DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningDelayed
17:50 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 22:13:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign for Tavistock reopening  (Read 297345 times)
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 16, 2012, 21:34:19 »

Longer term the project seems really sensible - I was discussing this with a neighbour only yesterday. Whilst I personally am not totally convinced by the global warming argument, I do believe a second route to Plymouth is justified. Going through Okehampton seems better than trying to reopen the old backdoor route to Newton Abbott.
woody

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2012, 20:46:21 »

Last Friday while travelling to Exeter from Plymouth on a Paddington train I could not help noticing the man in the seat in front of me was reading a document which seemed to list and comment on various rail related improvement schemes in Devon and Cornwall.eg Extending the station footbridge at Newton Abbot station towards the Brunel Industrial estate,extending the platforms at St James Park to accommadate 4 car trains,a half hourly train service from Exeter to paignton etc etc.But what caught my eye was somethong about the Tavistock line re-opening.As we both rose to get off the train at Exeter I took the opportunity to speak to him saying that I could not help noticing him reading the document and so asked him what the current situation was regarding the Tavistock line re-opening as all seems very quiet at the moment.He assured me in a very upbeat way it was still moving forward although the situation with the housing market on which the whole scheme hinges had slowed things down a bit.So I asked him how long will we have to wait.He said very positively "You will definitely see trains running to Tavistick in 5 years".
  Given all this I assumed he was something to do with the Devon and Cornwall rail partnership.

Nice to meet you, Woody.   Good guess!

I was on my way to the ExeRail meeting at County Hall.  That paper, the ExeRail programme, is a public document and I have attached it.

Richard Burningham,
Manager, Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

Nice to meet you too Richard all the best and look foreward to using the train to Tavistock.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2012, 21:33:08 »

Thanks for the updates, everyone. I'm really happy to read that this one is quietly moving forward.  Smiley
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2012, 21:59:59 »

GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3 by November seems a great indication of commitment. I like it!

Now, please!
ACE

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:28 »

Last Friday while travelling to Exeter from Plymouth on a Paddington train I could not help noticing the man in the seat in front of me was reading a document which seemed to list and comment on various rail related improvement schemes in Devon and Cornwall.eg Extending the station footbridge at Newton Abbot station towards the Brunel Industrial estate,extending the platforms at St James Park to accommadate 4 car trains,a half hourly train service from Exeter to paignton etc etc.But what caught my eye was somethong about the Tavistock line re-opening.As we both rose to get off the train at Exeter I took the opportunity to speak to him saying that I could not help noticing him reading the document and so asked him what the current situation was regarding the Tavistock line re-opening as all seems very quiet at the moment.He assured me in a very upbeat way it was still moving forward although the situation with the housing market on which the whole scheme hinges had slowed things down a bit.So I asked him how long will we have to wait.He said very positively "You will definitely see trains running to Tavistick in 5 years".
  Given all this I assumed he was something to do with the Devon and Cornwall rail partnership.

Very positive news indeed

Edit note: Quote marks fixed. Chris.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 23:00:56 by chris from nailsea » Logged

Western Region Rocker
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2012, 14:32:17 »

The new issue of Rail (out today) has an eight page feature on the Tavistock reopening with lots of great pictures.  Highly recommended.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #336 on: July 25, 2012, 19:02:13 »

The new issue of Rail (out today) has an eight page feature on the Tavistock reopening with lots of great pictures.  Highly recommended.

Thanks for the heads up I will try and grab a copy when I call in Tesco at 06:00 before I continue my commute into Work
caliwag

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2012, 21:12:55 »

Good ole Mr broadbent...a valuable contributer to Rail magazine.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #338 on: July 26, 2012, 20:19:05 »

Bought the latest issue of Rail from Tesco at 6am this morning and read it while I was on my lunch break @ work today.

The feature on the Tavistock line I found to be really good so well done to those who put it together and I look forward to the day the line is re-opened and eventually the missing link to Okehampton is re-built.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 27, 2012, 09:55:54 »

Yes indeed. I bought my copy while on break yesterday evening. Even mentioned the petition I started about reopening to Okehampton on the internet! Lol.

Seriously though, it does point out that these plans are concrete and are moving forward.

An excellent article

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 28, 2012, 09:54:54 »

According to the Western Morning News this morning,the new franchise will be expected to provide costings for the proposed Tavistock-Plymouth service,so things seem to be moving on that front as well;

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Fight-save-South-West-rail-services-Government/story-16608888-detail/story.html
chaulender

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2012, 21:46:50 »

For anyone interested (in case the re-opening ever gets that far) and with a few ^s spare, I see Tavistock (SR(resolve)) station (now a holiday let business) is currently for sale at ^1,250,000 (see rightmove.co.uk)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2012, 22:18:04 »

Thank-you for that latest information, chaulender.

And a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2012, 09:32:36 »

What a great opportunity to secure the trackbed for the future - and a more central site for a Tavistock station ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2012, 18:53:35 »

What a great opportunity to secure the trackbed for the future - and a more central site for a Tavistock station ;-)

Unfortunately,i don't think much trackbed would be included in any deal to buy the station,probably just the platform length.The idiotic [but possibly lucrative for someone] decision to allow housing to be built on the trackbed at the east end of Bannawell Street viaduct and the building of the WDBC offices at the Lydford end of the station pretty much ensures that if any plans to reopen the line fully were mooted,CPO action would be needed to bring them to fruition.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41
  Print  

Jump to: