18:12 Salisbury to Cheltenham Spa
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
19:13 Salisbury to Worcester Shrub Hill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 02:34:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting off Steam  (Read 20156 times)
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2007, 14:53:04 »

The great thing about the various forums, blogspots, websites which have sprung up recently, is that it gives an opportunity for war-weary, cynical commuters (like me) to get things off their chest in a relatively harmless way. It is amazing how daily rail commuting (15 years plus in my case) can brainwash one into a generally stoical and tolerant attitude about most things, and yet just occasionally one will get irrationally exasperated about something relatively minor.

For example, I can now tolerate  Grin:

• The automated announcements on Adelantes - in fact I barely notice them
  • Passengers who use mobile phones in the quiet carriage - again I just mentally switch off
  • Complete closure of the route between Paddington and Reading in the evening peak due to a fatality - I just go for a quiet pint somewhere and come back two hours later - I always get home in the end

However I get in a right temper with  Angry:

• People who stop at the top of escalators to reassemble their roll-along suitcases, oblivious to the pile up behind
  • The fug of fag smoke one now has to endure when walking out of Paddington Station
  • Passengers who sit by the aisle next to an empty window seat, increasing the boarding time at Newbury and Reading while people who want a seat ask them to move with others queueing to get on (if that makes sense)

In the coffee shop spirit, I invite other regular travellers to "let off steam" and tell us about those annoyances which although trivial in the scheme of things, really get up your nose! Just for entertainment of course, and all in line with forum rules... Smiley
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 17:40:31 »

It's the ones who put there bags and jackets on the seat and are shocked that you would dare ask them to shift it so you can sit down.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 17:59:45 »

1)The people who have to sit on a table even though there is only 1 of them with no luggage despite there being lots of other seats.(Annoing if you're travelling with a family of four)
2)The people who insist that if they're are no tables that there our no seats and then spend the whole journey walking up and down the aisle rantin about how there is no seats and why aren't there more tables? (Paticuarly on Refurb HST (High Speed Train)'s)
3)The people who sit in your reserved seat until you get on, make a mess of it and when you ask them to move they leave there rubbish behind.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 19:49:39 by qprrule » Logged
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 19:18:54 »

People that ask me "does this train stop at............... " then after I say yes it does they then ask the next railway employee the same question
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 19:20:27 »

Oh god where do I begin!  Passengers who continue to yap on their mobile phone when i'm trying to serve them,
99% of the poulation of Camborne and Redruth (there are one or two decent people from the two towns, but not many), holiday makers, people who put bags and coats on seats on busy trains and no matter how many times you announce it on the PA (Public Address) they STILL dont bloody move them! I could go on all night but i'll shut up now until next time.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 19:22:31 »

Or, "what time do they come back", "well madame theres a time table over there", "Oh I can't understand any of that it's all full of numbers". Or "why don't YOU put more carriages on?" Arggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
jester

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 19:59:07 »

Surely you could have put on a bigger train than this!!! Yes!! we knew you were all going to turn up for this train, thats why we purposly put this two coach sardine special on for you!! People who ignore the female member of staff on the platform and walk 100 metres to stop the driver from what hes doing to ask him instead. The annoying phone thing vacman mentions, "Does this stop at?" when they are already on the damn train!!  Yes! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 22:29:51 »

Customer: Is this the Reading train?
Me: No, it's the Bristol train but it will go to Reading.
*train pulls out of Paddington*
Customer: Does it stop at Maidenhead?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:36:29 »

"Does this stop at?" when they are already on the damn train!!  Yes! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Let me put a slightly different perspective on this.

I travelled on the 0600 Portsmouth - Cardiff service on Saturday morning (13/10/2007.) Although it is timetabled to stop at Dean and Mottisfont & Dunbridge , none of the information boards or station announcements mentioned this fact.

As having a look at Dean station was my reason for catching this train , I was rather concerned that the service might have been "revised" to miss out some stops.

So I asked the guard whether the train stopped at Dean. He said yes and gave me a withering look that suggested he was thinking "of course it does , you moron."

He also asked "where did you get on , I havent seen a ticket for Dean." I must admit that I took great pleasure in showing him my Freedom Of Severn & Solent Rover Ticket , which he had already checked earlier in the journey.

I should point out that all the other FGW (First Great Western) staff I encountered during the day were pleasant and professional , before I get accused of FGW employee - bashing.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 18:53:54 »

Customer: Is this the Reading train?
Me: No, it's the Bristol train but it will go to Reading.
*train pulls out of Paddington*
Customer: Does it stop at Maidenhead?

Undecided    We have some customers like that in our business too ... a very few of them, but some.

Customer: "Can you write a program to display dates of events from our database"
Me: "Yes"
Customer: "Please come to London to do the work"
[Graham travels to London]
Me: "So where in the database do you keep the dates of events"
Customer: "Oh - we don't keep them ...."

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 15:29:15 »

Best one was an agitated member of station staff was asked by a little old biddy " Young Man could you help me out" "Certaintly Madam which door did you come in through Grin." Lucky for him she seen the funny side too! Grin
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 16:04:16 »

or

Passenger; "is this the St Ives train?"
me; "no madame, take this train to St Erth and change there"
Passenger; "so this train doesn't go to StIves then"

enough said?HuhHuh
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 21:48:03 »

Or:

Passenger at Plymouth: 'Is this the Penzance train?'
Me: 'Yes'
Passenger: 'Oh so where do I get the Truro train from?'

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, why dont they just ask what they actually want to know, ie 'how do I get to Truro'..

You have to wonder how some passengers are allowed out on their own...
moonraker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 23:20:42 »

Passengers who start a journey with absolutely no bl**??y idea on how to reach their destination, I would not dream of trying to go from one end of the country to the other and not have at least one planned route.
People who do not control their children and let them roam Ferrel throughout the journey.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 23:39:48 »

They get on the train, doors close, start moving then they run up the train and say "does this train stop at Lostwithiel???", "errrrrr.... no", "well that's rediculous,WHY doesn't it stop?".......................... the question i'd like to ask most of them is "how the f**k do you get out of bed in the morning and manage to get to the train station?" fortunately I just think it and don't say it!

or

"what times do the trains return?",
"ten past every hour sir",
"oh ok, whats the one about 5 O'clock?"
well funnily enough........................ ten past five!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, had a day of it today!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: