Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningCancelled
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
16:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:35 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
Delayed
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
14:53 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
15:07 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:45:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 297563 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #510 on: May 28, 2014, 20:47:15 »

From the Western Daily Press:

Tavistock Viaduct Walk wall collapses

Tavistock Viaduct Walk wall collapsed on Monday

Part of a property boundary wall near to the start of the Tavistock Viaduct Walk collapsed on Monday, May 26.

Police and West Devon Borough Council^s Building Control Team went along to investigate and cordoned off the area with tape and signs.

The path has been closed from the viaduct to Bolt House Close until further notice.

People are being asked to stay away from this section for their own safety while survey work and repairs are carried out.

The 200 metres of pathway from Crease Lane to Bolt House Close remains open along with the Viaduct itself and the cycleway to the north towards Old Exeter Road.

West Devon Borough Council would like to thank residents for their patience.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:18 »

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plans-Tavistock-Bere-Alston-train-line-goes/story-21348120-detail/story.html?ito=email_newsletter_plymouthherald#LjWePUKdTXf4jJT0.01
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 09, 2014, 10:42:47 »

Coo - will there be direct trains from Barf Spar to Tavistock?

I know I shouldn't but: ^33M for 7 miles of railway equals under ^5M/mile - less than half the per-mile cost of the Borders Railway. Blimey, at that rate (even allowing ^50M to fix Meldon Viaduct) you could extend to Okehampton for less than ^130M...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:49:53 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 09, 2014, 12:09:21 »

Consents would be sought in 2016/17, potentially allowing commencement of railway delivery in 2019/20

My God it's such a drawn out process - Get a move on already!
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 09, 2014, 21:57:44 »

Can never understand how a double track formation, with plenty of room for a single track railway and a cycle way, can take so long to reopen. 2019??? Unbelievable Jeff Roll Eyes No wonder not everyone takes proposed English re openings that seriously as it stands, and I for one, want this one to really happen

Western Region Rocker
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 09, 2014, 22:10:32 »

Yes, behind all this there is a hand so dead it makes Alma Cogan look positively spritely. Dare we speak its name?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 09, 2014, 22:27:39 »

I know I shouldn't but: ^33M for 7 miles of railway equals under ^5M/mile - less than half the per-mile cost of the Borders Railway. Blimey, at that rate (even allowing ^50M to fix Meldon Viaduct) you could extend to Okehampton for less than ^130M...

I do not think that would be a fair to extraplote that cost to the rest of the route to Okehampton. The Tavistock section is probably one of the easiest sections.  For example it ignores the obstructions in Tavistock itself. 

You also need to ask what sort of railway would be reinstated a single track branch line or something more substantial? And would that include improvements to the route from Crediton to Okehampton?

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:24 »

Yes, behind all this there is a hand so dead it makes Alma Cogan look positively spritely. Dare we speak its name?

Bet that's got the younger posters feverishly browsing wikipedia. Grin

Who would the dead hand be BTW (by the way),i am rather ignorant in such matters.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 10, 2014, 09:52:01 »

I do not think that would be a fair to extraplote that cost to the rest of the route to Okehampton. The Tavistock section is probably one of the easiest sections.  For example it ignores the obstructions in Tavistock itself. 

You also need to ask what sort of railway would be reinstated a single track branch line or something more substantial? And would that include improvements to the route from Crediton to Okehampton?

There are a couple of threads running along parallel lines here, and my comments here have more to do with this one: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3098.msg157089#msg157089

I accept that you can't extrapolate. In truth I'm just surprised at how cheap the Tavistock project is.

alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07:16 »

Following yesterday's meeting, quite a detailed report can be found here: http://www.devon.gov.uk/loadtrimdocument?url=&filename=PTE (Passenger Transport Executive)/14/49.CMR&rn=14/WD321&dg=Public
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2014, 12:54:16 »

Following yesterday's meeting, quite a detailed report can be found here:
And doesn't it strike you as odd that there is no mention in that document of the possibility, however remote, of the whole line via Okehampton and Tavistock being rebuilt?

Note that they say there may not be room for a pedestrian and cycle trail on the formation:
  • The provision of a pedestrian and cycle route will require significant additional
    engineering as it will mean that the rail infrastructure may not be able to be
    accommodated along the most appropriate alignment. Additional strengthening would
    be a particular requirement. These additional works will increase costs and reduce the
    viability and deliverability of the rail element of the project.
That kind of answers the question about whether it is single track, picking its way via the solidest ground.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2014, 13:56:49 »

And doesn't it strike you as odd that there is no mention in that document of the possibility, however remote, of the whole line via Okehampton and Tavistock being rebuilt?

A footnote wouldn't have gone amiss and perhaps it may have been remarked about at some point during the meeting, but wasn't minuted. Although it would be an entirely separate project from this one, you have to wonder about considerations and groundwork that could be put in place now, to accommodate any possibility of it manifesting in the future.

I thought it interesting that some of the cases for opposing the railway were on the basis that they'd rather the section from Tavistock to Okehampton was reinstated.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2014, 13:58:40 »

The comment that it may not be possible to provide a pedestrian & cycle route alongside the railway is perhaps good news in the sense hat the entire formation would be available for upgrading to incorporate (a) passing loop(s) if the line is further extended towards Okehampton at a later date.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #523 on: July 10, 2014, 15:27:06 »

An interesting discussion with regard to mention of any possibility of going beyond Tavistock.

From our campaigning in a different part of the south west, we're very much aware of the ability of a bigger and wider, but longer term and less likely, project to dilute attention from the immediate objectives, and indeed to muddy the waters to a detrimental extent.   We had two such issues involved with the TransWilts, so I can talk here with at least a little experience.

The approach we've taken was to make the case very clearly and completely (operational and business) for the immediate scheme, but ensure that the operational case was compatible with the longer term project too.  Thus, the TransWilts case and service works well without a station at Royal Wootton Bassett, but the timing and pathing of the trains is such that an extra stop could be accommodated there, probably resulting in an arrival in / departure from Swindon a handful of minutes later / earlier.  At is current frequency, we know our service probably doesn't run often enough to tempt the people of RWB (I note that station code is available!) onto trains for the short trip into Swindon ... but we're a step in the right direction for them.

The second case concerns a potential operator of an open access service calling at TransWilts stations and going beyond. At times that was a more difficult circle to square, with a fear that running a local train would take away enough of the traffic and enough of the paths to make that other service unviable.  It's a difficult thing to prove one way or the other; we have plenty of evidence to suggest that an hourly service, alternating the local and Birmingham trains would / would have actually generated more traffic per train, and we've also plenty of practical experience now of the TransWilts 15x service meshing with diverted HST (High Speed Train) services up to and beyond the number of trains that would have been involved in the combined service.

Extrapolating our experience to what I read from Tavistock, I would hope that any works being done would not block a further extension of the line.  In other words that no new station building would be placed on the old trackbed just to the north of the new station, I would look at consideration of the future prospect of a second platform at Tavistock, and I would acknowledge in the work done that the case was mindful of other aspirations and doesn't block them.

We have our TransWilts service now.   RWB may happen at some point (delighted if it does), and I wouldn't rule out through services to Birmingham.  Current passengers / ridership / comments I've had back do indeed point to journeys to and from that city, and it's one of the destinations shown on the A to Z.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 24, 2014, 16:52:04 »

Snippet from the Tavistock Times 21 August;

A scheme for 750 homes and a railway station on land adjacent to Callington Road Tavistock will be discussed by WDBC planners on 26th August.Bovis Homes plans have been recommended for conditional approval subject to a section 106 agreement being signed,which will see a financial contribution of more than ^13m towards the reinstatement of the railway.

Watch this space,as they say!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: