Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:04:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: MYB to High Wycomb  (Read 8873 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: November 30, 2010, 16:41:02 »

Have to go to High Wycomb tomorrow - have advance tickets for the PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) part of the journey.

Would I be better to (a) get an off peak return from MYB (London (Marylebone)) or (b) Use my oyster with an oyster add on

I can't work out how to check the price with the add on - or even how it works or how to get one

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 16:48:34 »

Do you have a travelcard season ticket on your Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services). If so, what zones?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 16:50:13 »

Don't know if this helps in your decision making, but there's no off-peak day return, and the anytime day return at GBP15.60 (GBP10.30 Y-P) is cheaper than the off-peak return.

But I'm afraid I know nothing about oyster add-ons from zone boundaries etc etc.

Out of interest, was there a reason you didn't book the through journey as advance NLS - HWY?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 16:59:31 »

Because of the good old issue of booking first class up to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and only having standard from MYB (London (Marylebone)) but there is a first class fair in existence and it made it more expensive

Also, I didnt want to tie myself into specific trains from MYB

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 17:00:04 »

No, I just have PAYG (Pay as you go) - I only go up to london 1/2 a week so a travelcard is not worth it

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 17:13:50 »

There is no such thing as an 'Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) addon' to High Wycombe, if I'm interpreting your question right. Oyster only ever has validity in the zones.

If (now you've confirmed it) you only have PAYG (Pay as you go) on your Oyster card, you'd have to get off the train somewhere in the London zones on the way to High Wycombe (eg Amersham   Roll Eyes  wrong route) and touch out, even if you already have a paper extension ticket from the zonal boundary (and I'm not sure you can buy one even then without an existing travelcard).  

Oyster PAYG is actually more difficult to use (for across zonal boundary travel) than the old paper zonal ticket + extension, because previously there would have been no need to get off the train to touch out.

Paul

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:19:27 by paul7755 » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 17:21:54 »

As you only have PAYG (Pay as you go) then there's little point using Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) out of MYB (London (Marylebone)) unless you want the hassle of getting off at a Chiltern stop within the TfL» (Transport for London - about) area to touch out, which would be West Ruislip - further limiting you to stopping services to HWY - and then resuming your journey on a paper ticket. This also means you'd have to wait for the next train.

Now, if you have an Oyster Season, say zones 1-2, you can buy a ticket from Boundary Zone 2 to HWY and travel on any MYB-HWY service - no need for your service to call at a station in Zone 2 - as per section 19(c) of the Conditions of Carriage. Not touching out is not an issue if you have a season travelcard as touching in does not initiate a fare, it merely confirms the card is valid.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 17:28:05 »

Did not realise the extension only applied to travel cards

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 17:54:59 »

Indeed.

Now, if you bought a paper day travelcard, you can buy a Boundary Zone x to destination ticket and not need to travel on a service that calls at a station in the boundary zone.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 18:06:46 »

Would that be cheaper than using my oyster around to MYB (London (Marylebone)) and back and a return?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 19:12:39 »

Zone 1 Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) Single 2@ ^1.80 = ^3.60
Marylebone to High Wycombe SDR ^15.60
Total: ^19.20

Zone 1-2 Day Travelcard ^5.60 (^7.20 before 0930)
Boundary Zone 2 - High Wycombe SDR ^10.80
Total: ^16.40 (^18.00 before 0930)

So yes, a bit cheaper.  Wink Grin

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 19:19:47 »

/Does my discount work on the travel cards and extension or not?

In which case the oyster singles and full return would be cheaper

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 19:47:12 »

With railcard:

If you are using Paddington - Marylebone tube after 0930 and boundary Zone 6 - HWY after 1000 (first potential service to HWY 0950, but realistically 1020) then you can use the following combination:

Zones 1-6 Travelcard ^5.00 (no railcard discounts on lesser zoned Travelcards)
Boundary Zone 6 - High Wycombe SDR ^5.95
Total: ^10.95

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 20:13:30 »

It's probably too late for my suggestion now.. But Maidenhead (which you'll go through if you're going from Nailsea to Paddington) is only ten or so miles from High Wycombe.. So to save a lot of time a taxi would get you there in less than half hour from Maidenhead (traffic depending of course)...

If not how about the branch line from Maidenhead to Marlow.. That gets you even closer to Wycombe.. And then a taxi?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 22:03:59 »

The return journey may be an idea with a quick cheap ticket check to get through the barriers at slough to join short at reading (I know I know)......

I am on a VERY tight schedule to make the 1630 back

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: