29th Apr (1963)
Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:51:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lois Avery - "My rant about train companies cashing in during poor weather"  (Read 4763 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2010, 16:16:44 »

From Chippenham People:

Quote from: Lois Avery
My rant about train companies cashing in during poor weather

I was on a train on Monday from Bristol to Chippenham when a member of First Great Western's staff announced that passengers using the wrong train would be charged penalty fares.

This is all well and good. I agree that if you've bought an advance ticket you should use that train alone - in ordinary circumstances.

What made me extremely angry was that the snow had delayed trains for hours, (I waited an hour and a half) some were cancelled, yet passengers were still going to be held to ransom over an advanced booking.

So, if a passenger was booked on to a 1.30pm train but they saw that it was delayed by an hour and a half they weren't allowed to jump on the next available train (even if it came at 1.30pm) because it wasn't their specified train!

Not only did First Great Western fail to provide a service throughout the day, they then thought it was acceptable to allow a self-righteous member of staff the privilege of reminding passengers of the rules.

In my opinion, exceptional circumstances should be followed with relaxed rules. If you book a train but it's an hour or so late then chances are it will scupper all of your other plans, so why not be allowed to jump on the next train even though it's not 'yours'.

It was made worse by the fact that the train wasn't full, there were plenty of seats and no one even bothered to follow up the warning by coming to actually check tickets.

I had an open ticket so this didn't directly affect me. I just thought it was an interesting example of our rail network's shoddy service and poor customer service.

Did you have problems on the trains this week? Let us know how you got on.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 16:25:36 »

If that story is all true, then I'd be inclined to agree that FGW (First Great Western) were treating passengers pretty shoddily by expecting everyone with advance tickets to stick to their specified trains in amongst a myriad of delays and cancellations. Fair enough when the service is running normally but when the job has fallen to bits I really don't think that's acceptable.

I suppose there's always a question over whether that was indeed official policy from FGW mission control or if it was just a rogue "jobsworth" (hate the word but in this case it's descriptive) member of staff.

Edited to fix "bold" all the way through. Oops.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 17:00:30 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 16:59:44 »

Rather counterproductive of FGW (First Great Western) IF INDEED IT IS TRUE.  Annoy passengers by delaying tehm by 1 1/2 hours and thereby entitle them to claim compensation. 
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 17:25:18 »

Train Manager (or whoever) was probably just reading off a script: "Welcome aboard the FGW (First Great Western) service to x, this service will now call at x.  CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) blah, buffet blah, Penalty Fares blah."

A Bristol-London AP SLOUGH ticket states this in its restrictions (my bold)
Advance tickets are           
non-refundable.               
If the train the customer     
purchased a ticket for is     
cancelled or delayed by more 
than 60 minutes, special     
arrangements will be made to 
accommodate them on another   
train (although a seat cannot
be guaranteed).
If, as a     
result, customers decide not 
to travel, a refund will be   
offered on completely unused 
tickets and they will not be 
charged an administration fee.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 21:21:53 »

Hi All,

Would like to say that on Monday arriving back at Gatwick, we were lucky, from Prague although I allowed plenty of time with my Advanced Tickets at least 3 hours we were delayed by over 4.

FGW (First Great Western) staff were more than helpfull and allowed travel and I would like to say thanks

Basset
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 23:24:49 »

Also is a rule in the PF (Penalty Fare) scheme which states a PF cant be charged if that person has been given permission to travel on [the] train in question.

FGW (First Great Western) can also refuse compensation in the current climate as "weather" is beyond the control of the railways.

45. Circumstances that are not within a Train Company^s control
For the purposes of Conditions 42 and 43 [compo], circumstances that are not within a Train
Company^s control include:
(e)  exceptionally severe weather conditions;

I suspect they'd send you a comp ticket for use on FGW to keep you sweet.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 01:27:11 »

I'd also go with the idea that the TM(resolve) was just reading his 'script'. If the service was a Bristol TM starter then one of the announcements you will hear is a request for passengers with Advance tickets to check that they are on the service that tallies with their reservation. This announcement is then followed by the warning that if you are not on your booked service then you will be liable to pay the full open fare for your journey. A penalty fare is also an option in these circumstances but I've yet to hear PF (Penalty Fare)'s mentioned on HST (High Speed Train)'s starting at Bristol. 'Full Open Fare' is the usual announcement.

Regardless of the problems with delays or cancellations to preceding services, this announcement still needs to be made as it is perfectly possible that there may be pax onboard with Advance tickets for a later service.

Of course, one would hope that pax booked on earlier delayed/cancelled services would not face sanction. I'm fairly confident that FGW (First Great Western) staff have not chinged pax in these circumstances.

L. Avery's rant would appear to be unfounded. However I do like the term 'self-righteous member of staff'. Much better than 'jobsworth'.  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:38:31 »

you cannot be penalty fared for being on a restricted ticket!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 13:56:26 »

Theres ways around that.
Withdraw the old ticket and just PF (Penalty Fare) them as if they had no ticket.
You can actually be PFd for being on certain types of restricted tickets, or charged the full SOS/FOS. I know of loads of PF trained collectors that do that.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 14:00:28 »

you cannot be penalty fared for being on a restricted ticket!
I believe section 12 of the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) allows penalty fares to be charged for being on the wrong train.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 14:09:19 »

I thought that a PF (Penalty Fare) couldn't be issued if you had an off peak ticket on a peak train, but hat if you had an invalid AP ticket then you were treated as if you had no ticket and a PF could be issued.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 14:41:11 »

That too, was my interpretation of the PF (Penalty Fare) Rules. Off Peak on a Peak service then no PF should be issued. Advance on wrong service, then effectively no valid ticket is held, so a PF may be issued.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 18:01:30 »

An off peak on peak then an excess should be issued. Refuse to pay the excess then its a different ballgame.
Same with off route tickets, but travel beyond vailidity can be PFd.

AP can be PFd, as indeed your ticket is only valid for one specific train.

readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 18:34:18 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have been accepting Advance on any train on the correct (or previous) day to help those who have been disrupted through no fault of their own. It's been kept fairly quiet so that those who can travel at their booked time don't jump on the bandwagon.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 20:03:59 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) running bandwagons now are they? Gotta be better than a Vomiter.....  Tongue Wink Grin

Merry Christmas, rts!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: