07:00 Gloucester to Plymouth
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 08:00:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fare suggestions for Wednesday?  (Read 4747 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 14, 2010, 17:57:02 »

This Wednesday ... Chippenham (but Melksham would be nice!) to Acton Main Line - need to be there at about half past 8 and set of back soon after 5 - but can't guarentee a particular train.   Happy to limit myself to trains that have a "6" as the middle digit rather that a "2" for some of the way if I need to, also happy to take a slower but cheaper ride if it's less than an hour slower.

Quoted return fare CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) -> AML is 135 return ... singles on many trains are 67.50.   Lots of ways to "play" with this one  Wink I think I have a 79 pound return fare that gives me good flexibility but would be interested in suggestions.  Oh - I am now qualified to be a Saga lout, but am not infirm enough to claim with a straight face that 7 a.m. on Wednedsay is after 10 a.m. on Tuesday, and the limit doesn't say that it's after 10 a.m. on the same day/

Suggestions?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 20:00:32 »

Assuming you can commit to your outward journey, I see a ^44.50 advance departing CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) at 0555, change PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), arr 0751 at AML.

Return journey is a bit more complicated, but there may be something you can do involving off-peak day tickets split at Didcot on a Turbo stopping service to Didcot then an HST (High Speed Train) back from there...?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 20:22:43 »

Can I just confirm.... you have a Senior Railcard?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 20:28:13 »

Can I just confirm.... you have a Senior Railcard?

No - but I'm elligible for club 55.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 20:59:58 »

Best I can see is the Advance Purchase on the 0555 from CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) change at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), arrive AML 0751, for ^44.50

Then on the return, an Off Peak Day Single (Route: Not London) on the 1724 AML to Didcot, arrive 1854 (change at Ealing Broadway) for ^14.90

Then from DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains), a Super Off Peak Single to CPM on the 1912, arrive 1944, for ^10

Total ^69.40.

For just a little more you can split the Outward journey at DID into 2 Anytime Singles, CPM - DID ^19.00 and DID - AML (via London) ^26.90. This would allow a later start on the 0709 at CPM arriving AML at 0821. Your total would then be ^70.80.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 22:46:23 »

If you do your journey avoiding London Paddington you can use Club 55 both ways.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 23:46:54 »

Can you tell me, Ollie, how you get the Club 55 fare out of FGW (First Great Western)'s Booking engine? I've selected 'Avoid London' and clicked on the 'slower routes' link. This lists the Club 55 fares but when you click 'Check for trains' it comes up as N/A - at least for the times grahame wants to travel.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 00:07:11 »

A bit more digging and I've managed to get Clubb 55 to work that early, but only as far as Slough. ^25.00 Club 55 Return to Slough, plus a Slough - AML Anytime Day Return at ^10.50 for a total of ^35.50.

0625 from Chippenham gets to AML at 0833 changing at Reading and Ealing Broadway. 0555 for an 0803 arrival.
1724 from AML gets to Chippenham 1944, again changing EAL (Ealing Broadway Station) and RDG(resolve).

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 14:08:18 »

Good work - many thanks.   I think I'll go for the old fogies ticket to Slough

Isn't it interesting that I can get from Chippenham to Paddington on the 06:25 in 81 minutes, but the shorter journey to Acton Main Line takes a much longer 128 minutes.

P.S. If the 05:56 TransWilts still ran, and the evening return (these are two of the trains that were running when First took over), I could do the whole of this trip with FGW (First Great Western)  Wink

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 14:33:32 »

If your splitiing at Slough remember that the train has to stop there in order to make the split ticket valid.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 16:32:32 »

If your splitiing at Slough remember that the train has to stop there in order to make the split ticket valid.

Thanks.  My itinary's going to be "change Reading, change Ealing" both ways and I thought that all trains that run from Reading (stopping) to Ealing (calling) stop along the way at Slough - but you've got me worried now and I'm going to check that out.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 18:37:43 »

I checked that before quoting the fares. You do indeed stop at Slough both ways. I've subsequently discovered a cheaper split as well.

Chippenham - Langley (Berks), Club 55 Return ^25.00
Langley (Berks) - Acton Main Line (Route: Not London) Anytime Day Return ^8.90.
Total: ^33.90

Using the services quoted upthread; either the 0555 or 0625 out and the 1724 return, these all call at Langley (Berks).

Incidentally grahame, if you can make it to AML for 1651 in the evening you can then travel all the way back to Melksham. Starting short at CPM» (Chippenham - next trains) on the outward.

1651 AML-EAL (Ealing Broadway Station) arrives 1654.
1704 EAL-RDG(resolve) arrives 1800. (calls Langley)
1811 RDG-SWI» (Swindon - next trains) arrives 1838.
1844 SWI-MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) arrives 1910.

Pointless if you have to drive to CPM in the morning, but if you are getting a lift...... In which case you'll need a Melksham - Langley (Berks) Club 55 Return.

Finally, it appears that Club 55 is only available in the morning peak as far as the Greater London boundary, with Iver being the last station before said Boundary. I chose Langley (Berks) because the fare from there to AML is the same as from Iver, but Iver has far fewer trains calling.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 07:05:52 »

BNM - many thanks for the research - duly used and a viable and successful day's work was the result. I *did* end up back on the TransWilts service as it happened ... though with the car up at Chippenham, got off there and felt - well - a bit disloyal in doing so.   In fact if First hadn't "pulled" the 05:56 from Melksham I could have done the whole thing without having to resort to a car at all - but that's a story for a campaign and another thread ...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 20:29:59 »

Glad to have helped save you a few bob. And apologies for assuming, upthread, that you may've been old enough for a Senior Railcard!!  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: