11:12 Salisbury to Worcester Foregate Street
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 14:31:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[97] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[50] access for all at Devon stations report
[32] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[11] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[2] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[1] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Wales V England - Getting home after the match...  (Read 7684 times)
Pedros

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:58 »

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can give advice please...

I'm off to Cardiff to watch the rugby on the 4th Feb (Friday night) and after our accomodation for the night fell through, we are now looking at traveling back to Swindon by train after the game.

Does anyone have any experience of catching the train on a rugby day?  Is it to be avoided like the plague, or is it well organised and as long as we give ourselves plenty of time there should be no problem? 

I was thinking of the 23.15 off Cardiff, but being the last train, fear complete chaos.

Any thoughts?   War Stories?  Good news stories?

Thanks in advance
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 13:10:37 »

Things are slightly "organised" at Cardiff however I would not reccomend travelling by train if you are unable/unwilling to cope with overcrowding amongst a large number of drunken fans. I have been unluicky enough to have been caught a few times and the crush can be hard on some people however if you can cope with this it is fine. Get there early-ish though as they let people on on a first come first serve basis it seems and if teh train is full they will refuse entry to platform for any more people.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 13:55:51 »

Boarding controls are in operation during such events. I don't even think reservations will let you bypass the queue. No ticket will Defo put you out the queue.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 23:39:28 »

Boarding controls are in operation during such events. I don't even think reservations will let you bypass the queue. No ticket will Defo put you out the queue.
Reservations weren't made available anyway.
Pedros

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 10:08:56 »

Thanks all for your responses.  I think we will give it a whirl and hope for the best.  We'll aim to head straight for the station at the end of the game (no post match supping) and see how it goes.  I'll report back on my experiences.

Out of interest with regards to tickets, do FGW (First Great Western) restrict the number of tickets that can be bought, or do they just keep selling them with potentially 10,000 odd people trying to get on to trains?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 15:38:26 »

They don't restrict the number of turn up and go tickets (anytime and off peaks) sold. 
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 16:17:05 »

Be warned i have heard that some staff are loking at going on strike on that day
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 16:27:27 »

Turns out some ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) staff are going on strike according to BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news so expect these trains to be even busier so straight to station after game is a must if this happens as there will be thousands trying to get back to Newport
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 17:40:54 »

Newport bus will be busy then with all the fans
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 19:42:28 »

Yup.  RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) drivers will be on stop.  Again.  if the last one is anything to go by, that means no Valleys Line trains at all.
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 22:22:49 »

Yep, very few Valley services on an important day! Do the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) wish for the public to use trains?
I can think of easier ways to commit suicide!!!

PS I'll be in work, but away from Cardiff.
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 22:24:27 »

Also on the news tonight, no more Friday night 6 Nations games for the forseeable future.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 06:23:16 »

Also on the news tonight, no more Friday night 6 Nations games for the forseeable future.
I have to say that I am glad about that. Much prefer to watch the games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Pedros

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:35 »

Thanks again everyone for your help and the heads-up about the strike.  Rather than risk not getting a train after the game and being stuck wondering the streets of Cardiff all night, we have decided to impose ourselves on a friend for the night and will head back in the morning. 

Annoyingly, I'd already bought our Friday night return tickets, but there we go...

Look out for me on tele (I'll be the one wearing a Red or White jersey)

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 15:32:47 »

Annoyingly, I'd already bought our Friday night return tickets, but there we go...

If you make a genuine attempt to you the tickets on Friday, but decide not to travel due to overcrowding, I'd assume that the tickets would be valid teh following morning.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: