Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 02:05:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas Tickets - Is this valid?  (Read 4551 times)
thetrout

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2010, 18:12:02 »

I will be travelling into London on the 27th of December. I intend to take a train from Westbury.

I checked the price of the tickets on Southern's Mixing Desk and a First Anytime Single at ^39.80 (Route Warminster Salisbury) was available on a train at a suitable time. Then I noticed that it was a diverted FGW (First Great Western) Service as part of the Reading Engineering Works.

So my question is: If I purchased that ^39.80 FDS for use on a diverted First Great Western service, is this actually valid? or do I need to buy the Any Permitted ticket?

I rather suspect that someone at FGW Towers made a boo boo there, as that makes First Class travel into London much better value for money Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 18:31:59 »

Well I'm planning on using a Route: Warminster/Salisbury ticket on the 28th and if the booking engines allow you to purchase the fare then it has to be valid.

I don't think FGW (First Great Western) made a boo boo. If the routeing is a location as opposed to operator specific then it has to be valid on any TOC (Train Operating Company) running trains over that route. I think it would've been nigh on impossible for FGW to bar travel to those holding Route: Warminster/Salisbury tickets. That would've required major re-programming of the ticketing system.

As to the potential loss to FGW, I think they'll pick up a fair bit of revenue from bashers like me, travelling merely for the novelty of a HST (High Speed Train) on an unusual route.  Cheesy

Slightly OT, but does anyone out there know if there were ever scheduled HSTs to/from Waterloo apart from the previous engineering diversions in 2005 and the short-lived regional Eurostars in 1995-97.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 18:46:22 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 18:53:33 »

Well I'm planning on using a Route: Warminster/Salisbury ticket on the 28th and if the booking engines allow you to purchase the fare then it has to be valid.

I don't think FGW (First Great Western) made a boo boo. If the routeing is a location as opposed to operator specific then it has to be valid on any TOC (Train Operating Company) running trains over that route. I think it would've been nigh on impossible for FGW to bar travel to those holding Route: Warminster/Salisbury tickets. That would've required major re-programming of the ticketing system.

As to the potential loss to FGW, I think they'll pick up a fair bit of revenue from bashers like me, travelling merely for the novelty of a HST (High Speed Train) on an unusual route.  Cheesy

Slightly OT, but does anyone out there know if there were ever scheduled HSTs to/from Waterloo apart from the previous engineering diversions in 2005 and the short-lived regional Eurostars in 1995-97.

Back in the days of Intercity, HSTs used to run to Waterloo from oop north somewhere. Can't remember exactly why...!
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 19:16:20 »

I can do better than that.  Super off peak single Westbury to London Terminals with disabled railcard 18.15. Weekend 1st 15.00.  Total 33.15 Smiley

Weekend first is valid all day between Christmas until the New Years bank holiday. (As it always is)  and FGW (First Great Western) gets its revenue.  Everybody is happy !

Edited to fix total. bignosemac Wink
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 19:27:46 by bignosemac » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 19:26:44 »

Thanks for that reminder about Weekend 1st, Super TM(resolve). Totally forgot about that being valid between Xmas and New Year. Bravo!

Which now means I can further beat your price. Shirehampton to Waterloo (Route WMN» (Warminster - next trains)/SAL) CDS (Off Peak Day Single [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) ^17.80 with railcard, plus ^15 Weekend 1st. Total ^32.80.

CDS also valid at any time between Xmas and New Year. Admittedly FGW (First Great Western) only get their ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) share of the CDS, but hey, I'm sure they won't mind!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 08:59:27 »

Thanks for that reminder about Weekend 1st, Super TM(resolve). Totally forgot about that being valid between Xmas and New Year. Bravo!

Which now means I can further beat your price. Shirehampton to Waterloo (Route WMN» (Warminster - next trains)/SAL) CDS (Off Peak Day Single [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) ^17.80 with railcard, plus ^15 Weekend 1st. Total ^32.80.

CDS also valid at any time between Xmas and New Year. Admittedly FGW (First Great Western) only get their ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services) share of the CDS, but hey, I'm sure they won't mind!

Is that English you've written or gobbledy gook!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 15:27:55 »

BR (British Rail(ways)) used all of those abbreviations (with the possible exception of ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services)) too you know Wink
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 15:35:37 »

BR (British Rail(ways)) used all of those abbreviations (with the possible exception of ORCATS (Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services)) too you know Wink
I think BR actually developed ORCATS, so they probably came up with the word Smiley

Makes me feel like a right geek by actually understanding every acronym in BNM's post Grin
As to the potential loss to FGW (First Great Western)
Can't see many people actually buying the WMN» (Warminster - next trains)-SAL tickets as a. they probably won't even realise the train is diverted through WMN and SAL and b. won't know the fare actually exists (unless they are informed of this by a ticket office).
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 16:27:17 »

Back in the days of Intercity, HSTs (High Speed Train) used to run to Waterloo from oop north somewhere. Can't remember exactly why...!
They ran from Manchester to connect with Eurostar as a sop to Mancs who had missed out on "regional Eurostar". 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 17:21:19 »

I seem to remember seeing one in York I think bound for Newcastle.

Empty HST (High Speed Train) nobody allowed to board for Durham and Newcastle had to wait for next heaving East Coast or CC serivice.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 23:27:12 »

Is that English you've written or gobbledy gook!

Yep. Sorry. It does appear that I was on a bit of an acronym/abbreviation bent there.

So.....

Thanks for that reminder about Weekend First, Super Train Manager. Totally forgot about that being valid between Christmas and New Year. Bravo!

Which now means I can further beat your price. Shirehampton to Waterloo (Route Warminster/Salsbury) Off Peak Day Single ^17.80 with railcard, plus ^15 Weekend First. Total ^32.80.

Off Peak Day Single also valid at any time between Christmas and New Year. Admittedly First Great Western only get their Operational Research Computerised Allocation of Tickets to Services share of the Off Peak Day Single, but hey, I'm sure they won't mind!

Tongue Wink Grin
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 00:23:48 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 00:20:59 »

Most FGW (First Great Western) staff are getting a nice 300 ish page booklet (delivered on friday) about the reading blockade and xmas timetables.
It has a lot of stuff in it including ticket easements (a few) and restrictions (i.e. not many), catering provisions (haha good luck), diversion timetables, telephone numbers. etc etc

If your on the First Intranet its on the front page of FGW.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: