12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
18:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 13:55:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Maidenhead station - car parking issues - ongoing discussion  (Read 106980 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 22:25:53 »

Bullsh*t.

Something the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) sent in 2010 and also features on several county council websites...
It is very unlikely that you would face any legal liability, as long as you are careful, and use common sense to ensure that you do not make the pavement or pathway clearly more dangerous than before. People using areas affected by snow and ice also have responsibility to be careful themselves.

It's 20 years since I studied law. I remember one of the leading cases was a town hall whose steps were cleared of snow, but not properly. Ebrown is right to point out that whatever is done must be done properly.

I'm sure FGW (First Great Western) will make sure the car park is as safe as it can be. As Oxman pointed out, there is a lot of clearing to be done by a finite number of people. Platforms will be priority number one, the car park will get done in due course. Clearing a car park of snow is hard work. To whoever does it - a big thank you.

Now, please!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2013, 22:43:07 »

Maidenhead platforms were clear by Friday night (And a bit thank you to who did that).. It is now Monday evening.. I'm pretty sure they are waiting for the car park snow to melt.. As you will see if you read my initial post.. It looks as if maybe FGW (First Great Western)/APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) contract out the clearing/gritting of car parks? Though I don't know if that is true or not.. The on-line advertiser still doesn't have the letter on btw or I'd post a link..
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2013, 23:17:45 »

Maidenhead platforms this morning hadn't been cleared (well platform 2 anyway - too early in the morning to look at the others!).  One of the staff was making the effort around 7am to clear the snow from the yellow line - presumably so that when the announcer said "please stand behind the yellow line" you'd have an idea where it was.

Shoppenhangars car park was a scene from winter wonderland with no evidence of gritting, etc.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2013, 09:06:47 »

It had to happen to me didn't it ?!?!    Roll Eyes

Parked up at Shoppenhangers this morning, gingerly walked to the station and slipped straight over.
Blood pouring out of a 3" gash to my hand and others on my leg.

Notified the station staff who pulled the 'nothing to do with us gov' approach.
Called APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) who sent me to FGW (First Great Western), who confirmed it is their responsibility.  Waiting for a call back from head office.

I love commuting.  Its so much fun.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:24:46 by NickB » Logged
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2013, 12:14:32 »

The attitude of the station staff is completely unacceptable and entirely contrary to the rules, which state that every accident must be recorded on a form RAF01 and noted in the station accident log. Form RAF01 includes sections to be completed by the station manager re inspection of the site and rectification of hazards found. All staff are briefed on this procedure at least annually.

The RAF01 is sent to the Safety department and checked there. Actions are recorded on a database and the Station Manager must then report on progress. The database will flag up open actions, so there is no escape.

Follow it through and find out why this procedure was not followed. Also ask what action is being taken to make the area safe.

By the way, if you had gone to hospital, the accident would have been Riddor reportable and the Station Manager would have had to produce a report within 72 hours.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2013, 20:37:01 »

It had to happen to me didn't it ?!?!    Roll Eyes

Parked up at Shoppenhangers this morning, gingerly walked to the station and slipped straight over.
Blood pouring out of a 3" gash to my hand and others on my leg.

Notified the station staff who pulled the 'nothing to do with us gov' approach.
Called APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) who sent me to FGW (First Great Western), who confirmed it is their responsibility.  Waiting for a call back from head office.

I love commuting.  Its so much fun.

And all someone had to do in the last five days or so.. Was grit the car park... assuming it was the car park you fell over in?

I am very interested to know what FGW say about that (whether the car park is their responsibility or if not someone elses, but it is still in FGWs interest).. Hope you're ok NickB?

johoare

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2013, 22:55:33 »

The attitude of the station staff is completely unacceptable and entirely contrary to the rules, which state that every accident must be recorded on a form RAF01 and noted in the station accident log. Form RAF01 includes sections to be completed by the station manager re inspection of the site and rectification of hazards found. All staff are briefed on this procedure at least annually.

The RAF01 is sent to the Safety department and checked there. Actions are recorded on a database and the Station Manager must then report on progress. The database will flag up open actions, so there is no escape.

Follow it through and find out why this procedure was not followed. Also ask what action is being taken to make the area safe.

By the way, if you had gone to hospital, the accident would have been Riddor reportable and the Station Manager would have had to produce a report within 72 hours.

Not sure if you know or not Oxman but the car park this post was about is a little way from the station, and includes a public footpath/road to get there. I don't know but is the station Manager responsible for remote from the station locations as this?
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2013, 23:58:13 »

I don't know the geography of the area, but was going on the admission from FGW (First Great Western) (as reported by NickB) that it is responsible for the car park. If this is the case, then the Station Manager will be the local manager responsible for the site.

APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) was, until a few years ago, contracted to treat car parks, although the contract was unsatisfactory in its scope. APCOA was relieved of its responsibilities when Mitie was contracted to provide gritting and snow clearance.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:38 »

Morning,

Thanks for your concern johoare - my cuts and scrapes will mend, although I've got rather a stiff neck still.

To clarify where/what happened it was indeed in the carpark, on the slope down towards the (unmanned) ticket booth.  I went down with a bang!  Grin
After my unsuccessful attempt to report it at the station I called the FGW (First Great Western) CarParks line, they then passed me to the main Customer Helpline.  Both operators confirmed that FGW own and are responsible for the Maidnehead carparks and that APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) only collect revenue.  As an aside, to cover myself I also emailed APCOA but they have been silent so far.
FGW asked me to supply the details in writing or email, marking for attention of a particular person.  I did this yesterday morning, but no response yet.

What was quite interesting was that the Customer Services person was in some ways more concerned about the dismissal I received at the station rather than the incident itself.  I guess Oxman's comments demonstrate where the station staff were amiss.

If anything interesting happens I'll keep you updated.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2013, 22:51:12 »

I  may be wrong but I think your reply from Apcoa (if you get one at all) is  that they don't deal with complaints by email..
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 16:41:34 »

I had a slightly strange answering phone message from Network rail today to say that "the works" that I had enquired about would be scheduled either for 2013 or 2014 depending on funding...Having said that it looks like they might have started sorting the drains out today (or they are doing something else.. it's hard to tell)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2013, 22:28:05 »

Tonight at 8.15 I got back to Silco drive car park to find it without lights.. I can only imagine that isn't safe for anyone? I imagine Network Rail are most likely responsible for that and so I won't get response should I complain.. I also imagine/can tell from previous posts of mine that  no one here is that bothered unless they use that car park... but... it is quite important that people can get to their cars relatively safely surely?  I for one won't want to use it until it is sorted which might not be anytime soon...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2013, 23:27:21 »

Hmm. It really isn't very good, is it, Jo?

I can't find anything useful in the way of possible contacts at Network Rail, other than to suggest that you telephone their helpline (open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, apparently!) on 08457 11 41 41 - and keep on at them until the matter is escalated to someone who will do something about it.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2013, 23:34:20 »

Thanks Chris.. I will do that (though I can't do that from work which probably restricts it a bit).. but since the "puddle/lake" "won't" potentially be sorted out until 2014.. I do wonder how long it would take me to get a reply ... Hhhm.. that worries me a lot about what their main job/aim is... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2013, 01:00:18 »

Lighting issues would get a much higher priority than puddles/lakes, and are likely to be much easier to fix.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: