07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:22:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Regional fleet toilets...  (Read 18974 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 13:13:26 »

I think that's largely the case, OK HST (High Speed Train)'s do sometimes have some scum on board, but generally speaking they don't do short distance stopping routes on which a lot of the vandals, graffiti mob, and general low life target - i.e. suburban services in and around Bristol, Cardiff and London - after all, they don't want to be on the train any longer than they have to be.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 13:29:54 »

.... and perhaps it is easier to get away without paying your fare on those services (assuming most vandals don;t have tickets)?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 19:02:31 »

If anyone is really interested in the complexities of operation for train toilets then can I suggest they head up to the National Railway Museum in York this weekend (20/21 November).

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Events/toiletdaytrail.aspx

Roll Eyes Undecided Grin

Incidentally, World Toilet Day (subtitled: 'the big squat' - I kid you not!) is this coming Friday (19th). Bet you are all glad you now know that!!

I should add, there is an important message behind the 'Day'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 15:35:22 »

The line "answering the big question: what happens when you flush the loo on a train?" on that link made me LOL (laughing out loud)!

There was a commedian (Possibly Jimmy Carr) that did a rant about the railways and one line that refers to this "We're in the 21st centuary and yet we're still cr*pp*ing on the track Shocked "

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 15:59:04 »

"We're in the 21st centuary and yet we're still cr*pp*ing on the track Shocked "

Much prefered by me over retention toilets which don't have enough water for a proper flush, although I might have a different view if I worked on track maintenance.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 16:00:41 »

<Idiot mode*>Do all trains used on our railways at the moment have retention toilets or are we still dumping onto tracks?  If we are still dumping, is there any cleaning process first?</Idiot mode>

* = I genuinely don't know the answer to this!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 22:01:22 »

I think most trains now have retention tanks, that stink the train out (vomiters).
The only ones I can think of that dump (straight onto the track) are the HST (High Speed Train) sets and some DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)'s.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 22:12:04 »

AIUI (as I understand it) the cutoff for DMUS is that all DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) up to 158s were non-retention as built, 159/0s were fitted during their original conversion (from 158s) before entering service, and later stock as built is all retention tank fitted.

(SWT (South West Trains)'s 158s and 159/1s have had tanks retrofitted but they are the exceptions.)

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 23:46:05 »

Such loco-hauled mark 1, 2 and 3 stock as remains in use also drops things straight down the chute. Looking on the bright side, at least there's a u-bend; I've been on Regional/InterRegional Italian trains before where you could look down the pan and watch the ballast whizzing by. Rather draughty if you need to sit down, and slightly oddly FS has (or used to have) specially made monogrammed toilet roll and paper towels.

An interesting exception is mark 3 sleeper vehicles, which were built with retention tanks from new, I assume so that passengers could use them in stations during the dwells at the start/end of the journey to let people board early or have a lie-in.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 17:40:02 »

Interesting, I'd have thought that all stock would be retrofitted with retention toilets, but obviously not.

Must be a lovely job for the Network Rail engineers when they discover a turd on the line...
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 19:30:08 »

Would that be on the 'turd' rail?  Grin

Where's me coat?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 21:21:12 »

Read something in the Ciras mag about NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff getting p***ed off about having nasty stuff sprayed over them by overflowing retention tanks on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) when they took a curve.
NR response was something along the lines of, well we give them paper suits.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 21:27:55 »

Cough, splutter: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5751.msg55349#msg55349  Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 21:41:10 »

Interesting, I'd have thought that all stock would be retrofitted with retention toilets, but obviously not.

Sounds like a relatively easy job, doesn't it? In fact I would guess that it's a pretty huge engineering challenge working out where to fit retention tanks below the solebar on a whole range of stock that wasn't designed to have it in the first place. Not necessarily insurmountable, but almost certainly very expensive and probably not economically viable given the remaining lifespan of most of FGW (First Great Western)'s stock (although having said that there's no replacements on the horizon just yet...!). You'd also need to equip depots with the facilities to empty huge numbers of bogs reasonably swiftly too.

As an aside, I was always a little puzzled by the heat that GNER (Great North Eastern Railways)/NXEC (National Express East Coast) (can't remember which is was at the time) was getting for leaks from the mark 4 fleet given that there are many other operators in the country whose fleets just dump it straight on the ground.

Another point to remember is that it's not just track staff who are affected by "straight on the ground" toilets. They can also make life unpleasant for shunters and depot engineering staff, since flushing a loo into a 125 mph slipsteam means that a lot of it gets plastered over the vehicle's underframe.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 21:44:36 »

Cough, splutter, indeed. Spit, wipe and possibly hurl as well. If these poor track workers have a vehicle parked close by it could also be a case of the sh*t hitting the van!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: