Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 05:52:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arriva Trains Wales drivers vote for strike action  (Read 29795 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2011, 20:41:28 »

I believe the recent action was also an overtime ban this past Sunday along with balloted strike on Monday, rather than a two day strike.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 09:33:29 »

I was a bit dumbstruck by the people in the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article claiming they had no idea there was a strike going on. I can only assume they spend their lives with their head stuck in a bin, never reading a newspaper, listening to the radio, turning on the TV or looking on the internet. I live in America and it's been made pretty prominent on the BBC News website for the last several days, I'm amazed it was possible to live in Wales and not be aware of the strike.
I don't watch a huge amount of TV news, but I haven't seen this strike mentioned once in the last few days.  On the radio it was only mentioned on Monday as a very brief story - no mention of the extent of the strike as most coverage was on Libya.  Quite honestly, without this thread, I wouldn't be aware of the strike either.
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 09:48:26 »

Bus services now added. Hopefully times that will work well with me otherwise its the Crosscountry and London midland route.
This just seems to be a regular thing with ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) and no one else. See what management come up with if anything.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 15:15:00 »

Not unique to ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) - it's been a regular issue with several companies over the last few years... Another example that springs to mind immediately is London Midland, and Central Trains before them, where Sunday working is (was?) voluntary; they have had real problems sometimes in the run up to Christmas when drivers decide to take a Sunday to go shopping, resulting in a shortage of "volunteers" and mass cancellations. Also comes round every few years when New Year's Day falls on a Sunday.

Not difficult to see both sides of this argument really - it's easy to understand why the drivers are keen to retain their right to take a Sunday off whenever they want, but at the same time from a management and passenger point of view it's a ludicrous situation when the company is charged with delivering a seven-day service.
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 18:54:25 »

This is going to cause a large number of problems with certain areas being missed out with replacement bus services whilst other villages/towns still get a service on exactly the same now. Apparently I have to travel by a local bus service 10 miles up the line to catch the replacement bus service that has to pass through the town I live to get to another designated stop at a different station. Where is the sense in this as being a limited bus service skipping busy and important local stations will cause lack of sympathy for ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) as well with the feeling that they do not care about their passangers. Looks like thanks to both parties I can not work this weekend
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 19:03:04 »

I don't envy ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s planners the task of trying to organize such a big replacement bus operation - it looks to me as if they've done a reasonable job under the circumstances, with plenty of routes at least partially covered. Unfortunately you can't directly replace a train with a bus calling in all the same places, for fairly obvious reasons. There will have been a huge number of compromises factored into the replacement timetable, some of them probably messy but I think ATW deserves credit for attempting to organize something halfway effective rather than simply throwing in the towel and saying "we give up".
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 19:07:29 »

Forgot all about the London Midland issue.

Of course,see it both sides,genually sympathy goes to the drivers after reading comments from drivers on the ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) website and then also see it from a passenger side being stuck for transport.

ASLEF comments are suggesting that Mr Lepoard of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) is not popular at all.

And I agree,the bus services have been dealt with very well, genually have covered the main routes and good timings. Doesnt help me getting back from Manchester but have that covered I think!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 19:38:32 »

I'm not surprised Leppard isn't flavour of the month with ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about) at the moment. During a radio interview last week he was asked why ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) drivers shouldn't expect to be paid comparable amounts to drivers working for English TOCs. His response was to say that this was "the difference between driving a jumbo jet and a milk float". Quite apart from the fact that it's a rubbish comparison (after all, there are plenty of TOCs in England whose drivers work a staple diet of regional and commuter trains with very few genuine expresses), that's a pretty spectacular case of foot in mouth. I don't think I'd be overly impressed to find myself working for a senior employee who apparently has so little respect for the work that I do.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 19:59:55 »

Especially given that local trains require more concentration as you're constantly braking, accelerating and thinking about station stops - along with a typically more variable speed limit to keep to and often more unusual signal routings and aspects.  Express train driving is easier in many ways.  I've done both so I know what I'm talking about, even if some of the 'top link express men' might argue differently!  Driving a car along a motorway or a winding 'B' road is a comparison not too far off the mark.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2011, 18:03:54 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Arriva Train Wales strike on rugby day again

Drivers working for Arriva Trains Wales (ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))) are to stage a fresh 24-hour walk out on 12 March, the day of the Wales v Ireland rugby international in Cardiff.

Aslef said the stoppage by its members a week on Saturday followed the failed talks with company managers.

ATW has already said none of its services would run this Sunday due to an overtime ban by the union.

The dispute centres on a row over pay and changes to working conditions, in particular Sunday hours.

It has already seen drivers walk out last Monday.

Aslef General Secretary Keith Norman said he was "bitterly disappointed" with the company for failing to come up with an improved pay offer.

"Given the company's reluctance to change the position and the unacceptability of their previous offer, we have little choice but to take further action," he said.

ATW has said it has offered a "generous" pay rise worth 12% over two years.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andypandy

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 18:28:08 »

Thankfully this has been suspended with further meetings next week according to ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) website.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 18:00:04 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Strike talks progress as Arriva Trains Wales action off

A union says "productive talks" led to the cancellation of a train drivers' walkout to coincide with this weekend's Six Nations rugby in Cardiff.

Members of Aslef had planned the 24-hour action in a row with Arriva Trains Wales over pay and changes to working conditions, in particular Sunday hours.

It would have affected fans going to the Wales-Ireland game at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

The union and the train company are to hold further discussions next week.

Aslef said the talks between its general secretary Keith Norman and Arriva officials led to the strike being suspended.

An Arriva Trains Wales (ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))) spokesperson said there was "good progress" with Aslef and it plans a full service, with additional services around the match time on Saturday.

A queuing system will be in place at Cardiff Central station after the match and Queen Street station will be closed as usual after 1830 GMT.

Last month Aslef staged a 24-hour strike by drivers, meaning none of ATW's 950 services ran on 28 February.

Sunday services have also been affected by an overtime ban.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2011, 12:08:02 »

Seems ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) are a  bit overwelmed, by people wanting a job driving trains:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/03/13/hopefuls-aim-to-cash-in-on-train-driver-s-salary-91466-28326268/

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: