Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 04:18:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is needed to make a useful, attractive, used train service?  (Read 6753 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 02, 2013, 20:40:55 »

A clear sign telling you the station is there ...

... an easy to find entrance, without steps ...

... a platform.  Flowers, seats and a shelter are welcome too ...

... information about how to make use of the station for new users ...

... real time information provision, either now or in the very near future ...

... and train services at least every couple of hours.  Here's the 14:35 departure ...

... going to places that people want to go to ...

... here's the next train - the 16:16 departure ...

... taking people to desirable tourist destinations, work and school.

We've already got a lot of these things on the TransWilts ... the one thing missing at Melksham, and to a lesser extent at Dilton Marsh, are trains at least every couple of hours.  And those are vital - if there's no train during the day for 11 hours and 51 minutes, you won't get much use ...

The Welsh coast line, where these pictures were taken, really works. Pwhelli at the end of the line has a population around 4000.  Criccieth and Harlech are both under 2000. Portmadoc / Porthmadog has less than 5000.  Barmouth / Abermaw is less than 3000, Towyn is much bigger at just under 8000. Finally on "the branch", Aberdovey / Aberdyfi has a population of around 1300.  Operation requires (?) 3 units, and they're uniformly 2 car 158s.

In contrast, all four out of five stations on the northern section of the TransWilts have populations of over 20,000, with Westbury (the smallest) somewhere around 13,000 to 14,000. So why on earth is it taking so long to get a service that's even half as good as the Welsh coast one?  Most of the things are in place ... just a single train missing!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 20:53:35 »

The Welsh Government transport policies vs. English government transport policies.
The welsh government have pro-actively put energy into getting a decent rail service. Our English government isn't bothered as I see it.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 20:59:57 »

O,r, more bluntly, who pays to run this line? And why?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 21:09:51 »

O,r, more bluntly, who pays to run this line? And why?

Well .. what I didn't make clear (and should have done) is that the trains are always pretty busy, so the answer is "the passengers" to a large part - some through the farebox and more through their payment into the local economy of the area. The attitude of Shell Island, not accepting arrivals by train, is very much the exception (and In my view a shameful one) in these parts.  I've used the line quite a few times - this year, last year, earlier years and there are plenty of people on the trains.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 21:33:52 »

The trains in Wales - or at least the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) ones - are run under a service agreement with the Welsh Government.  The current rail subsidy is something over ^150 million per annum. I think I'm right in saying that ATW's income is about 50% subsidy and 50% fares.

The Cambrian Coast line runs from Pwllheli to Dovey Junction where it meets the branch from Aberystwyth.  At Machynlleth the Aberystwyth and Pwllhelli trains join so there are 4 cars to Shrewsbury.  Coming the other way, the 4 car train obviously divides.

ATW's main 158 service facility is at Machynlleth.

If you travel on the line in the peak morning or mid afternoon, you will find that it's the school bus.

One possibility being mooted for 2018, when ATW's franchise ends, is that the railway should be operated by a not for profit company.  We already have that with Welsh Water, which belongs to the nation.  Welcome to the People's Republic of Wales.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 21:48:10 »

Well, yes ... of course political prejudice works both ways.

Just how good an argument is "the people do support it - they are prepared to pay nearly half what it costs"?
OK, I know, they pay the other half as well. Strictly speaking it goes "they are happier to pay half the cost and not use it than the full cost and do so."
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 23:39:49 »

Grin  A political debate.

This comes back to the argument about the need for a "social railway".   I doubt if anyone could run the Cambrian line or the Heart of Wales line economically but a decision has been made that the services are needed.  That being so, they have to be subsidised.

Most of the rural Wales bus services are heavily subsidised as well.

It might be argued that a franchising model is inappropriate for a subsidised service, on the grounds that the handout should not include profit for shareholders.

The next step is obviously a train service free at the point of delivery.  Take out the fare collection mechanisms, the associated accountants, the barriers and ticket collectors and so on and you'd cut the operating costs hugely.  Take out the profit for shareholders as well and there's a further cut in the cost of provision. 

We'll keep the red flag flying...

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:06 »

There is a quite long, but interesting article in this month's Modern Railways explaining the complexities of running the line and in particular the new European signalling system installed recently.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 17:44:22 »

What was that you said, grahame? I didn't quite catch it.

Was it - Padstow at the end of the line has a population around 3000.  Halwill and St Kew are both under 2000. Wadebridge has less than 7000.  Camelford is less than 3000, Launceston is much bigger at just under 9000. Finally on "the branch", Bude has a population of around 10000?

No? Sorry, my mistake...

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 18:35:55 »

Ah but:

1) The roads through North Devon and North Cornwall are quite good, not so the roads to the Cambrian Coast. Bodmin is just off the dual carriageway A30 - but a short drive to Padstow. Bude is just off the A39. There are natural barriers on the Cambrian Coast that diverts the roads a long way round, so replacement buses would take a long time.

2) There is no parallel railway line conveniently close to the Cambrian Coast - if they really wanted to keep a railway to Wadebridge and Padstow it would have been cheaper to have kept the line from Bodmin Road Parkway. A bus service still runs from Bodmin Road Parkway to Padstow via Wadebridge.

3) The Cambrian Coast Line never closed so there is no big cost associated with re-opening it!

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 18:56:04 »

Ah but:

1) The roads through North Devon and North Cornwall are quite good, not so the roads to the Cambrian Coast. Bodmin is just off the dual carriageway A30 - but a short drive to Padstow. Bude is just off the A39. There are natural barriers on the Cambrian Coast that diverts the roads a long way round, so replacement buses would take a long time.

2) There is no parallel railway line conveniently close to the Cambrian Coast - if they really wanted to keep a railway to Wadebridge and Padstow it would have been cheaper to have kept the line from Bodmin Road Parkway. A bus service still runs from Bodmin Road Parkway to Padstow via Wadebridge.

3) The Cambrian Coast Line never closed so there is no big cost associated with re-opening it!

The A39 along the Atlantic Highway towards Camelford and Bude is an awful road.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 19:27:51 »

We appear to have taken a wrong turn down our own Atlantic Highway here - Reopening at huge expense is this way  Grin

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 19:54:48 »

The A39 along the Atlantic Highway towards Camelford and Bude is an awful road.

OK but it is still not far off the A30.

We appear to have taken a wrong turn down our own Atlantic Highway here - Reopening at huge expense is this way  Grin

Only to illustrate the differences. Those who want to explore further should indeed follow the link.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 20:12:40 »

I think we only think of them as huge amounts because we're conditioned to think that spending more than 10/- on a rail project outside the M25 is rank profligacy. Even if rebuilding the North Cornwall Railway to Padstow cost ^1,000,000,000 (I don't think it would!), that would seem to me not an unreasonable sum to put half a county back on the rail network.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: