Delayed
03:56 Swansea to London Paddington
05:15 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 07:10:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[69] access for all at Devon stations report
[44] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[16] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Season tickets from stations in and around Bristol only valid via Salisbury?  (Read 4822 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2010, 14:18:59 »

Can anyone explain to me why stations on the Severn Beach Line, Bedminster, Parson Street and Patchway only have season tickets available to London via Warminster/Salisbury?

Seem a bit odd that FGW (First Great Western) don't offer an alternative to the SWT (South West Trains) priced product, forcing people to either travel from Temple Meads, Parkway and Filton or buy two seasons.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 17:57:55 »

Seems a bit like an omission when someone set the fares (and then every time after that!).  There is also the same problem with London Travelcards from said stations.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 19:08:21 »

Seems a bit like an omission when someone set the fares (and then every time after that!).  There is also the same problem with London Travelcards from said stations.

It should be easy enough for FGW (First Great Western) to price the flow for a seven day season, Had my XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) January retail brief today that mentions season flows have been created and priced where requested. Might be the case that noone has asked before.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 19:10:17 »

Didn't BR (British Rail(ways)) have a method of calculating a season ticket price for journeys that didn't have one assigned (or am I getting confused with first class tickets)?  Has this carried over into privatisation?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 19:11:12 »

I understand there were, or are, formulas for creating seasons tickets for flows where no season exists. Whether this is still possible or if booking clerks can do it is another matter though.

If there is still a formula then I'd assume a Shirehampton - London Terminals (Any Permitted) Season would be the same price as a Bristol - London Terminals one. The 'Anytime' fares are the same.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 20:10:20 »

I would say there is a way they can do it.

I recall when I was looking at living in Penzance to study an MCSE at Cornwall College Camborne. I enquired about a Season Ticket from Penzance - Camborne.

Despite NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) saying they didn't have any Season Tickets available. I checked this out at Penzance ticket office and they do exist, a Standard and First Class Monthly Season were available Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 21:58:05 »

My copy of Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) Traveller quotes a 7-day standard season from Avonmouth to London Terminals as ^251.90 via Any Permitted route, or ^165.70 via Warminster and Salisbury.

Most pointless season that I ever saw in the old fare books was Newquay to Ealing Broadway via Not London. Astonishingly, it's still in the electronic database - ^372.80 in standard, with no via London price.

smokey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 11:56:46 »

As Open tickets from Stations around Bristol to London Pad are the same as Bristol TM(resolve) to London, does the clause Bristol Stations come into the equation?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 12:08:48 »

There is no 'Bristol Stations' as a ticket origin or destination. If you are referring to 'Bristol Group' stations as used for routeing permissions then this only includes; Bristol TM(resolve), Bristol PW (Permanent Way), Filton, Stapleton Rd, Lawrence Hill.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 12:16:26 »

There is no 'Bristol Stations' as a ticket origin or destination.
BRISTOL BR (British Rail(ways)) did used to exist ... until 1989.  It included Bedminster, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton, Keynsham, Lawrence Hill, Parson Street and Stapleton Road.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: