Brighton Belle withdrawn (link)

Train RunningShort Run
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 02:13:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to campaign for an Open Access Operator in The GW area  (Read 46134 times)
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2008, 21:46:50 »

I think the ungated crossings at Mollinnins, Tregoss, Haloon, Coswarth could all be removed as suitable easy road alternatives are available hence increasing line speed.

When do we get to see 2007 passenger figures?? Quintrel Downs must of plumeted (Sunnyside Campsite closed) cant remember last time picked up/ set down there. The only one I can see having gone up is Bugle as the village has expanded alot over the last couple years. I therefore strongly think FGW (First Great Western) should provide a summer Saturday service from Bugle to/from NQY (Newquay (Station)) otherwise these stations never stand a chance having no service on the most likely days for people to use it.

The first FGW HST (High Speed Train) out the branch only starts Plymouth so isnt busy arrives NQY apx 10:30. Then the last FGW service ex NQY 16:10ish should stop Bugle. Therefore summer Saturday daytrips would be available... Although passenger fiigures wouldnt go up as HST guards dont do tickets  Grin
ilowyon

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2008, 22:26:31 »

To be honest, the best and most profitable route to Newquay would have been the line from Chacewater via St Agnes and Perranporth which was closed in 1963.  Had it survived another til around August 1968, it most probably would still be open today and it would have been known as the Truro to Newquay line.  It would have served more tourist destinations (Perranporth even boasted two stations!) than the just about open Par to Newquay line and I reckon would still be making a profit.  The reason?  You would still have your school trains, one or two each way in the morning, there would be trains for shoppers and because it would have served tourist destinations, the trains would most probably have been full in the summer but thanks to Dr Beeching and chums, none of that will ever happen.  I think its time for the government to make it compulsory for all supposedly 'through' trains to run to Penzance thus increasing the traffic in Cornwall (I read a timetable last year and there were 11 trains between Penzance and Plymouth and 30 from Plymouth upwards.  How crazy is that?).  Its also time to put a lot of the freight back on the railways.  When they were going to re-open the old clay line to Wenfordbridge, it was reckoned that one train would remove 150 lorries from the road!  We need to make the most of the railways we have down here and utilise all of them more fully.  Stop building houses and roads Mr Brown and invest in the best solution to all your traffic problems, RAILWAYS.  PS Cut the fare prices while yer at it please!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 22:33:33 »

To be honest, the best and most profitable route to Newquay would have been the line from Chacewater via St Agnes and Perranporth which was closed in 1963.  Had it survived another til around August 1968, it most probably would still be open today and it would have been known as the Truro to Newquay line.  It would have served more tourist destinations (Perranporth even boasted two stations!) than the just about open Par to Newquay line and I reckon would still be making a profit.  The reason?  You would still have your school trains, one or two each way in the morning, there would be trains for shoppers and because it would have served tourist destinations, the trains would most probably have been full in the summer but thanks to Dr Beeching and chums, none of that will ever happen.  I think its time for the government to make it compulsory for all supposedly 'through' trains to run to Penzance thus increasing the traffic in Cornwall (I read a timetable last year and there were 11 trains between Penzance and Plymouth and 30 from Plymouth upwards.  How crazy is that?).  Its also time to put a lot of the freight back on the railways.  When they were going to re-open the old clay line to Wenfordbridge, it was reckoned that one train would remove 150 lorries from the road!  We need to make the most of the railways we have down here and utilise all of them more fully.  Stop building houses and roads Mr Brown and invest in the best solution to all your traffic problems, RAILWAYS.  PS Cut the fare prices while yer at it please!

Correct. But there was no chance of it surviving. Look at the Minehead branch! That was axed late (although soon preserved).

PS Welcome to the forum.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 23:14:39 »

Its also time to put a lot of the freight back on the railways.  When they were going to re-open the old clay line to Wenfordbridge, it was reckoned that one train would remove 150 lorries from the road! 

That will no longer happen after recent cut back by clay company IMERYS (Misery) and the closure of the pit totally so the 150 lorries have gone from the road  Grin However strongly agree with your freight point, what else goes by rail in Cornwall?? Train fuel to Penzance, a few wagons of scrap metal a week ex St.Blazey, and two trains of cement a week into Moorswater, wow!! This freight terminal mentioned elsewhere on here for Exeter is great news but why stop there? There was talk of one at Victoria (Roche), but am sure theres other suitable locations, Truro? Ponsandane? Government should pay companies HUGE subsidy to use rail NOT road....
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 10:45:08 »

Quote from: Lee Fletcher
I dont doubt that the request stops are relatively lightly-used. However, as a co-organiser of a campaign that opposes the closure of such stations on principle, I cant support any proposal that would see them jeopardised.

It's one thing to argue that closing that bit of line costs too much money, or causes serious hardship, or affects significant numbers of people. But to object to it purely on the principle of opposing all closures with no regard to anything else is just plain silly.

I could, perhaps, have put that a little better.

One of CANBER (Campaign Against the New Beeching Report)'s core principles is to oppose closures, but (and I think that my previous posts on both the Save The Train Forum and this one bear this out) we always put forward proper arguments as to why such lines/stations should stay open. Also, we do so in the context that their future role should be developed in an appropriate manner.

There ARE limited circumstances in which we would not oppose a closure. See our Statement Of Shared Aims (link below.)
http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2700.msg5882#msg5882

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2008, 13:19:50 »

Its also time to put a lot of the freight back on the railways.  When they were going to re-open the old clay line to Wenfordbridge, it was reckoned that one train would remove 150 lorries from the road! 

That will no longer happen after recent cut back by clay company IMERYS (Misery) and the closure of the pit totally so the 150 lorries have gone from the road  Grin However strongly agree with your freight point, what else goes by rail in Cornwall?? Train fuel to Penzance, a few wagons of scrap metal a week ex St.Blazey, and two trains of cement a week into Moorswater, wow!! This freight terminal mentioned elsewhere on here for Exeter is great news but why stop there? There was talk of one at Victoria (Roche), but am sure theres other suitable locations, Truro? Ponsandane? Government should pay companies HUGE subsidy to use rail NOT road....

Wasn't the one at Victoria/Roche linked to a project to build a waste incinerator plant?

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2008, 13:29:27 »

Wasn't the one at Victoria/Roche linked to a project to build a waste incinerator plant?

I believe that the waste incinerator will be built near Parkandillick on the end of the freight only branch.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2008, 13:52:33 »

I suppose that's good news in that it could safeguard the branch for the time being irrespective of what happens to the China Clay traffic.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2008, 21:16:11 »

If the Waste station goes ahead at Parkanddillack, frequent freight trains would mean up grading the track, makes sense to go on to St Dennis Junction and introduce Passenger trains Newquay to St Austell.

Won't happy! Does anything Sensible Rail wise come out of DfT» (Department for Transport - about).
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2008, 07:08:59 »

If the Waste station goes ahead at Parkanddillack, frequent freight trains would mean up grading the track, makes sense to go on to St Dennis Junction and introduce Passenger trains Newquay to St Austell.

Won't happy! Does anything Sensible Rail wise come out of DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

Wasn't the existing track upgraded not hat long ago to handle the modern locos? You're right about the sensible option. Anyone have any idea about what the journey time would be for Newquay-St Austell via St Dennis?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2008, 09:31:53 »

Probably take about 35 mins via St Dennis.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2008, 17:59:41 »

What would happen to Par? Would it be axed/made a "local stop?"

Although there is not much difference between local and express in Cornwall now!

Right lets CLOSE TOTNES Station, it only serves a Population of 7,500, The Whitby Branch in North Yorkshire should also go

Not good Smokey! If anything should be axed, it should be Looe!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2008, 18:04:21 »

Right lets CLOSE TOTNES Station, it only serves a Population of 7,500, The Whitby Branch in North Yorkshire should also go

Absoulte RUBBISH!

I know for a fact that many people from the Dartmouth/Torbay/Kingsbridge/South Dartmoor area ALSO use Totnes. Incase you havn't realised, Totnes is about 15 minutes away from Paignton, my house in fact, far closer and easier than using the quite frankly awful Newton Road and if I was to drive to a station would probably drive to Totnes, much like a lot of Paignton would...
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2008, 18:07:14 »

I agree (with Devon Metro). Totnes is a railhead for lot of South Devon!

Whitby services should be developed for tourists- there is potential there.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2008, 18:07:37 »

What would happen to Par? Would it be axed/made a "local stop?"

Although there is not much difference between local and express in Cornwall now!

Not good Smokey! If anything should be axed, it should be Looe!

Let's make this clear I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANY RAIL CLOSURE, but that quote about closing TOTNES was a statement that Totnes has a population of 7500, Newquay has a Population about double but the Newquay branch is always being cited for closure.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: