29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:21:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprinters replacing HSTs on Mondays in Cornwall  (Read 7451 times)
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« on: October 18, 2010, 20:44:18 »

I gather that as a result of engineering work between Plymouth and Liskeard on Sundays. most services formed of HSTs (High Speed Train) on Monday morning will now be replaced by Sprinters.  This is because Network Rail will not be re-opening the line until around 0530 Monday morning preventing FGW (First Great Western) from sending HSTs to Penzance first thing to form the morning services.

This morning the 0505 Golden Hind and the 0738 Penzance to Paddington was formed of two car Class 150 until Plymouth.  Severe overcrowding by Redruth on the 0738 as it is the main commuter service to Truro in the morning.  The 0702 Plymouth to Penzance was also formed of a Class 150 instead of normal HST with bus back up from St Austell.  This is because the HST was required at Plymouth for a Paddington service to replace a displaced HST due to the Liskeard engineering work.

Discussions with FGW staff indicates that this situation will continue each Monday until Network Rail finishes Sunday engineering possessions between Plymouth and Liskeard. You have been warned.....   
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 21:13:26 »

Thanks very much for that information, StuartStIves - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!

Chris.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 21:47:07 »

Now that really must be a joke! Please tell me you are winding us up.
jester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 22:29:31 »

These services this morning were BOTH failures at Penzance AFAIK (as far as I know)...!!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 22:32:06 »

Thanks, Jester!  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 23:04:17 »

The suggestion that this morning was unlucky and there happened to be 2 HST (High Speed Train) failures at Penzance makes slightly more sense I think. Normal practice in the past in situations like this has tended at the very least to involve "marooning" a few HSTs in the section that is cut off to allow for some kind of shuttle service during the engineering work and also the restoration of full services the following day.

One example of this that I have come across fairly frequently is, slightly bizarrely, a FGW (First Great Western) HST shuttling between Carmarthen and Swansea during Cardiff-Swansea weekend closures, which certainly provided plenty of seating capacity but did look like a rather "gold plated" solution...anyone know if that still happens?
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 13:38:32 »

Definately train faults.

One had a reverser fault, one had a dead powercar.
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 23:45:13 »

The 0505 may have been to cover an HST (High Speed Train) failure but the 0738 Penzance to Paddington will definitely be a Class 150 as far as Plymouth on Mondays up to and including the 8 November.  The busiest train of the morning in Cornwall.  Plymouth-Saltash possession is not re-opened until 0530.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:38 »

Is 2 hours not enough to get an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) HST (High Speed Train) from Plymouth to Penzance? Seems utter madness to me! There are lots of HST's sat around doing very little on a Sunday - surely one could be left in Cornwall.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 16:50:14 »

Is 2 hours not enough to get an ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) HST (High Speed Train) from Plymouth to Penzance? Seems utter madness to me! There are lots of HST's sat around doing very little on a Sunday - surely one could be left in Cornwall.

I rather suspect that Long Rock doesn't have the room.
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 15:22:25 »

I rather suspect Long Rock would have room owing to there being no Sleeper and no Voyagers in the locality due to the above mentioned blockade.
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 22:10:31 »

I've received a reply from FGW (First Great Western) that reads as follows:

"I can confirm that this was not a planned change as a result of engineering work. It was due to two separate HST (High Speed Train) problems at Penzance. 

It is possible that the confusion at St Erth around the cause was because we suffered a failure over the weekend with a power car not starting. It was then ^trapped^ in Cornwall due to the engineering work.  Despite our efforts to restart it, including renewing a starter motor, the fault remained and the set was unavailable for service on Monday morning. This was a train fault however and not the fault of the engineering works per se. 

We then suffered a power problem on another power car during train preparation at the depot. This happened not long before booked departure time.  Fortunately we were able to rectify the power problem on the second power car in time to work the 10.00 Penzance - Paddington service.

I can appreciate however that this was not of any help to you. We are looking at the way we dealt with the situation, and [FGW's Engineering Director] and his team are looking specifically at how we deployed the rolling stock that was available to us.

However I trust you are reassured that this is not something that we planned to do, or indeed intend to do again in future weeks"

However, the staff at St Erth told me the 0738 from Penzance to Paddington  was a planned substitution not an emergency replacement due to HST failure  So we'll see what happens on Monday.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 20:16:52 by StuartStIves » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 11:56:22 »

Good to see a detailed honest reply.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 15:10:16 »

This morning Monday 25th All Sprinters allocated to Sprinter turns at Penzance including 2x150s on the 0600 Exeter and a full compiment of HSTs (High Speed Train) at Long Rock, so all should have been ok barring any failures Roll Eyes
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 16:54:22 »

...all of which would suggest that the FGW (First Great Western) staff cited, and the assertion that the 0738 PNZ-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) will "definitely be a 150 as far as Plymouth on Mondays" were a little wide of the mark!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: