15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 17:02:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weymouth Station - concerns raised and proposed improvements  (Read 8506 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2007, 18:19:07 »

Sad to report that SWT (South West Trains) are considering closing Weymouth travel centre owing to increasing use of telesales and the internet. More often than not it is closed owing to staff shortages (technical problems) but when it is open there is often a good queue of people making enquiries and buying advance tickets.

It seems the days of travel centres is almost at an end with very few stations left that have one. Was sad to see Bath lose its travel centre now it seems another one is about to go  Sad
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 22:09:10 »

From the Dorset Echo:

Gangs of alcoholics and drug addicts are greeting visitors at the ^gateway to Weymouth^.

Police today pledged to clamp down on antisocial behaviour including drug abusers and alcoholics who are plaguing Weymouth railway station.

Business owners and residents say the police regularly move on people who are hanging around outside the station but that the problem does not go away.

Paul Farwell, landlord of The Railway Tavern, said: ^When the council redid the roads here they told us this was going to be the gateway to Weymouth. But the first thing you see is a bunch of winos, beggars and social outcasts.^

When the Echo visited the area during the daytime a number of people were witnessed drinking in the station and on the steps outside and a man was using drugs in one of the phone boxes.

The station has been forced to close its public toilet because of ^persistent abuse^ according to a sign on the door.

A member of staff at the station, who didn^t want to be named, said: ^We^ve had issues with groups of drug users for a while now and recently it^s been so bad that we^ve had to shut our toilets.^

Weymouth cab drivers who pay ^285 a year for a licence to use the station rank, including access to the toilets, say this will cause an issue for them as well as railway passengers.

One driver said: ^It^s affecting our business because people don^t want to come through here and get a load of abuse.^

Jackie Prior, a member of staff at The Railway Tavern, said: ^It^s every single day. On Monday the police were called out five times. They come out and move people on but they just come right back when the officers are gone.^

Marcus Baldaro, a sales assistant at Discretion, said: ^It^s not inviting for visitors and with the Olympics next year it doesn^t give the best impression. I^ve reported it a few times when I^ve seen people shouting abuse.^

Ash Jarman, whose family runs the Queens Hotel, said: ^One of our windows was put through, which is rare, but unless something is done it will only get worse.^

Resident Freddie Chapman, 22, said: ^We get a lot of idiots around here and it doesn^t look good when people come in off the trains. It^s not a nice area. There was a fight a few days ago and there were people with blood all over their faces.^

A South West Trains spokesperson said: ^We^re extremely angry at recent unacceptable anti-social behaviour by gangs of men and women loitering at the station. This has been reported to the Dorset Police and the British Transport Police, and we are working with them to try to stamp out this problem.

^To protect our passengers and staff from some of the disgraceful behaviour, we have been forced to temporarily close the station toilets. We will continue to provide access to the disabled toilet, which rail passengers can use by speaking to a member of station staff. Alternatively, passengers can use the on-train toilets during their journey."

Community safety spokesman for Weymouth and Portland Borough Council Geoff Petherick said: ^We are working closely with the police to see what else can be done to improve the situation by reducing anti-social behaviour and by making sure that vulnerable people congregating around the station are aware that support agencies dealing with alcohol and drug use are available to them.^

Neil Wood, acting neighbourhood inspector for Weymouth and Portland police, said: ^We will be tackling this problem very, very robustly. Rest assured, you will be seeing a marked improvement over the coming weeks with more police officers tasked to deal with the issue. This will mean utilising the full powers of arrest, dispersal powers and seizing alcohol from people. We have had reports of drug use and will be actively making ^stop and search^ orders and arrests to deal with this. Longer term we will follow through in the criminal system by banning people from the area or from carrying on with this sort of behaviour. We have been liaising with public health authorities because of the issues of street drinkers to work on getting people the help they need. I give my word that things are going to be improving because we genuinely want to get this cracked and make it better for businesses and residents.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 21:11:58 »

From the Dorset Echo
http://bit.ly/wRBlwt
A total of ^280,000 is being spent on a project to make the station more welcoming and user-friendly in the year when thousands more visitors are expected to arrive by train.

A larger booking hall, access ramp, new toilets and baby changing facilities, extra seats and a shelter will all be provided in the new-look station.

South West Trains (SWT (South West Trains)) is working with Dorset County Council and the Olympic Delivery Authority to deliver the project, the first major revamp of the station since it was remodelled in 1986.

SWT says improvement work to the station will be carried out with minimal disruption to passengers and extra steps will be taken to keep the station open at all times. The work is due to be completed in May.
dorsetbeachcomber

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:40:48 »

From the Dorset Echo
http://bit.ly/wRBlwt
A total of ^280,000 is being spent on a project to make the station more welcoming and user-friendly in the year when thousands more visitors are expected to arrive by train.

A larger booking hall, access ramp, new toilets and baby changing facilities, extra seats and a shelter will all be provided in the new-look station.

South West Trains (SWT (South West Trains)) is working with Dorset County Council and the Olympic Delivery Authority to deliver the project, the first major revamp of the station since it was remodelled in 1986.

SWT says improvement work to the station will be carried out with minimal disruption to passengers and extra steps will be taken to keep the station open at all times. The work is due to be completed in May.

Platform 1, which is the main platform used by First Great Western trains, has never had a canopy. The new shelter is being constructed on that platform.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 20:02:04 »

From the Western Daily Press:

The last Saturday night train back to Bristol from the seaside town of Weymouth can be a nightmare journey, according to one woman who says she is now too frightened to brave travelling with drunken fellow passengers.

The woman, who has asked not to be identified, had used the line regularly in the early part of the summer to take walks along the coast. But she says brawling louts "are not just intimidating, they are frightening".

She accused Dorset Police of allowing troublemakers at Weymouth rail station to get on trains to get them out of Dorset, rather than dealing with them and nipping trouble in the bud.

A Dorset police spokesman said he was not aware of a problem, but a British Transport Police spokesman said there has been an historic issue, and officers have been patrolling the trains, working closely with First Great Western, and asking passengers to respect others, although it is not possible to patrol every single train.

There have been five arrests for drunk and disorderly behaviour on the last train out of Weymouth this summer.

The route, part of the Heart of Wessex route, is described by operator First Great Western, in an echo of Thomas Hardy's classic novel as "the perfect way to get Far From the Madding Crowd".

The woman said: "I have now stopped using the train and I have told everyone I know not to use it. It's awful these people should not be allowed on the train in the first place but police just shove them on the train to get rid of them. Sometimes the guards ask for the police to be at Dorchester when the train arrives there and the train waits there but police don't come.

"A few weeks ago in June, I was as on the train and the police were called and some people were arrested. Once a couple of guards were so frightened they called 999 and no-one came. They can be unbelievably drunk and there can be violence. It seems to stop once the train has got as far as Yeovil. They all seem to get out there."

Weymouth & Portland Traffic Inspector Neil Wood said: "I am not aware and have not had any complaints regarding this service.

"There was an issue with regards to antisocial behaviour around the area of Weymouth Station, and this was tackled at the start of the year with a police operation which significantly reduced the levels of crime and ASB in this area. At this moment in time statistics show that violent crime and ASB are reducing year on year in Weymouth.

"I would urge anyone who experiences crime or ASB at the station or on the train to report it as soon as possible for action to be taken."

First Great Western said: "We are working closely with the British Transport Police to address the issue of anti-social behaviour. This work continues."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 20:49:38 »

The last service off Weymouth does indeed have a history of being - err boisterous, to put it mildly, and whilst the "it is not possible to patrol every single train" is true, I do know that this service was patrolled every Saturday evening for a time - indeed I've travelled on the matching down service in the past with extra help (folks I happen to know) going down from well outside the troublesome section of the journey.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 21:27:47 »

From the British Transport Police
Do you know this man? BTP (British Transport Police) investigate after man robbed at Weymouth station

British Transport Police (BTP) officers are appealing for information after a man was searched and robbed at Weymouth station.

An investigation has been launched into the incident which happened on Sunday, 27 October 2012 around 4.20pm.

Detective Constable Phil James, investigating the incident, said:

^A man approached the 42-year-old victim and began demanding money from him.

^He then grabbed the victim^s jacket before rifling through his pockets and taking a twenty pound note from him.

^The victim, who was accompanied by his friend, shouted and managed to get away before reporting the incident to station staff.^

Extensive enquiries have been carried out since the incident and, as a result of these, BTP have identified the man in the CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) image as being crucial to the investigation.

DC (Direct Current) James added: ^I would now like to identify and speak to the man in the photograph as I believe he will have information which can assist police.

^I would urge anyone who knows the identity of this man, or his current whereabouts, to come forward and contact British Transport Police straight away.^

Anyone with information is asked to contact BTP on Freefone 0800 40 50 40, or the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

In all calls please quote incident reference B5/LSA of 14/11/12.
http://www.btp.presscentre.com/Media-Releases/Do-you-know-this-man-BTP-investigate-after-man-robbed-at-Weymouth-station-1d49.aspx
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 00:00:23 »

From the Dorset Echo:

Weymouth rail station gets secure mark

Efforts are being made at Weymouth railway station to deter crime and anti-social behaviour.

The terminus has been given an accreditation to recognise it is safe and secure, says station owner and Weymouth-Waterloo operator South West Trains. It is one of 24 to be given the secure station status, taking the total amount of the SWT (South West Trains) network to 103.

The secure station accreditation scheme is led by British Transport Police, in conjunction with the Department for Transport. It is a national scheme designed to recognise measures taken to improve station security and reassure passengers and staff that consistent efforts are being made to deter problems.

Head of Security and Revenue Protection for South West Trains ^ Network Rail Alliance Matthew Winnie said: ^It^s great news that these additional 24 stations have been re-accredited and we^re pleased that so many passengers can continue to enjoy a safe journey with us. It^s even more pleasing that our passengers are noticing the improvements we are making. The most recent independent national passenger survey demonstrated that passenger satisfaction with personal security has increased by four per cent since the previous survey. We will continue to work with the British Transport Police to make sure our stations and train services are as safe and secure as possible for the millions of passengers who use them every year.^

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:26:06 »

I thought the secure station scheme had been quitely dropped.

I think Taplow is supposed to be a secure station,  because it has a help point and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), which says it all.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 19:01:24 »

Avoncliff is a secure station, because it has, and probably needs, none of those accessories.

If you've never been there, make a plan to visit.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 23:07:43 »

Just make sure you let the guard know you want to alight, or wave to the driver if you want to get on, as if my memory serves me correctly it's usually a request stop...
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:03:34 »

Avoncliff is no longer a request stop. 1tph calling regardless in both directions throughout most of the day (Mon-Sat) since May 2011. Less frequent on Sundays but still a timetabled stop.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: