Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:24 Swansea to London Paddington
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 22:00:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington Station - wow factor  (Read 33711 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 00:18:54 »

I, too was at Paddington this afternoon. Nice to grab a swift half in The Isambard with natural light flooding in and no banging and crashing going on overhead!

Now, when I find that pesky USB lead for my camera I'll upload some of the pics I took of the 4th Span.....

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:02:07 »

This afternoon I returned to  Paddington on the H&C line.  Coming down the steps onto Platform 8, I was struck by the sense of space to my left. What a difference I was disorientated for a moment. 
Also removed was a couple of temporary cabins by the stairs to the subway originally placed for the GPO(resolve) in the early 80's the other thing that gives the impression of more space is the overall French limestone paving which has replaced the bitumen and the roadway layout
As I caught the 16:30 from Platform 10 I had my first amble up Platform 9/10 since the Scaffolding came down.  I had not realised how wide it is.  There is room for another two platforms in there if you could get then through the throat.
This was Railtrack's intention to have achieved it span 4 would have been raised to the ground

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:27:35 »

Yes but...

Walking along platform 12 on Tuesday, I was not so impressed by the large number of buckets, old litter bins and the like that had been deployed to catch the rain where it comes in through the roof.

Platform 12 isn't really under span 4, but under what I think will become the new taxi rank. Either way it leaks. Badly.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:06 »

Platform 12 isn't really under span 4, but under what I think will become the new taxi rank. Either way it leaks. Badly.

Yes, Platform 12 is partly under the new taxi rank and partly under the strangely named London Street.  Major works continue there in preparation for the new taxi rank and northern entrance (and the new H&C Line station), so there will be leaks, noise and barricades for some time to come.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 11:07:16 »

I believe (from planning stuff downloaded earlier) that the straight part of the track bed of platforms 11 and 12 is actually aligned with the original London St - which as built was a parallel ramp alongside the present arrivals side approach ramp - it would have provided access to the early goods yard.  The current 'dog leg' alignment of London St just outside the station boundary - the reason for the cut off corner of span 4, dates from around 1910 or so, building a deck over the southern end of P11 and P12 allowed for a continuation of London St over the new platforms.

Hence the 'London St deck', which eventually became known as the Red Star deck, when the parcels shed was built, demolished as part of the current works.  The deck wasn't all built at once though, there's a number of phases to the structures in that area.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 14:04:00 »

Continuing my tradition of providing some before and after shots of major works in the region, here's 4 comparisons of Paddington station's Span 4 refurbishment works.  Before shots are what the public saw, with little or no variation, for the last 15 years, and they are compared with the current views.

The difference, I'm sure you'll agree, is incredible!

1)  View along platforms 9 and 10 from behind the buffer stops.  Note the new left luggage and lost property building replacing the facilities on Platform 12

2)  View along platforms 11 and 12 from behind the buffer stops.

3)  View along platforms 10/11/12 from the end of platform 12.

4)  View along platforms 9 and 10 taken from western end of Span 4.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 15:45:33 »

Thanks for the photos II - it's almost unrecognizable now, at least to someone who hasn't been to Paddington in over a year!
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 16:08:51 »

Thank you for posting those pics. Certainly changed since I was last there back earlier this year
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 16:51:57 »

When I was last there a couple of weeks back it struck me that the original idea of a ramp for taxis down onto the arrival platform was a very uneconomical use of the space available. 

The surface area enclosed under span 4 really ought to allow for at least two more reasonable length platforms - yet I expect if it came to a relevant planning application there'd be those who would object to the removal of the 'historic ramp' for little more reason than 'because they can'...  Roll Eyes

Paul
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 17:01:54 by paul7755 » Logged
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 21:56:14 »

I seem to recall that this area under the hoarding (Is it called Span 4? I can't remember) was targeted by Ken Livingstone as Mayor. He wanted to demolish it, put up a skyscraper with new platforms underneath and possibly move the H+C platforms down to the concourse area. One or more of the bodies that advise on listing issues (English Heritage?) decided that they had no problem with that because it was a later addition to the station and was not as architecturally important.

Alighting from a train on a Saturday evening recently I was struck by just how impressive it is visually now when illuminated and how dark and dismal the main station roof is. Suggests to me that Ken got it wrong. Perhaps it's time for 15 years of scaffolding to clean and better illuminate the rest of the station!  Wink
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 22:33:04 »

I am not sure that Ken Livingstone wanted to demolish it and put a skyscraper up, I do know that was Railtrack's plan principally to generate cash by selling the air space.  Platform space at Paddington will be come less of an issue with Crossrail as most of the TV locals will be Crossrail.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 11:18:16 »

The hoardings along Platform 12 have now come down, revealing the new gateline and escalators leading to the taxi rank and, eventually, new northern entrance.  Platform 12 suddenly looks spacious and modern!  The new taxi rank opens this Sunday.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 15:22:27 »

Nuts! For the first time in over a year I passed through Paddington on Saturday but was in a hurry to make a tight-ish connection from Marylebone so didn't have a chance to take a look at the north side of the station. Oh well, next time I suppose Roll Eyes
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 21:05:33 »

Nuts! For the first time in over a year I passed through Paddington on Saturday but was in a hurry to make a tight-ish connection from Marylebone so didn't have a chance to take a look at the north side of the station. Oh well, next time I suppose Roll Eyes
Not sure you would have seen much on Saturday, Plat 12 would have been closed while they did the reveal

Plat 12 does look smart a far cry form the day when I was on the ODM at Padd and did maintence of battery trucks down there

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 23:29:57 »

ODM?

Was there once a branch of Kenya's Orange Democratic Movement at Paddington?  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: