Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:44 London Paddington to Hereford
10:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:14 London Paddington to Oxford
11:25 Frome to Bristol Temple Meads
14:28 Hereford to London Paddington
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
09:58 Great Malvern to London Paddington
11:55 Great Malvern to London Paddington
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 12:06:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[46] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[20] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[18] Cornish delays
[2] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency engineering in the tunnel  (Read 5838 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2011, 23:55:43 »

Any ideas what caused this earlier today, meant I had to wait at a freezing cold Bristol TM(resolve) for longer than I would have liked!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:49:20 »

Broken rail on the down line. I believe an ex Paddington was caped at BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) and an ex Taunton was caped at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains). Other services were subject to delays and cancellations. Not sure as to the exact location. Was told by an 'on the cushions' driver on my return from Cardiff yesterday evening that the broken rail was actually in the tunnel. I was unable to get any further verification of this after speaking to staff at BPW.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:22:50 »

Broken rail in the tunnel is not good.  I was under the impression that the track in the tunnel was maintained to such a high standard that such things wouldn't happen.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:54:12 »

Isn't it slab track in the tunnel?
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 13:11:59 »

don't know.  Stanley Hall writes in one of his "accident books" that the track in the tunnel used to be removed long before its normal life-span had been reached and relaid somewhere else on the mainline.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 13:17:07 »

In 1999 the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) raised concerns about the state of the track in the tunnel.  http://www.gov-news.org/gov/uk/news/severn_tunnel_hse_prohibit_trains_running/46103.html

Because of the tunnel length and evacuation/rescue difficulties etc, this ought to be teh best maintained bit of track onteh whole of the GWML (Great Western Main Line).
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 15:36:53 »

It probably is - remember that a "broken rail" can cover a whole range of situations from a slight crack in the rail head to a full break. I'm just guessing but it's possible that a relatively minor flaw was found and these measures put in place to be extra careful given that it's in the tunnel.

Not like America or Canada where on remote freight lines a broken rail is apparently often only discovered when the dispatch (signalling) centre loses the track circuit because the rail's completely broken.
Toiletdriver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 15:48:35 »

In 1999 the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) raised concerns about the state of the track in the tunnel.  http://www.gov-news.org/gov/uk/news/severn_tunnel_hse_prohibit_trains_running/46103.html

Because of the tunnel length and evacuation/rescue difficulties etc, this ought to be teh best maintained bit of track onteh whole of the GWML (Great Western Main Line).

That was in Railtrack days, a lot better under Notwork Rail.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 17:32:04 »

It probably is - remember that a "broken rail" can cover a whole range of situations from a slight crack in the rail head to a full break. I'm just guessing but it's possible that a relatively minor flaw was found and these measures put in place to be extra careful given that it's in the tunnel.

Not like America or Canada where on remote freight lines a broken rail is apparently often only discovered when the dispatch (signalling) centre loses the track circuit because the rail's completely broken.

good point.  Might be more diplomatic and less aarmist for the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to talk about a "rail defect" if that is all it is
matt473

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 02:19:04 »

I was caught up in this and apparently was on one of the first few services allowed through tunnel. We were told there was a problem inside the tunnel so putting things together does suggest there was a broken line in the tunnel. No wonder there were severe delays

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 23:35:13 »

Isn't it slab track in the tunnel?
No, just normal concrete sleepers
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: