14:20 Newbury to London Paddington
15:52 Newbury to London Paddington
16:08 London Paddington to Newbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 14:11:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controlled chaos at Reading tonight  (Read 8688 times)
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 22:21:24 »

Train delayed (Reading - Basingstoke 0707) again today by 15 mins, do not know why!

At a guess, it's adhesion problems - sounds like the leaf-fall situation has been a bit of a nightmare, with a mild autumn up to this point followed by a couple of heavy frosts that have caused trees to dump their leaves suddenly and in enormous quantity (see other threads, esp regarding the Exmouth branch, on the board). Things should settle down given a couple of weeks, once all the leaves are down. As you experienced yourself, in these sorts of conditions the only thing to do is for drivers to take things very gently, since braking too hard can make the wheels pick up and slide whilst accelerating too much just leads to the wheels spinning uselessly. That means that timekeeping tends to slip but it's the only safe thing to do in the circumstances - I don't envy drivers, especially on DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) stock that is fairly light on its wheels, their job right now!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 22:34:45 »

The 07:07 to Basingstoke was late cos the inward was late - and that was late, etc..due to being late off of the depot..no reason for that given from what I can see.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 00:36:46 »

The XDAs have specially built software on them which uses a windows mobile interface for pager messages. You also need to scan your fingerprint to 'wake them up' so they are useless if someone nicks it, or you loose it.
Also can access tyrellcheck externally.

Tyrellcheck is also being tested out with XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) on blackberries as well.

I also think that there is a way that a mass SMS can be sent to all company mobiles if so be.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 00:51:34 »

As always though it'll depend on how staff use the system.  Those that rarely bother to check their pagers, will probably rarely bother to check their TYRELL updates - small strides are being taken in providing information to front line staff however there's a long way to go.  On train staff have often commented to me that they are more than often inundated with messages telling them that the PERTIS (Permit to travel) machine at Thatcham isn't working (or something equally trivial), but that their pagers go quiet when there's serious disruption and they could really do with some information.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 01:14:25 »

On train staff have often commented to me that they are more than often inundated with messages telling them that the PERTIS (Permit to travel) machine at Thatcham isn't working (or something equally trivial),
Disagree with it being trivial - these are the pagers messages that can stop an innocent person getting a penalty fare!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 01:19:08 »

yeah but being sent the same message 10 times with the same status is annoying.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 01:45:06 »

On train staff have often commented to me that they are more than often inundated with messages telling them that the PERTIS (Permit to travel) machine at Thatcham isn't working (or something equally trivial),
Disagree with it being trivial - these are the pagers messages that can stop an innocent person getting a penalty fare!

Hear, hear.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 11:36:47 »

Point taken, but not of much use if you're working a train at Great Malvern heading for Hereford though.  It would be nice if there was a system in place that was intelligent enough to work out what should be sent out to who at what time, rather than the 'send it to everyone' approach.  That often applies now and leads to messages often being ignored as pagers are constantly going off with information that is only occasionally directly useful.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 12:27:20 »

And if you suddenly get asked to cover a trip?....you might actually need that info...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 12:43:05 »

That's what I mean by an intelligent system, i.e. it would filter the message so that you would receive a message about Thatcham PERTIS (Permit to travel) machine (as an example, I'm not even sure it has one!) if you were a Train Manager spare (stand-by) at Reading depot, but you wouldn't if you were a Train Manager spare at Worcester who doesn't sign the route.

Or, a blackberry device or similar could replace constantly beeping pagers by presenting the information on screen, so that a TM(resolve) could find it if he/she needs to, but is not alerted to it unnecessarily.  From what I've seen of the TYRELL systems this is slowly being taken on board by Nexus Alpha, but there is still some way to go.

See these links for more details about the types of systems I'm referring to:
http://www.nexusalpha.com/index.php?location=3.3.1
http://www.nexusalpha.com/index.php?location=3.3.3
http://www.nexusalpha.com/index.php?location=3.3.10

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 17:15:43 »

The XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) blackberry I have filters messages regarding train running / station facilities etc by depot so you only receieve information regarding trains you could possibly work and the occasional network summary every hour. (Though I do feel sorry for some of my Birmingham colleagues who must get the whole lot).
Quite handy is having GENIUS which means you can find out what's in front of you and also look up running information for connections if you're running late yourself (or early in the case of Exeter connections at BSK (Brake Standard Corridor (carriage))).
Only problems seem to be some of the previous generation of staff not getting to grips with it, and those with hands like slabs of meat pressing five buttons instead of one!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 23:07:54 »

Good to know we have someone on the forum who has actual experience with the Tyrellcheck system on Blackberries.  I'm guessing that when the FGW (First Great Western) get issued with theirs it'll be exactly the same system that XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) currently use - and by the sounds of it find useful too.

SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 00:59:13 »

How is tyrellcheck on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) working? I know they are trialling it with yourselves.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: