Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:18:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington Station - wow factor  (Read 33717 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2011, 13:54:25 »

After 15 years, a small part of Paddington's Span 4 'crash deck' has been removed following the ongoing ^35m refurbishment works.  Suddenly, and almost surrealy, part of Platform 9 is now bathed in natural light again, revealing the re-glazed and repainted roof above.

Here's a couple of poor quality snaps taken on my iPhone:

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 20:47:21 »

for an I-phone i think the photos are very good. Anyway it would be great to be able to photograph the Heathrow connect  class 360 & First Great Western class 165/166's in  light rather than the  gloom
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 21:53:36 »

I saw this post earlier and intended to take a look when I got to Paddington on my way home..  I failed to remember it would be dark by then  Roll Eyes.. Monday morning though.. It'll be nice to be slightly less gloomy in there  Grin
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 16:44:45 »

About 80% of the crash deck had now been removed, although quite a lot of scaffolding still remains - still supporting the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") in some places.  Platforms 9-12 look totally different bathed in daylight now though, and I'm looking forward to the completion of the scheme later in the year.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
dviner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 00:05:02 »

Walking from Platform 14 in the morning, you can really see the detail on the bottom of the arches. Looks really good.

Anyone know what they're going to do with the ramp that goes onto platforms 10/11?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 22:06:12 »

Here's a couple of snaps to show the latest extend of the Span 4 refurbishment - with a proper camera this time...

Viewed from Platform 10 looking towards Reading

Viewed from Platform 11 looking towards Reading

Viewed from Platform 11 looking towards the area still to be finished - note the difference in light levels!

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 18:49:25 »

Yesterday I walked from the London end of platform 12 to platform 13 as the Greenford departed from 12 I looked across to platform 10 and wow
Most of the "Railtrack" scaffold towers that have blighted the forth arch of the station for about 15 years have gone the view across the new limestone paving and the new paint work of the forth arch is really impressive, well worth the ^20 plus million

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 19:02:09 »

I think theres already a thread on this? Wasnt it discussed some weeks ago?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 19:16:41 »

That's what I thought but could not find it

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 19:37:58 »

Yeah I was sat on a train waiting to pull out of platform 10 yesterday.. And  I realised that not only  could I see platform 11.. but how much distance there was between the two.. And how light it all was... Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 21:09:12 »

That's what I thought but could not find it

I've now merged both topics here. Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 21:40:08 »

Anyone know what they're going to do with the ramp that goes onto platforms 10/11?

Just saw this question as a result of the thread being resurrected.  Sad

The ramp you mention is still shown on the planning drawings concerning the new taxi rank and the new H&C station. 

One of the drawings that explains the operation of the new taxi rank labels it as a 'buggy ramp' - perhaps for those staff operated assistance buggies?

Paul
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 14:07:42 »

Just want to add my congradulations to the engineers - it looks stunning! Can't wait for all the works to be properly finished. Will there be a official opening of the 4th span? If so they should get 5043 down from Tysley or better still 6023 on her maiden main line run?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 14:28:59 »

Just want to add my congradulations to the engineers - it looks stunning! Can't wait for all the works to be properly finished. Will there be a official opening of the 4th span? If so they should get 5043 down from Tysley or better still 6023 on her maiden main line run?
What n soot up all that nice new paint  Grin  Would be something special to see though with a rake of chocolate n cream coaches Cheesy

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 23:13:15 »

Last few times I have been to Paddington I have only been over at the Platform 1 side.

This afternoon I returned to  Paddington on the H&C line.  Coming down the steps onto Platform 8, I was struck by the sense of space to my left. What a difference I was disorientated for a moment. 

As I caught the 16:30 from Platform 10 I had my first amble up Platform 9/10 since the Scaffolding came down.  I had not realised how wide it is.  There is room for another two platforms in there if you could get then through the throat.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: