14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Great Malvern
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 19:40:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Reservations with season tickets.....two questions I need answered once and ..  (Read 14785 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: January 11, 2011, 14:21:53 »

for all - has been mused over the years but never had a definitive answer however there are two questions I NEED answering before next week

1. If one has a standard class season ticket - is a seat reservation possible by going to a ticket office

2. If (1) is possible - can the person in the ticket office ensure that the reservation is a window seat at a lesser spotted table

Clearly I would be making reservations enough in advance that seat availability is not really the issue.

New gig starts next week and I will need to be in trafalger square every day - I'm balking at the cost of season tickets in FC(resolve) and trying to work out other options.

As I've said before, its only access to a table I'm bothered about (and I can happily reduce my real estate requirements if I have to)

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 15:23:04 »

(1) Yes
(2) Almost certainly not - can't necessarily guarantee whether it'll be a LD or HD set operating a given service for starters...
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 15:47:18 »

I might try it for a week or so

Would be getting on at temple meads at 0630 so I should stand some sort of chance at least on the way up

And I left it until the 7pm departure coming home, again, I should stand a chance if I work out the platform early

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 16:53:15 »

Don't FGW (First Great Western) charge for seat reservations that are not made at the same time you buy your ticket?

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 17:12:46 »

Don't FGW (First Great Western) charge for seat reservations that are not made at the same time you buy your ticket?

How much?

What if I buy the weekly season at a station and just do all my ressies at the same time?

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 17:25:20 »

^5 per reservation made
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 17:33:18 »

In coach A, window table seats are 29,33,56,60 in both high and low density sets.

In coaches B & D window table seats are 25,29,56,60 again in both HD and LD sets.

So it may be potentially possible to book one of those on request at a booking office as it will make no difference what set is diagrammed. Whether a specific numbered seat can still be booked, I know not. Paging Ollie....

Even if they could be booked I imagine the table seats go pretty quickly when the Advance Purchase window opens for each particular service.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 17:37:37 »

I'm thinking at the times I'm going, i.e. obnoxious peak, I may get lucky - will try tomorrow

But if ollie can confirm if numbered seats can be booked first.....

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 17:38:57 »

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8018.msg80594#msg80594
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 17:48:16 »

Thanks brucey! Somewhere in the back of my mind I also remembered this issue of specific seats being covered before. I too was searching..... and no surprise it was Ollie who had the answer. He's a good lad!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 18:04:13 »

Why not try the 0640 service? Stops at fewer places (RA Swindon - Paddington) and gets in about 2or 3 mins behind the 0630. (Unless of course it has been withdrawn in dec10!!)
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 18:28:18 »

I'm pretty sure that numbered seats can be reserved, as that was the case when during my ScotRail days some friends and I took advantage of the friends and family offer. Only snag was that we were travelling too early, so bought full fare to Carlisle and then cheapos from Carlisle to Manchester and the booking clerk made sure the reservations were made for the same seats (rather than selling all the tickets and then making a reservation for the whole journey for some reason).
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 18:55:44 »

Well I was going to split at Didcot

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 19:03:08 »

Well I was going to split at Didcot

Have to say, this is invariably good advice.

One of the rules I live my life by in fact: always split at Didcot.

Along with never leave a bottle of red wine unfinished (and many more besides...)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 19:39:34 »

Worked out with three tickets - chippenham, dicot, pad - can save ^75 on a standard monthly

If my eyes were not watering it would save ^230 on an FC(resolve) monthly - but even with the saving ^1617.60 is a bit much

I did think about going via warminster as waterloo is my ultimate destination (trafalger square is my location) but gets me there too late

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: