Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:41:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 114
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossrail/Elizabeth Line. From construction to operation - ongoing discussion  (Read 593451 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: January 30, 2022, 17:05:09 »

Not great I grant you, but mountains out of molehills if you ask me.  It’s not as if they spent the whole day roaming the tunnels and stations at will.  They snuck through a gate onto a train and got picked up when they got off at the other end.

I’d have thought someone with ‘evil intent’ would be better off waiting until it was properly open…or get a job actually working on the project?

"Snuck" doesn't seem to be the right word here. "Walked" through a gate that should not have been open and got on the train showing "Paddington" as the destination seems more like it. As you say, a real malefactor would probably wait until the service was up and running, then buy a ticket or use a card to gain entry.

Embarrassing, probably not a sacking matter, but there will have been a memo with a three-line whip.

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: February 08, 2022, 16:18:37 »

There are internal memos seeking volunteer railway staff to assist in a couple of evacuation exercise days.  (Note these are not open to members of the public)

So things are getting close to opening, the hard line in the sand for opening seems to be in time for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee weekend ..................... or heads will roll  Shocked

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: February 08, 2022, 18:53:07 »

It might be the Charles Line by the time they finish!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: February 08, 2022, 19:56:05 »

So things are getting close to opening, the hard line in the sand for opening seems to be in time for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee weekend ..................... or heads will roll  Shocked

Before the previous scheme was mothballed, it had been hoped to open in 1991...

Thames News (London ITV)

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: February 09, 2022, 09:50:34 »

There are internal memos seeking volunteer railway staff to assist in a couple of evacuation exercise days.  (Note these are not open to members of the public)

I expect that some degree of opening will indeed be achieved by the Jubilee weekend.
Fully open and with a frequent service, most unlikely in my view. Far too much still to go wrong.

Signaling trips or locks up, resulting in a very restricted and slow service.
Over sensitive fire alarms resulting in frequent evacuations.
RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) find something unsafe and threaten to strike, more money makes the risk go away.
Extreme weather floods, overheats, or breaks something important.
Failures of traction current, due to increased complexity and reduced reliability.
Failures of power supply to stations, backup arrangements found inadequate.
Endless security alerts.
Cyber criminals close down the computer systems and demand ransom. Foreign powers likewise to cause trouble.
Extinction rebellion or other protest groups do something disruptive.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: February 09, 2022, 18:31:00 »

At least that beats Portishead, which may yet be the George VII line.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: February 09, 2022, 21:45:55 »

I expect that some degree of opening will indeed be achieved by the Jubilee weekend.
Fully open and with a frequent service, most unlikely in my view. Far too much still to go wrong.

The opening stages have been clearly defined for some time now (though without exact dates) - https://www.crossrail.co.uk/project/our-plan-to-complete-the-elizabeth-line/phased-opening

I consider it very unlikely that the initial 5-minute interval service (12tph) won’t happen from the get go…any less and you might risk disruption due to crowding…and I would certainly describe that as frequent.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 10, 2022, 08:11:14 »

New-look Burnham Station opens ready to bring the Elizabeth Line to Reading

I did wonder about some of the phrasing in the article, such as: "Part of the new Crossrail network, Burnham Station will eventually connect Elizabeth Line passengers with central London as well as Shenfield in the east."
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 10, 2022, 10:07:31 »

This has been going on since the end of British Rail. Crossrail has been sold and confused as a brand new line for the service’s entire length rather than a tunnel under london joining railways well established. I guess it’s a marketing trick learnt from estate agents and the like that the current cabinet are now also using for ‘new’ hospitals etc. Using the word ‘delivered’ to describe something done appeared around the same time. It works too, many times have I corrected better educated than me people on what crossrail actually is, with many convinced it was a brand new line in tunnel from Reading to Essex running at unimaginable speeds. The connecting of stopping services much like Thameslink, which wasn’t promoted in the same manner and isn’t confused as more than it is.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #1509 on: February 13, 2022, 06:52:34 »

Could it be.......
william line by Robert, on Flickr
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1510 on: February 13, 2022, 07:50:33 »

I'm pretty sure that member's views will range from ardent royalist to fervent federalist with many shades between. I'm going to take the highly unusual step of asking members to stay roughly on topic, as well as the highly usual step of having/asking members to be respectful of all individuals, even where we strongly question their office or actions. This request is NOT triggered by posts so far but rather in anticipation of where they could lead, especially over a period of time ahead. It will probably made a separate thread in due course; this thread HAS triggered my own though process, looking ahead.

The Queen has reached the age of 97, and UK (United Kingdom) data tells us that life expectancy is not great at that age - the following table showing (mid year 2020 the last line, mid year 2019 the row above, and so on) how the numbers of people in the UK of a certain age falls rapidly in the "very old".  So, whether or not we are royalist, unviewed or federalist, we should also be realistic and understand that in all likelihood The Queen will pass while most of us are still around, and on this forum too.  I understand that "Operation Forth Bridge" is in place for when this comes to pass and no doubt it have elements that relate to the forum (the very title of the operation does!) and also no doubt that members will continue to act as they have with other areas of great controversy, such as Brexit and of great public concern such as Coronavius, Climate and the Environment.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 13, 2022, 08:08:43 »

Interesting to see in that table if you look at the bottom left you can see a pattern in recent years where there's a sudden big increase of around 50% in the number reaching each age. It's most obviously seen in 2020 where the number aged 100 goes up from 4980 to 7590 (and it happens a year earlier for 99 and so on).

That looks like the effect of the end of WW1, when everyone who survived returned home and family life resumed.  Amazing that we can still see a pattern in our population due to an effect of the Great War. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1512 on: February 13, 2022, 09:08:15 »

Interesting to see in that table if you look at the bottom left you can see a pattern in recent years ....

Utterly fascinating.  I had wondered but - duh - of course!   On a more sombre note, I see a significant reduction of numbers in nearly every year in 2020 - the effect of Coronavirus, I would suggest. And I wonder what the figures for 2021 will show when they're published in September.

Data source:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/ageing/datasets/midyearpopulationestimatesoftheveryoldincludingcentenariansunitedkingdom

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: February 13, 2022, 09:34:47 »

I think that's as much to do with birth patterns a century ago too, in that the post war baby boom was very short lived, so the columns below 100 are already drifting back downwards after the sudden spike.  I can't seem to post an image, but there's a chart in the link you posted where you can see the spike.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1514 on: February 13, 2022, 09:56:42 »

I think that's as much to do with birth patterns a century ago too, in that the post war baby boom was very short lived, so the columns below 100 are already drifting back downwards after the sudden spike.  I can't seem to post an image, but there's a chart in the link you posted where you can see the spike.

I'm not sure if this is the chart - but I have hosted it, and it does show the pattern change

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 114
  Print  

Jump to: