29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 01:33:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Expansion of Cross Country services from December  (Read 5354 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:08:20 »

To confirm a rare bit of good news concerning the Cross Country franchise (that I think Paul first told us about a few months ago?), Cross Country are extending some of their Reading to Newcastle services to/from Southampton from the timetable change.  This should help even out the loadings on the busy Bournemouth to Manchester services a little as well as reintroducing direct services approximately every two hours between Southampton, Southampton Airport, Winchester and Basingstoke to Derby, Sheffield, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Durham and Newcastle.  The 13:46 from Southampton also reintroduces a once-daily direct service to Scotland (Edinburgh) - though this isn't the case in the reverse direction.

Saturdays are similar, with the one Newcastle service starting back from Bournemouth as it does now - a little early at 06:25!  The Sunday service is a right hotch-potch with engineering work meaning the South Coast services run to Manchester for part of the timetable, and Newcastle for the rest.

To summarise:

Northbound:
08:41 Reading to Newcastle starts Winchester (08:18) - 07:47 from Southampton Central on Saturdays
10:41 Reading to Newcastle starts Southampton Central (09:46)
12:41 Reading to Newcastle starts Southampton Central (11:46)
14:41 Reading to Edinburgh starts Southampton Central (13:46)
16:41 Reading to Newcastle starts Southampton Central (15:47)
18:41 Reading to York starts Southampton Central (17:46)

Southbound:
06:33 Birmingham New Street to Reading extended to Southampton Central (09:17)
06:15 Leeds to Reading extended to Southampton Central (11:16)
07:23 Newcastle to Reading extended to Southampton Central (13:17)
09:35 Newcastle to Reading extended to Southampton Central (15:17)
11:27 Newcastle to Reading extended to Southampton Central (17:17)
13:34 Newcastle to Reading extended to Southampton Central (19:53) - diverted from Basingstoke so takes ages!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 14:18:16 »

Do you know if any stop at Tamworth. My cousin travels from his boat to Southampton several times a year using Tamworth. He would be pleased not to have to change at New Street.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 14:30:45 »

I'm pretty sure they don't.  Stops at Tamworth, Burton-On-Trent and even Chesterfield have gone out of the window, as they are now served by XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) on their other routes from the South West to the North East and the Nottingham to Cardiff services. 

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 14:34:15 »

It seems strange that the longest route (Plymouth to Edinburgh) seems to have the most stops in the Midlands and get routed the slowest way via Leeds.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 17:29:46 »

This should help even out the loadings on the busy Bournemouth to Manchester services a little as well as reintroducing direct services approximately every two hours between Southampton, Southampton Airport, Winchester and Basingstoke to Derby, Sheffield, Doncaster, York, Darlington, Durham and Newcastle.  The 13:46 from Southampton also reintroduces a once-daily direct service to Scotland (Edinburgh) - though this isn't the case in the reverse direction.

Not all of the extra services will call at WIN or SOA, so double the screens if you're travelling on them.
As you pointed out the 1334 NCL to SOU (1633 from BHM) diverts via Laverstock so arrives at Southampton after the following service from Manchester.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 20:05:33 »

Weekday Up services are about as random as they can be...

0801 starts Winchester as expected, due to pathing or platforming problems in Southampton in the am peak apparently,
so obviously misses the first two calls.
Of the remaining 5 Southampton starts,
The 0946 misses Winchester
The 1146 calls at all 'normal' stops
The 1346 misses Parkway and Winchester
The 1547 misses Parkway and Winchester
The 1746 misses Parkway

This is really weird - I can't can't see an obvious problem that prevents the missing calls, and the running times between Southampton Central and Basingstoke are all basically the same, 31 or 32 mins throughout the day.  I did think originally these might just be NR» (Network Rail - home page) timetable glitches, but it seems not.

So can anyone come up with a practical reason for these gaps? 

PS - I doubt it is a revenue issue, as all the down trains call normally, except the via Laverstock one in the early evening...

Paul

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:02 »

Weekday Up services are about as random as they can be...

I did think originally these might just be NR» (Network Rail - home page) timetable glitches, but it seems not.

So can anyone come up with a practical reason for these gaps? 

Especially considering they become down services at either Basingstoke or Reading (not sure which!).  I suppose it might be a NR glitch - the timings I got are from the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) website (another to upload their new schedules nice and early), but there do appear to be some problems with their darker shading for through trains on a number of services indicating that all might not be as it seems!

The only other answer I can come up with is that NR are preventing them from stopping due to pathing issues with northbound Inter-Model trains - no shortage of them these days!

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:38:50 »

"As you pointed out the 1334 NCL to SOU (1633 from BHM) diverts via Laverstock so arrives at Southampton after the following service from Manchester."

Is that going to be regular routing if so will it be the same price to travel from Reading to Southampton?

A bit of track bashing I've not done the Laverstock curve, or Foxhall for that matter something to do after Christmas.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:56:27 by eightf48544 » Logged
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 17:51:35 »

...but there do appear to be some problems with their darker shading for through trains on a number of services indicating that all might not be as it seems!

The darker shading (in the columns?) is catering availability.  Angry  That does seem to be a change for this timetable though...

"As you pointed out the 1334 NCL to SOU (1633 from BHM) diverts via Laverstock so arrives at Southampton after the following service from Manchester."

Is that going to be regular routing if so will it be the same price to travel from Reading to Southampton?

A bit of track bashing I've not done the Laverstock curve, or Foxhall for that matter something to do after Christmas.

Never been a problem when I've done it in earlier timetables. A Sat evening down train and a Sun morning up train went that way in service until a couple of years ago. Routeing wise it's covered by the 'advertised through train' rule - it's just another Reading - Southampton journey.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 17:55:32 »

For 15th December (an example) it comes up as 7.00 advanced purchase / 15.60 anytime single on this train and on those before and after it.   From Birmingham buy-on-the-day is 63 pounds, with a 21 pounds advanced fare ... but an advanced fare of 47.50 on the train before and the train after - so it can be cheaper  Wink

If you put in "Avoid Winchester" from Reading, it becomes the only train offered - looks like the system is well set up.  And if you "avoid Winchester" from Birmingham, you're offered the 16:33 and other trains that are change at Bristol.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 02:47:25 »

The darker shading (in the columns?) is catering availability.  Angry  That does seem to be a change for this timetable though...

Yes, you're right.  That'll be confusing!

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 05:55:31 »

As far as the routeing guide's concerned that's a permitted route, since it's on an advertised through train, so all normal fares between Reading and Southampton are available. And since the only possible routes for tickets between RDG(resolve) and SOU are either "any permitted" or "XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) only", any ticket whether walk-up or advance purchase should be valid for that little track bash!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: