09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 09:20:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[126] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[106] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[21] access for all at Devon stations report
[13] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[11] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol to London - evening peak?  (Read 7300 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2010, 16:21:31 »

On my infrequent visits to London, I normally travel at the weekend or in the middle of the day so simply buy Super Off-Peaks.  I know absolutely nothing about the weekday fares.

I need to travel to London on Wednesday 8th December.  The event I'm attending at South Kensington starts at 12:30 but I don't know what time I'll be finishing (likely to be between 3pm and 4:30pm).

Quite fortunately, I happen to have no lectures on that day, so I can travel out at any time in the morning, provided it gets me there in time.

The ticket restrictions in NFM07 have freaked me out - they are probably the most confusing restrictions I've seen.  Plus there's the "no HST (High Speed Train) during certain times" rule, which I can't remember.

Advance tickets on the return are too expensive, so I'll be looking at walk-up fares.

Can someone with a little more knowledge help me out with which ticket to purchase.  I'll be travelling from Redland.  Does splitting somewhere on the way (possibly Didcot) make the fare cheaper or ease the restrictions?

Thanks in advance
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 17:30:34 »

As you don't seem to be too time-constrained, the slower route via Salisbury might be an option. Waterloo might even work out more convenient for South Ken, albeit with a change at Embankment, compared to a direct Circle Line trip from Paddington. (Also some options with change at Clapham Junction to the West London Line, but again not direct to South Kensington).

Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) offers an Off-Peak Day Return from Redland to London via Salisbury for ^28.10 (no Railcard, haven't checked Underground/Travelcard). Valid on anything arriving at London after 10am, and no peak restrictions. I don't know what time the morning direct service from Bristol arrives at Waterloo, but it might suit your schedule.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 17:43:46 »

Ooh, hadn't thought of that option.

I had planned to be on foot in London.  Only about 1.5 miles from Paddington.  Quite a bit further from Waterloo, but the fare is much cheaper (^18.55 with railcard), so a few tube fares on the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card could be reasonable.

I could easily take the Pompey service (and get my 158 fix) then hop over to a Waterloo service at Salisbury.  Although the journey is at least 3 hours - which isn't great.

I've just noticed yet another crazy fare for my hall of fame.  CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) (route WMN» (Warminster - next trains)/SAL) from Redland to London Terminals is ^28.10 (fare set by FGW (First Great Western)), whereas Temple Meads to London Terminals is ^37.60 (fare set by SWT (South West Trains)).  Both have restriction C4.  Both allow break of journey.  You honestly couldn't make it up.
Hafren

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 17:56:25 »

If you were happy to walk from Paddington, what about Kensington Olympia? I've no idea how far it is on foot from South K, but I believe a ticket to London Terminals would permit you to go there. If you catch a Waterloo train that stops at Clapham  you could change there for Olympia, and miss out the Underground altogether if it's within your walking range.

I think about half the Salisbury-Waterloos stop at Clapham, but in the up direction when using the route during the day I seem to remember the Pompeys connecting me onto ones that don't.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 17:59:16 »

Kensington Olympia isn't part of London Terminals anymore.  The fares to there are pricier than London Terminals.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 20:27:36 »

I've just noticed yet another crazy fare for my hall of fame.  CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) (route WMN» (Warminster - next trains)/SAL) from Redland to London Terminals is ^28.10 (fare set by FGW (First Great Western)), whereas Temple Meads to London Terminals is ^37.60 (fare set by SWT (South West Trains)).  Both have restriction C4.  Both allow break of journey.  You honestly couldn't make it up.

Save a few more pennies, buy the Waterloo via Salisbury CDR from Shirehampton, not Redland. Only ^27.10 (^17.90 with railcard)

You can of course split at Bristol and Didcot with: SDR Redland - Temple Meads ^2.00 (^1.00); CDR Temple Meads - Didcot ^18.80 (^12.40); CDR Didcot to Paddington ^20.00 (^13.20).

TOTAL: ^40.80 (^26.60).

More expensive but you do then have the option of taking the 0930 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) straight through on the way up. You will need to take a non-express out of PAD on the return it you are travelling between 1600-1900 though.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 20:56:47 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 20:46:39 »

Looks like the train may end up losing out to the coach (which is a shame as I don't like travelling by coach).

Megabus are ^5.00 for a return, National Express ^12 but with free wifi.

Lets just hope the fares stay the same whilst I make my final arrangements for the day.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 21:05:15 »

Is there really free wi-fi on NatEx between Bristol and London? They've kept that quiet - can't find any info on the NatEx website.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 07:51:39 »

Is there really free wi-fi on NatEx between Bristol and London? They've kept that quiet - can't find any info on the NatEx website.
Some of the NX coaches that travel down the M4 have a large advert on the back advertising free wi-fi on board this coach.  Perhaps I've wrongly assumed this includes all their coaches?
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 14:15:39 »

The 010 coaches from CBG-VIC have wifi on board, and is advertised on the NX website.
I dont know about the 040's

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 15:00:25 »

Megabus are ^5.00 for a return, National Express ^12 but with free wifi.

^7 wifi surely  Tongue
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 15:09:46 »

^7 wifi surely  Tongue
I suppose, but otherwise I'd have to buy some internet for the dongle.  Cheapest is ^10 for 1GB to use within 1 month (unless anyone can suggest an operator who allows single days to be bought on PAYG (Pay as you go)).
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 16:51:20 »

3 charge ^2.00 for 500MB of Data, but that only lasts one day Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 16:55:46 »

3 charge ^2.00 for 500MB of Data, but that only lasts one day Wink
Thank you - I'm actually on 3 but didn't know about this - all those ^10 topups I've been making just to get one or two days access Roll Eyes Grin

Might as well be Megabus now.  Just hope the prices stay the same until the date when I book.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 19:08:18 »

I've pulled myself back onto the train idea.  This is what I'll be buying:
Redland - Bristol Temple Meads (SDR) ^1.00
Bristol Temple Meads - Didcot (CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day'))) ^12.40 (after 0915 morning and no evening restriction)
Didcot - LONDON ZONES 1-6 (ODT) ^15.20 (valid after 1915 on the return)

Total is ^28.60, compared to ^32.20 for a Redland - London SSR.

The travelcard only added ^2 onto the price, which is much cheaper than using my Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card.

Main reason for using the train was the flexibility in being able to choose my return time, rather than being tied to a specific service.  Will probably end up wandering round London for the afternoon (unless I can get to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) before 4pm) - I'm sure there must be a Spoons near Paddington!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: