17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
Delayed
16:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 18:42:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[121] access for all at Devon stations report
[38] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[27] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[5] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[3] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 592676 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 25, 2014, 21:18:48 »

Cough ... I rather think we've used that particular one-liner before: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8946.msg118729#msg118729   Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin

Crikey - that was nearly two years ago! I forget things I did and said earlier this Christmas holiday. But my apologies, and thanks for keeping such detailed notes.

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 30, 2014, 20:21:14 »

The platform canopy is being removed on platform 4 ready to be cut back for electrification also part of the roof is off of the train shed.  All just in time for the winter  Roll Eyes

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 30, 2014, 20:25:45 »

Sorry, which station are you referring to?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 30, 2014, 21:06:00 »

I'm guessing it's not Temple Meads...

Reading or Maidenhead?

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 30, 2014, 21:53:30 »

Other than Paddington there is only one station on Crossrail that has a train shed ............. Maidenhead

Also the canopy is coming off at Burnham as well

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
John R

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 30, 2014, 22:03:32 »

Are these going to be reinstated in as close a form to the original as is possible, or is another part of Great Western heritage being lost in the name of progress?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2014, 22:08:22 »

Canopy partly cut back on paltform 3 at Taplow.

Flower beds dug up!
Chris125

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 09, 2014, 20:59:35 »

A map of the proposed Crossrail WCML (West Coast Main Line) link has appeared as part of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) Ltd's community consultations, with thanks to an eagle-eyed poster on London Reconnections:

http://assets.hs2.org.uk/sites/default/files/event_speakers/LWM-HS2-EN-MAP-010-000002-P06.pdf

Fully segregated from the Dudding Hill line with turnback sidings, this looks likely to be the route put forward in the forthcoming consultation.

Chris
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 19, 2014, 14:16:30 »

Having just done the short shuttle to Colnbrook Sidings in a 150 I was curious as to the future Crossrail plans at West Drayton, particularly the tortuous dog-leg into the old Staines Branch loop platform. 

I came across this plan which shows how this will be achieved, utilising the strip of railway land formally used for canal side warehousing.  Quite a neat plan I think.

(Edited so I.I. can stop coughing!)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 15:31:58 by Oxonhutch » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 19, 2014, 15:06:53 »

Yes, it is a pretty neat plan and one that was pretty much the only option at [cough] West Drayton  Wink

The land between the current formation and canal is ideal for smoothing out the curves to reinstate an extra platform for passenger use, and the platform 'extension' will, in reality, be almost a completely new platform.  The new footbridge will make providing lifts much easier than using the current subway, and presumably a much more inviting concourse/ticket hall will be provided.

It looks as if work has already started on getting the land ready for the new platform to be built, which will presumably have to happen before the old platform can be fully demolished.  I'm guessing that freight trains will cross onto the existing up relief line before the station (using the new crossover marked on the map), so that the new platform can be built without disrupting the station workings too much.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 19, 2014, 20:28:15 »

Having taken a fair chunk of the roof off at Maidenhead (hopefully to be replaced soon) we now can't see what is being displayed on the departures board between platforms 4 and 5 unless it's a very dull day.. Also the coffee kiosk either has to suffer rain coming in the front of it or sun (since the sun is low this time of year) melting anything that can melt on the food on offer..

Do we know if it will be replaced with something (permanent or not) soon?

Also this is the place where the information staff stand so they have had to relocate to somewhere less visible if it's raining..

Not sure how thought through this has all been?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 20, 2014, 12:05:13 »

As with other projects that need the station to remain fully operational whilst major surgery is done on the structure of it, there will no doubt be a little inconvenience to users of the station, especially when the weather isn't great.  Sometimes it doesn't matter how well thought through it is, without spending megabucks it is just necessary to just put up with it for a while.  The same situation occurred at Reading in the early days of the remodelling (particularly on the old Platform 9) and is currently also happening at Burnham whilst the platform canopy is modified there.

Hopefully the level of inconvenience won't be too major, but with a new platform, extended platforms, revised track layout, turnback sidings, modified canopies, and new ticket hall and lifts to construct it's going to resemble a building site for a couple of years I would have thought!

More details about the specific alterations at Maidenhead for Crossrail can be found here:
http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab656259048fb93837ecc0ecbcf0c557.r23.cf3.rackcdn.com/assets/library/document/0/original/0002_r_w25maidenheadstnr1.pdf

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:48 »

One thing I've noticed at Maidenhead recently is that Shoppenhangars carpark is getting full more quickly in the morning.  I'd say by maybe 25 cars, prior to 7am.  Is Silco Drive still open?

I know the forecourt has lost a few spaces but this feels more substantial than that.  I first noticed it in May/June time, then it was fine for the school holidays, and now it is worse again.  No chance of parking after 7.30am.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:58 »

Having taken a fair chunk of the roof off at Maidenhead (hopefully to be replaced soon) we now can't see what is being displayed on the departures board between platforms 4 and 5 unless it's a very dull day.. Also the coffee kiosk either has to suffer rain coming in the front of it or sun (since the sun is low this time of year) melting anything that can melt on the food on offer..

Do we know if it will be replaced with something (permanent or not) soon?

Also this is the place where the information staff stand so they have had to relocate to somewhere less visible if it's raining..

The planning application for the changes to Maidenhead Station is 14/02115/XRL ; you can find this (with a little persistence) on rbwm.gov.uk.

I can't say I find RBWM's planning portal particularly user-friendly!

They certainly plan to put up new canopies, but my search for even a vague nod in the direction of 'heritage' proved fruitless - you may have more luck; sadly all looks pretty utilitarian to me.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 19, 2014, 09:36:58 »

All Crossrail stations are now to become step free:

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2014/11/19/extra-14m-to-make-all-crossrail-stations-step-free/

Whilst this is undoubtedly good news, I'd rather some of the much larger and busier stations that currently have no disabled access that are not on the Crossrail route were sorted out first, rather than the likes of Iver.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: