Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 06:32:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 592535 times)
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1305 on: December 23, 2019, 23:55:05 »

Myself and Mrs FT, N (Vivienne or Viv to those who know her) were at St Andrews, Halberton, last night. The pews were fine.

Pews? Luxury! I 'ave to sit on the rock 'ard organ bench throughout the whole service... [contd. p94]
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1306 on: January 01, 2020, 07:45:54 »

Someone has c*cked up a press release ... at 00:06 this morning, on the news feeds an old article from 31st August 2018.   Oops!

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/elizabeth-line-services-through-central-london-to-start-in-2019

Welcome to 2020, a whole decade prepared for new bloopers!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: January 01, 2020, 08:54:37 »

Credit where credit is due Grahame.

They did remember to update the year on the copyright date at the foot of the page
!

Happy New Year all!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 01, 2020, 12:16:58 »

Crossrail have been quoted in the media today as saying it will finish on time and on budget. It isn't April 1st is it? (Sorry should be the season of goodwill)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: January 01, 2020, 21:01:13 »

Elizabeth Line to Reading: Do you need a different ticket for TfL» (Transport for London - about) or GWR (Great Western Railway) trains to London?

I'd assumed not, but some media coverage has caused me to wonder.

Not so helpful: "Children under the age of 11 can travel for free on the TfL network between Reading and London Paddington with a fare-paying adult, making day trips to the capital even more affordable. Under TfL rules, all children under the age of five can travel for free with a fare-paying adult."

Not that I have any children, but the contradiction puzzles me.

Marlburian

Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: January 01, 2020, 21:44:37 »

The article also suggests there best way to tell you are getting the right train back with your kids is to make sure it stops at all stations. How do people unfamiliar with the tell if it’s doing all stations. Surely the best way tell would be to get on the one which is purple and white in colour with TFL (Transport for London) written on the side
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1311 on: January 01, 2020, 23:29:04 »

No contradiction. One statement is a subset of the other.  Grin Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 02, 2020, 00:11:46 »

Not so helpful: "Children under the age of 11 can travel for free on the TfL» (Transport for London - about) network between Reading and London Paddington with a fare-paying adult, making day trips to the capital even more affordable. Under TfL rules, all children under the age of five can travel for free with a fare-paying adult."

Not that I have any children, but the contradiction puzzles me.

Marlburian

I think for an explanation you have to look up TfL's rules for 5-10 Zip Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) photocards:
Children aged 5-10 get free travel on all our transport services with a Zip Oyster photocard.

Benefits
    Free travel on Tube, DLR (Docklands Light Railway), London Overground and TfL Rail
    Free travel on most National Rail services that accept pay as you go
    50% off adult rate tickets on the Thames Clippers River Bus services
    Pay as you go at a child rate on the Emirates Air Line

Who is it for?
    Children aged 5-10 can use a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard.

Your child doesn't need a photocard to:
    Travel free on buses and trams
    Buy child-rate paper tickets (unless they look older than 10)
    Travel accompanied by an adult on Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and some National Rail services

How to apply
    A parent or guardian must apply for a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard.

Under-5s always travel free, and "accompanied" is left unsaid.

You'll note the less than helpful "some National Rail services" there. In fact, having read that, I'm still not clear what free travel with no card is based on.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:51:28 by stuving » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1313 on: January 02, 2020, 10:39:29 »

I've got 10 months to test the under 11 rule with my grandson from Taplow. Will try and ley you know how it goes.
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #1314 on: January 07, 2020, 08:55:21 »

Any idea why the middle doors on each carriage don't open when the train arrives in Paddington?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 07, 2020, 09:12:58 »

Any idea why the middle doors on each carriage don't open when the train arrives in Paddington?

There was an explanation - with pictures - from diamond geezer, ending with this:
Answer, sourced from TfL» (Transport for London - about) internal comms: Due to the curve of some Paddington high level platforms, the middle door ends up being a long way from the edge. The train's GPS isn't quite up to telling which platform the train is at (8ft makes a difference between the middle door being nearest the edge and furthest away) so all middle doors are locked out.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 07, 2020, 09:29:27 »

I think that perhaps this is only an issue on P12, and possibly also on P10.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 07, 2020, 09:32:08 »

I think that perhaps this is only an issue on P12.

Indeed - having thought about this a bit, and noting the article was dated July 2018, I don't entirely believe it. The train must "know" which way round it is, and which platfrom it's at, to open the doors on the right side. But it may not have had this added bit of software sorted out then - does it now? I mean does it only leave those centre doors closed on the inner curves, or even only on the worst ones?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 07, 2020, 20:35:35 »

The train must "know" which way round it is, and which platfrom it's at, to open the doors on the right side.

Having recently returned from Paddington on a IET (Intercity Express Train) heading for Exeter, but with Newquay showing on the internal display, causing the TM(resolve) to have to make his own announcement after each stop, I find your faith in technology touching.  Grin

Now, please!
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 07, 2020, 22:10:50 »

Note to self: do not lean against the doors as we approach Paddington.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: