15:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 16:50:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: St Ives branch line - timetables, engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 20178 times)
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« on: October 22, 2010, 22:52:38 »

The current 0728 St Ives to St Erth will run 10 minutes earlier from 13 December. Does anyone no why as if it still departed at 0728 it would still make the connections for Penzance and Paddington.

The 0700 St Ives to St Erth goes completely, but this was a remnant of the days when Cross Country still had a train from St Erth at 0736. It hasn't connected with anything for a number of years.   
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 23:37:52 »

Has it got anything to do with the sleeper coming through earlier ?

St Ives branch has done many odd things in the past like timetabling to just miss St Erth connections but when speed was not a particular issue drives usually made sure people got where they were intending to go.
The stopping patterns can be a bit frustrating and I've seen folk stuck on the train as it shuttles up and down trying to get off only too see their station pass by.

Good to see the line doing so well now - revenue collection is as good as you'll see anywhere - nice to see groupsave offered (occasionally) on what is quite an expensive trip. (worth it for the view)

Seeing the volume of people coming into St Ives by train I wonder if an earlier start on summer sundays would would work - nothing before midday.

jester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 23:44:55 »

Summer sundays always begin at 9a.m. form the Penzance end? Its winter when they go back to midday..!
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 00:04:46 »

Summer sundays always begin at 9a.m. form the Penzance end? Its winter when they go back to midday..!

Not surprising I missed that as I work sundays  Cry

chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 00:11:03 »

The 0700 St Ives to St Erth goes completely, but this was a remnant of the days when Cross Country still had a train from St Erth at 0736. It hasn't connected with anything for a number of years.   

I'd put money on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) not crossing the Albert Bridge next year.
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 19:48:01 »

Not about the sleeper. That will depart St Erth 0746 from the December timetable change, except Mondays when it departs 0844 and an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) service departs at 0746 instead. The current 0728 from St Ives is timetabled to arrive St Erth at 0741 and is often 2 minutes early, so there would be no problem making that connection if it continued at this time after the timetable change.

StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 20:04:16 »

With Cornwall Council possibly withdrawing Sunday Bus Services (see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-11581472 )

perhaps First Great Western will see a business opportunity for running St Ives branch Sunday mornings all year round. Apart from National Express Coaches, the branch line may become the only public transport St Ives has on a Sunday (unless McNulty cuts that too).
Cornish Traveller

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 19:59:48 »

I would expect they would reduce bus frequency on inter - urban routes like St Ives - PNZ on Sundays (every 2hrs in winter ?) rather than scrap the whole route, does Cornwall Council contract specific journeys  with bus companies or use some other "block" type payments ?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 23:08:20 »

I'd put money on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) not crossing the Albert Bridge next year.

I'll take that bet. CrossCountry have a Franchise Service Level Commitment to adhere to. There's been no discussion, as far as I'm aware, with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), for a change to the Franchise Agreement for the May or December 2011 timetables. XC would have to get a hurry on to request such changes. I'm not sure the DfT would accede to a request for XC to remove Cornwall from its timetable.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 00:51:10 »

I'll take that bet. CrossCountry have a Franchise Service Level Commitment to adhere to. There's been no discussion, as far as I'm aware, with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), for a change to the Franchise Agreement for the May or December 2011 timetables. XC would have to get a hurry on to request such changes. I'm not sure the DfT would accede to a request for XC to remove Cornwall from its timetable.

FGW (First Great Western) have already taken on the 17:55 service down from Plymouth that XC used to run, last winter the 08:30 from PNZ often failed to appear citing crew problems.

Puzzles me how XC ever got the franchise as I quite liked the Virgin setup - all a bit whackey.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:25 »

Puzzles me how XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) ever got the franchise as I quite liked the Virgin setup - all a bit whackey.

DfT» (Department for Transport - about) wrote the current XC timetable AFAICT (as far as I can tell). The move to a standardised hourly timetable (eg all Bournemouth services going to Man Picc) with all nearly all the odd calls at the extremities cancelled was basically specified by the ITT (Invitation to Tender).

Paul
Coombe Stn

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 15:06:56 »

The 06.37 Penzance - St Ives and 07.00 St Ives - St Erth are most likely withdrawn owing to lack of use Undecided
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 21:07:08 »

The 06.37 Penzance - St Ives and 07.00 St Ives - St Erth are most likely withdrawn owing to lack of use Undecided

0637 is replaced by an 0655 Penzance to St Ives. Bizarrely this is timetabled to arrive St Ives 0717 and gives a one minute turnround to form the 0718 to St Erth! Can't help thinking that if it was still the 0728 to St Erth this might be a bit more resiliant.
StuartStIves

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 21:13:50 »

I would expect they would reduce bus frequency on inter - urban routes like St Ives - PNZ on Sundays (every 2hrs in winter ?) rather than scrap the whole route, does Cornwall Council contract specific journeys  with bus companies or use some other "block" type payments ?

Devon have withdrawn all sunday buses to Kingsbridge apart from two a day to/from Totnes and Exeter. The more regular Sunday buses between Kingsbridge and Plymouth/Dartmouth have been totally withdrawn. Bet they wished the Kingsbridge branch line was still open.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 20:32:18 »

The currently hourly Penzance to St Ives Sunday bus service is actually pretty well used!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: