29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:52:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: How many checks?  (Read 12048 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 27, 2010, 21:10:02 »

We sometimes worry about tickets not being checked ... I've been away for a few days and returned today - counted 9 ticket checks (manual or gate) on the rail part of the journey ... and I suspect this isn't a record.

Norwich - Gateline
On Train (near Stowmarket)
Liverpool Street - National Rail Gateline
Liverpool Street - Tube Gateline
Paddington - Tube Gateline
Paddington - National Rail Gateline
On train (between London and Reading)
On train (between Didcot and Swindon)
On train (between Swindon and Chippenham)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 00:44:07 »

Teatime HST (High Speed Train) down from Plymouth today - no check.

Passengers sat in the aisles, vestibules rammed, 15 mins down at Penzance.

Not much relief on the way down as numbers leaving were matched by those boarding. 

dog box

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:37:40 »

Teatime HST (High Speed Train) down from Plymouth today - no check.

Passengers sat in the aisles, vestibules rammed, 15 mins down at Penzance.

Not much relief on the way down as numbers leaving were matched by those boarding. 

...on a train as you have described Safety of the train is of more importance than checking tickets

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:09 »

Did the person checking tickets ask for "all tickets" or was it just the willy-nilly "tickets from x"?

The latter is something that really bugs me.  "Tickets from Bristol Temple Meads" whilst I'm sat there thinking "you only boarded this train at Temple Meads, how do you know who has a valid ticket?"
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:05 »

normally because the departing guard has actually given you a verbal handover of the train telling you of any problems and saying i have done tickets up to Bristol ..if the tickets have been checked by a colleague who tells me they are all in order why on earth wolud i want to do them again

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 13:51:46 »

The latter is something that really bugs me.  "Tickets from Bristol Temple Meads" whilst I'm sat there thinking "you only boarded this train at Temple Meads, how do you know who has a valid ticket?"

And of those travelling without tickets always pipe up and confess when asked!  Roll Eyes
All very well taking the attitude that a particular train may have already been fully checked or that a particular station has barriers but there's nothing to stop anyone buying a ticket from RDG(resolve)-RDW and then getting a free ride to a station of their choice!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 14:59:03 »

All very well taking the attitude that a particular train may have already been fully checked or that a particular station has barriers but there's nothing to stop anyone buying a ticket from RDG(resolve)-RDW and then getting a free ride to a station of their choice!

Absolutely!

Back in the day, BR (British Rail(ways))'s ticket examining instructions explicitly required that following a staff changeover a full ticket check was required.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 15:09:42 »

Did the person checking tickets ask for "all tickets" or was it just the willy-nilly "tickets from x"?

From Paddington - complete check
From Didcot - complete check
From Swindon - "Tickets from Reading and Swindon"; note that I had dropped back a train - I'd been on the 11:48 Paddington to Cheltenham Train and dropped back at Swindon to the 12:00 ex Paddington.   As my ticket was not from either Reading or Swindon (it was actually from Norwich!) I'm unclear as to whether I was being asked to present it ...

But, really, unpredicable checking patterns are probably the most effective!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 10:51:07 »

From Swindon - "Tickets from Reading and Swindon"; note that I had dropped back a train - I'd been on the 11:48 Paddington to Cheltenham Train and dropped back at Swindon to the 12:00 ex Paddington.   As my ticket was not from either Reading or Swindon (it was actually from Norwich!) I'm unclear as to whether I was being asked to present it ...

Don't you think that the checker meant "Tickets please from those boarding at Didcot or Swindon?.....I do!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 23:50:12 »

From Swindon - "Tickets from Reading and Swindon"; note that I had dropped back a train - I'd been on the 11:48 Paddington to Cheltenham Train and dropped back at Swindon to the 12:00 ex Paddington.   As my ticket was not from either Reading or Swindon (it was actually from Norwich!) I'm unclear as to whether I was being asked to present it ...

Don't you think that the checker meant "Tickets please from those boarding at Didcot or Swindon?.....I do!
Regardless of all that tho.. as as been mentioned.. that requires people to "fess up" as to where they got on... or keep quiet and travel free.. i've never understaood those type of ticket checks...
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 13:07:28 »

It's interesting to see ticket checks on the Salisbury to Waterloo Mainline... I get normally get checked once between Waterloo and Salisbury (SWT (South West Trains)) and then left to my devices, but rarely checked between Salisbury and Westbury. Although in saying that, I was ticket checked between Salisbury and Warminster the other day and was even asked to present my disabled railcard...!

FGW (First Great Western) I seem to note in First Class are quite heavy on ticket checks between BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) and PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) on peak services too, you'll often get asked for a ticket by the Customer Host and then the TM(resolve) a bit later in the journey.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 17:11:24 »

I was always told that Customer Hosts cannot insist on seeing your tickets as they are not "authorised persons" i.e. not revenue trained.

obviously the TM(resolve) is.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 10:31:24 »

I was always told that Customer Hosts cannot insist on seeing your tickets

probably true, but they can ask and if you don;t show they can fetch the TM(resolve).

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:46 »

And refuse to offer you their First Class freebies!
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 13:18:42 »

Travelling back from Southampton to Reading on Saturday night, we did not get checked once! Even though the TM(resolve) walked through the carriage, asking for tickets from thouse that had joined, dispite getting out tickets out every time, not once did he slow down enough to check them. Its no wonder so many people get away with travelling without correct tickets and therefore putting the fares up for the rest of us.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: