10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 02, 2024, 13:37:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[275] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[81] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[74] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[59] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[22] underground plans for Bristol update.
[15] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson in what can go wrong and not booking tickets under the influence  (Read 2253 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: November 16, 2010, 23:00:37 »

Ok, so sunday I was attending the 40th of a good friend of mine so I took the train.  No advance ticket  because there were none cheaper than weekend first so knowing how busy the trains have been of late, I elected to drive to bristol parkway and join there in the hope of getting a seat before the hoards at brizzle - was a good move

However I normally book my return ticket with my out ticket and as I had not doen the first, I had not done the latter so - after the liquid refreshment was flowing - I remembered I still neded to get home next day

So I booted up the lappy, went onto cross country - and just went into auto mode - and booked an advance from Pad to Nailsea

Cue me getting to Paddington the next morning for the 11am, somewhat worse for wear, and realising I was headed to the wrong station.........

Choices:

1. Buy a ticket on board - for ^
2. Got to Parkway - illegaly get off and buy a ticket to parkway - but wanted my bed and was not 100% sure under the limite
3. Get cab home and return today to fetch said vehicle

I opeted for (3)

So I chose to get the 1529 from nailsea (booked cab) - aiming to arrive at parkway at 4pm ish before the main rush and head home.... except

The 1529 vanished.  I only knew about this because of the iPad - no accouncement at the station of the cancellation.  In fact it wasnt - it failed at worle, re-instated as an I assume 153  at temple meads - hey ho

Then the 1602 was delayed after leaving on time - I assumed because the failed unit blocking the line - and for some reason this seemed to be held outside of weston for quite some time - I was seriously contemplating getting the taunton train and picking up one of the expresses (I need to stock up and although waitrose isnt far its too far to haul a BIG shop).  Anyway train arrived - heading to cardiff.....

Then at bristol there was some weird announcement that the cardiff train was cancelled and to get the next train to parkway - except unless my train was the cancelled one I have no idea where that came from.

So when I saw the two car 1745 which was a 143 jammed - I thought lets get the 1700 xc service which starts here so should not be bad

Got to parkway at 1708 - expected a slow going to the M32 was prepared for that - except there was an accident on the M5 between portishead and clevedon which (had the 1529 acrtually ran I would have missed) and delays of over an hour.  Ok, I thought, I'll go through bristol and come down the 369 which I know is bad but not as bad as a closed motorway.

Made good progress until portbury then I realised every tom dick and harry was coming off the motor way and going through portishead/clevedon to get the next juntcion.

Ok, we'll take the back roads (which I've made sure to learn) except all the bloody locals were doing the same.

2.5 hours it took me to get home.

All because I forgot to book the right ticket and then FGW (First Great Western) cancelled a train

End of rant

I'm laughing now but was not at the time

Oh - and I also got a parking ticket as I over stayed my wlecome

Whether its planes train or autmobiles - I am REggie

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 23:53:43 »

I think I followed the story...sorry and all that. my motto is..."never try to travel by train on a Sunday" although with a good hangover perhaps it can be a good laugh!!, er or not.
Write a book, would be my advice. Cheesy
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 00:59:14 »

I still work on the motto "Never travel cross country on a Sunday" Thats Cross Country as in West-East (or vice versa) not the TOC (Train Operating Company).

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 01:02:29 »

I WASN'T read the narrative - the only sunday issue was over crowding - the rest was my cock up today on tuesday

I thought I'd explained it well

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:37:52 »

Maybe you did, but it took me two reads and a few written notes to follow the saga!!!  Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:48:49 »

But you do see why I call myself reggie?

Doesnt matter how I do it, something goes wrong

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:44:54 »

Do they have mobile phone parking at Bristol Parkway? One less thing to worry about in future if they have.. Grin
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 08:36:10 »

Could have been worse  MM.  !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11917279
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 17:37:23 »

Well Mookiemoo, you are not alone in fupping up booking tickets online after partaking of a few snifters. Last night I booked tickets to Swindon for the forthcoming forum meet up and then also booked tickets down to Taunton for Christmas with the family. Unfortunately, as I was a little pished, I forgot to change the dates on the booking engine and managed to book my Taunton tickets for out and return on the 22nd, when what I wanted was out on the 24th and return on the 27th.

Fortunately there were no cheap enough Advances so I chose the Off Peak Return option instead, meaning I was able today to Excess the Off Peak up to an Anytime for an extra ^5. An Anytime dated 22nd Dec being valid for 5 days on the outward portion, so fine for my journey on the 24th.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: