Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Short Run
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:23 Par to Newquay
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 18:47:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[100] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[88] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[78] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Six arrested after train brawl - Exeter to Barnstaple, 29/10/2010  (Read 3503 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: November 03, 2010, 23:25:55 »

From thisisnorthdevon:

Six men from North Devon were arrested following a brawl on a train to Barnstaple.

Fighting broke out between a group of men travelling on the 4.57pm train from Exeter St David's to Barnstaple on Friday, October 29.

British Transport Police believe the fight was witnessed by about 100 people, some of whom may have been injured in the process.

Police believe the brawl was sparked by events that happened earlier that day after officers attended a disturbance involving two groups of men in Queen Street near Exeter Central station.

Officers separated the men and travelled with one of the groups to Exeter St David's rail station to ensure they caught the Barnstaple service.

However, shortly after the train left Exeter St David's, it emerged that a man from the second group had also got on the train.

Fighting broke out when members of the first group spotted the man and moved into the carriage he was in.

DC (Direct Current) Dean Jeffery, investigating officer, said: "Members of the public, including families with children, witnessed the disturbance and some tried to separate both parties. I would urge anyone who saw what happened, or was hurt during this incident, to come forward. Incidents like this are very rare but all members of the public and rail staff have the right to travel without having to witness such distressing scenes."

Six men from North Devon were arrested on suspicion of affray following the incident and have been bailed until November 15, 16 and 17 pending further enquiries.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 00:42:03 »

A follow up to this story from the British Transport Police:

Crediton woman commended by British Transport Police Chief Constable for bravery on train - Exeter

A woman who intervened to stop a fight between two groups of men from escalating on board a busy train in Devon has been presented with a bravery award by British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)).

Naomi Spencer, 45, of Crediton, Devon, was presented with the award by BTP Chief Constable Andrew Trotter during a ceremony held at the British Medical Association building in Tavistock Square, London, on Friday, 15 March 2013.

Single-mum Ms Spencer, a hairdresser at Headstart in The Guildhall, Exeter, was commended for putting herself at considerable risk after stepping in to prevent the two groups from fighting on a busy commuter service to Barnstaple on Friday, 29 October 2010.

The two groups had clashed earlier in the evening in a pub in Exeter over a historic murder. Police became involved and split the groups up but members of both factions later caught the same train and tensions flared once again after the 1657hrs service departed from Exeter St Davids station.

Ms Spencer, who was returning home to Crediton, said she stepped in when one man entered the carriage she was in and began provoking six members of the rival group.

She said: ^The six lads started having a go back at this other one lad who was already covered in blood from the earlier fight. Okay, he^d had a go at them but I didn^t really care about what had gone on beforehand. I just thought six against one? That^s not on. There was a lot of swearing and bad language. I^m a single mum and I thought I can^t let this happen on a busy train. A lot of the passengers seemed worried about what might happen. It was out of order so I told them to pack it in and I gave them clear instructions that I wanted them to stay apart. I just wanted everyone on the train to be safe. I think if I would have ignored things, the situation would have got far worse. I^m a short, dumpy woman ^ but I just gave them a ^mum^ look and told them to stop messing around. I just wanted to get home ^ as did everyone else on the train. It was a Friday evening, I was tired and I just wanted it to stop.^

Due to the ongoing incident, the train driver was given permission to reverse the train back into Exeter St Davids station so that it could be met by BTP officers who dealt with the youths involved.

Ms Spencer added: ^I didn^t really think about what I was doing at the time. I just thought, I^m a mum and I have a son ^ if he was in this position, I^d hope that someone would do the same as me and stop the situation from escalating.^

BTP Chief Constable Andrew Trotter said: ^I was very pleased to be able to present Naomi with such a prestigious award for her incredibly brave actions, which were absolutely outstanding and undoubtedly prevented the situation between these two groups becoming far worse.^

Well done her, I say.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: