Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
10:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 12:19:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad morning  (Read 18436 times)
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 09:07:50 »

Let's just wait until the real reason for the obstruction turns up. My betting is on this morning's problem being associated with the engineering works.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 11:18:35 »

Landslip in the cutting where a road bridge crosses the line south of Stonesfield, to the east of Charlbury. Trains passing at walking pace, nothing to do with redoubling.

Empty stock for halts service hit a lump of rock and bent something on the leading bogie. Parked in a siding at Moreton-in-Marsh at 9.30 with a fitter underneath hammering away at it.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 11:27:54 »

Landslip in the cutting where a road bridge crosses the line south of Stonesfield, to the east of Charlbury. Trains passing at walking pace, nothing to do with redoubling.

OK - I'm obviously paranoid, expecting that the obstruction was down to the engineering work!

Meanwhile, have just read earlier post:
The 09:09 and 10:05 from Foregate St to Padd'n has been cancelled. Station staff are saying it's due to "ricks on the line at Combe". A bus to Oxford instead.

For "ricks" read "rocks".
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2010, 13:30:27 »

Did you witness the incident itself? If you didn't I think it is unreasonable for you to judge the TM(resolve)'s actions.

I think you are right Ollie,  Different people react differently.  Whilst it might be reasonable to expect some characters to strug off abuse and get on with their job, other's will be shaken up* and I wouldn't want someone in that kind of state responsible for my safety.

*Many years ago, I witnessed a respectable looking passenger (with a todler!) give the (very large - tall and wide) TM verbal grief and a bit of physical argie-bargie (not actual violence).  I went to offer my contact details to the TM as a witness and found this huge man sitting on the floor of the kitchen with a cup of tea and almost in tears.  Abuse does have a significant impact on some people and whilst staff are presumably trained to deal with it and not take it personally, I don't think you can blame staff for feeling unable to continue if they are a target of it. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2010, 17:38:35 »

could the mods move the post above to bad morning? No obvious connection to redoubling, problem at Hanborough apparently

In the interests of peacekeeping - done!  Grin

Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 02:13:14 »

Did you witness the incident itself? If you didn't I think it is unreasonable for you to judge the TM(resolve)'s actions.

I think you are right Ollie, 

Thanks Tim - personally if I reported everytime someone got heated (as in shouting/swearing etc) I'd probably have to fill a form every day that I am on shift. I luckily haven't been physically assaulted, but it's been threatened. (and this from someone who tries to always be a polite and helpful member of staff Smiley )

As you say, some easily shrug it off, others take it personally.

The way I usually see it, is I wear an FGW (First Great Western) badge, which is peoples cue to have a go - I have had it get to me in the past - but it's sad to say - I'm used to it now.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 22:14:28 »

Ollie, et al.
If I had to fill in a verbal abuse form everytime I was sworn at or abused I would only be out on the platform for around 3 mins. 5 mins without being sworn, abused, called w/c/d/ etc is unusual.

Now if I get a physical assault or threat I will fill in the form and get the ..... er..... person nicked. Physical assault is likely to result in me defending myself (using reasonable and proportionate force as is reasonable in the circumstances) and them being detained under S.16 Railway Regulation Act 1840. Never happened yet!

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2010, 08:59:14 »

And another one...

Line problem between Evesham and Worcester Foregate Street.
Train services between Evesham and Worcester Foregate Street are being disrupted due to signalling problems. Engineers are working as fast as possible to restore services to normal. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays of up to 60 minutes can be expected.
Last Updated: 17/12/2010 08:18

05:48 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 08:36
This train has been delayed at Southall and is now 52 minutes late from Moreton-In-Marsh.This train will be terminated at Worcester Shrub Hill.It will no longer call at: Worcester Foregate Street, Malvern Link and Great Malvern.This is due to signalling problems.
Last Updated: 17/12/2010 08:28

06:43 Hereford to London Paddington due 09:47
This train has been delayed at Hereford and is now 23 minutes late from Malvern Link.This is due to signalling problems.
Last Updated: 17/12/2010 07:50

6:48 London Paddington to Great Malvern due 09:31
This train has been delayed at Southall and is now 20 minutes late from Oxford.This is due to signalling problems.
Last Updated: 17/12/2010 08:38

08:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington due 11:29
This train will be started from Worcester Shrub Hill.It will no longer call at: Great Malvern, Malvern Link and Worcester Foregate Street.This is due to signalling problems.
Last Updated: 17/12/2010 07:57

09:29 Moreton-In-Marsh to London Paddington due 12:03
This train will be started from Oxford.It will no longer call at: Moreton-In-Marsh, Kingham and Charlbury.This is due to signalling problems.
Last Updated: 17/12/2010 07:53

Paddington arrivals:
Great Malvern   due 0759   expected 0857   
Hereford   due 0851   expected 0859 (via Stroud perhaps? Anyone know)

06:51 Worcester Foregate Street to Oxford due 08:12
This train will be started from Moreton-In-Marsh.It will no longer call at: Worcester Foregate Street, Worcester Shrub Hill, Pershore and Evesham.This is due to signalling problems. Last Updated: 17/12/2010 05:42

Starting to feel like the winters of 2006-7 and 2007-8 again. Got to be the worst week on the Cotswold Line since 2008.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:07:20 by willc » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: