27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
17:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
15:59 Cardiff Central to Taunton
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 20:57 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 12:37:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Timetabling clash?  (Read 4594 times)
Pedros

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:30:38 »

Hi all, I was hoping someone could shed some light on something that is slowly burning away my sanity...

Every morning I catch the 06.58 service from Swindon - Paddington (orginates from Swansea) and change at Reading to head off to Guildford.  However, if the train is on time, whenever we approach Didcot we always seem to slow, quite often crawl through or stop at Didcot Parkway before heading off again, which obviously causes knock on delays to the train by the time it reaches Reading. For example, this morning we were just outside Didcot at 07.11, slowed and crawled for some time, and finally arrived at Reading at 07.34 (not massive delays granted), but as my connection to Guildford leaves at 07.34 I either make the train by the skin of my teeth or miss it by a matter of seconds.  Oddly, if the train leaves Swindon late, it often arrives at Reading on time (07.28)

I assume that the reason we slow at Didcot is because either there is something crossing the main line to head towards Oxford or something joining the main line in front of us.  I was just wondering what it was (so that I can direct my inward grumblings)  Can any educated person shed some light on this? 

Thanks (hope this all makes sense...)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 13:10:14 »

Probably waiting for the 07:09 HST (High Speed Train) to leave platform 4 (it comes from Great Malvern), cross over to the up main in front of you and then clear the section ahead.  There's not much room for manoeuvring at that time of the morning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 13:32:37 »

Dont suppose the 0709 could be late sometimes? As there is a good 5 mins between that leaving and sheduled time for your train to pass (0714). As I notice today your train lost time at didcot and further more by reading and the 0709 left didcot 3 late.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 13:46:48 »

Oddly enough the working timetable shows this service is booked to arrive into RDG(resolve) a minute later than the public timetable at 0729. The same is also true with the service in front from GMV working arrival time is 0726.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 13:51:43 »

Dont suppose the 0709 could be late sometimes?

Given the time it takes to depart platform 4 and cross over to the main line and then get two signal sections clear, it would be getting on for 07:14 before a train hurtling along at 125mph on the Up Main would see nothing but green signals. even if the 07:09 departed bang on time.  Also, because the signals are 3-aspect on that stretch of the main line any single yellow aspect means the driver has to apply the brakes hard and long to cut the speed enough to please the ATP (Automatic Train Protection) - even if he can see the next signal has stepped up to a yellow or green.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Pedros

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 14:25:16 »

Thanks guys, that really helps explain it.  I will direct my frowning to all those dithering people at Malvern, Worcester, Evesham, Oxford etc etc  Tongue  The services do seem quite congested at that time of the morning too (the service from Cheltenham is usually in hot pursuit of ours)

I'll just have to suck it up and console myself with a bacon roll each time I miss my connection (this could well see me reach mammoth proportions come Xmas)  Do feel free to point and laugh if you see me sitting on the benches by Platform 4a
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 15:48:22 »

Sounds like if you don't have one already you should get yourself a BiTE card - it's free and those bacon rolls may end up 20% cheaper!
Pedros

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 16:24:08 »

Indeed, I am one step ahead!  I'm planning on single handedly making the BiteCard the most costly thing the catering industry has ever introduced.  How I like the taste and texture of microwaved bread...
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 20:57:01 »

Railway staff can also use their "staff travel pass" i.e. not the boxes to get 20% off as well. Although this is an unofficial arrangement.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 21:00:21 »

Just don't attempt to use it to buy a can of beer from Taunton's Pumpkin Cafe. The staff there are still under the misapprehension the BiTE card cannot be used to purchase alcoholic beverages.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 21:08:23 »

Pedantic I know, but there is no "connection" off the 0658 from Swindon into the 0734 to Guildford at Reading. The minimum interchange time at Reading is 7 minutes, so you would have to leave Swindon at 0641 to make a connection into the 0734.

I know there are many who make these unofficial "connections", but I think you should be happy if you make it and stoic if you don't - enjoy the coffee opportunity!

Its well understood that getting the service right from Oxford is key to a good morning peak service between Didcot and Padd. And that means that services off the Cotswolds must be punctual. Hence the justification for the redoubling is not just about its effect on Cotswold services - its also very much about its impact on the Thames Valley overall.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 21:58:58 »

Railway staff can also use their "staff travel pass" i.e. not the boxes to get 20% off as well. Although this is an unofficial arrangement.

Indeed.  I have it, on impeccable authority, that FGW (First Great Western) staff prefer to use a legitimate BiTE card, rather than their FGW staff pass, in order to avoid any possible allegations of 'misuse of staff terms'.

CfN.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 23:55:51 »

Indeed.  I have it, on impeccable authority, that FGW (First Great Western) staff prefer to use a legitimate BiTE card, rather than their FGW staff pass, in order to avoid any possible allegations of 'misuse of staff terms'.

CfN.  Lips sealed

I have 2 bite cards, believe the only BR (British Rail(ways)) priv in the Buffet is for an OCS (One Control Switch) cup of tea! Wonder if that's still valid?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 04:54:36 »

A couple of years ago I ended up in the buffet at Bristol Parkway with an old friend who is ex-BR (British Rail(ways)) staff. He offered me a cup of tea and told me proudly about the 20% discount he was able to get because of his previous employment and seemed just a little disappointed when I produced a BiTE card which gave me the same discount, even though he had to work for BR for many years and I just spent 5 minutes filling in a web form!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: