Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:25:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many checks?  (Read 12052 times)
Commuting Bookworm

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2010, 16:32:05 »

Thanks Insprector Blakey,
It worries me on two fronts about the fact that its the same guards that don't check the tickets. The first is fare dodgers are responsable partly for fare increases. Also I have been on a train at night, when trouble has kicked off (normally with a drunk) and could have done with it being resolved by the guard, but of course they do not come out of their little cubby hole then. Some times I have wondered why they bother having CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), it only seems to act as a warning for them to stay hidden.

I know they say report it to the police but when the trouble is in the same carraige, there is no way its possable to call the police and for the trouble maker not to know. Like I say this has happened twice to me now.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 17:46:50 »

I occasionally travel on National Express East Anglia or c2c services. One thing i've notice on all the times i've travelled with c2c is that there has been NO ticket checks whatsoever! I had a slight issue with a ticket machine at 4AM at Chalkwell station. I wanted a particular ticket that I looked for 10 minutes trying to find, but couldn't find it... So I was left in a position of: Do I get on the train, ticketless and risk a nasty Penalty Fare? Or do I just buy the Standard Day Single to London and then buy a Zone 1 Single...?? I opted for the latter, and during the journey I encountered no ticket checks, nor any gatelines. But what is the ruling on this if you can't buy the ticket you want, considering most services are DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard))...??

Also with NXEA (National Express East Anglia) - I normally travel First Class during late evenings, mainly to avoid the drunks and local pond life. But I always end up sharing the compartment with them anyway!! But they never seem from my experience to do late night ticket checks or remove said pond life from First Class... But because NXEA operate a strict Penalty Fare scheme, I don't particularly want to be in the position of sitting in First Class with a Standard ticket, then getting PF (Penalty Fare)'d!! Yes it does say on their website that Disabled Railcard holders are entitled to use their railcard on the their trains with no risk of PF's... But Virgin Trains also said that, and I ended up being collared for ^70 for a Standard Anytime Single, which supposively had a free Weekend First upgrade, but Buffet Car staff and First Class Lounge staff said NO!! Angry

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: