15:34 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 15:40:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[106] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[94] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[93] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[83] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Disabled access at Cholsey: time for a campaign!
[32] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Permit requirements for taxi drivers at railway stations  (Read 41911 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 16:04:29 »

Might be a mad idea, but couldn't the old Royal Mail depot land be used as a new car park/bus station/station approach?  A new access route into the P15 end of the subway could be made from the complex which would also alleviate the pedestrian traffic through the existing entrance and ticket gates.  If it was designed well, then buses, taxis and cars could be kept separate and out of each other's way.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 07:11:46 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Taxi drivers have staged a protest over plans to charge for a permit to allow them to pick up passengers at Bristol Temple Meads railway station

Drivers will have to pay an annual fee of about ^300 a year so they can drive to the front of the station.

They burned the permit applications they had been sent by First outside the station.

First said the front of the station was congested and that charging for permits was normal at other stations.

"At the end of the day we've got to look after our customers and we think this will give them a better experience at our station," a spokesman said.

The Bristol Taxi Association, said drivers had not paid fees at the station since 1974.

"We firmly believe this is just a money revenue-raising exercise by First", said driver Tim Lloyd.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 07:41:02 »

Interesting, was outside station last night and it was utter chaos, Buses couldnt move, you could neither enter or exit the short stay drop off car park. all for the 60 or so taxis parked up.
So prehaps permits are the answer to ensure that use of the station front is fair for all users

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 08:28:23 »

In recent months I've witnessed one slanging match and a one bout of fisticuffs between taxi drivers at Temple Meads arguing over who was where in the queue. It does seem to have become a bit silly in recent months and there would appear to be over-provision of Hackney licensed taxis serving Temple Meads. But I guess its a lucrative pick up point and the cabbies all want a slice of the pie.

What I'd like to see is an area around Temple Quay/Pipe Lane behind the Brunel trainshed developed into a public transport hub for buses, with the drop off/pick up point also located here and private cars banned from the Station Approach leaving that for licensed taxis only.

Coupled with this should be the sympathetic redevelopment of the Brunel trainshed for mixed retail use to include a new/expanded ticket hall. For a station as large and as busy as Bristol Temple Meads it is woefully under provisioned when it comes to retail outlets.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 14:10:37 »

i agree BNM.  IIUIC the signal box (Bristol Panel?) blocking the entrance to the old station will be redundant in the not too far distant future.  It would be nice to knock that down and redevelop the space. perhaps also an opportunity to add another East-facing platform or two (personally, I'd love to see local trams using the old station).

Linking the station better to both Temple Quay and the river and to the other side of the station whould be an improvement.  I'd love to see the old parcels building finally pulled down.  There is quite alot of development land that side of the station (or space to add a coupel of more through platforms).  Perhaps a new station entrance on that side would act as a catalyst to regeneration? 
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:09 »

i agree BNM.  IIUIC the signal box (Bristol Panel?) blocking the entrance to the old station will be redundant in the not too far distant future.  It would be nice to knock that down and redevelop the space. perhaps also an opportunity to add another East-facing platform or two (personally, I'd love to see local trams using the old station).

Would that be the building that has recently had expensive fencing erected around it?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 13:37:37 »

Sure there was a previous post on this with some more information but I cannot find it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 21:32:43 by ellendune » Logged
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 21:24:00 »

Before Bristol Taxi Drivers get too Hot under the collar, I'm aware that Taxi Drivers at other FGW (First Great Western) stations DO pay for a Permit to Ply for Hire at the Station they have a permit for, however I believe they are allowed to surcharge ALL journeys from the Station by 30pence.

Maybe it's the Public who should be up in arms.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 21:48:41 »

A very good point, smokey! Wink

I've therefore taken the opportunity to move and merge a couple of other topics into this one here - in the interests of continuity and clarity, as always!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 10:47:58 »

I agree Chris.. This isn't a problem at Slough though  Smiley Well not at the taxi rank anyhow  Grin which is what I have experienced

There will be problems when the work in front of the station is completed and they lose their standing bay along Station Approach by Terminal 6 (in Slough joke). Even now the work is causing huge jams in the evening when a London train pulls in with taxis, commuters from the  carparks, cars picking up and dropping off people leaving Terminal 6 all trying to get up Station Approach which is two lanes except that one lane has bus stops and usually a bus parked!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 20:13:04 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Taxi permit scheme at Bristol Temple Meads is postponed

A scheme designed to cut congestion at the taxi rank at Bristol Temple Meads railway station has been postponed to allow drivers more time to sign up.

The permit system by First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) means taxi drivers will have to pay ^375 per year to use the railway station as a base.

The National Taxi Association (NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains)) in Bristol objected but dropped its opposition after taking legal advice.

Now the dispute has been resolved, FGW has postponed the scheme until 1 March.

FGW, which owns the land at the front of the station, said the scheme would ease congestion, and that charging for permits was normal at other stations.

Part of the money raised from the permits will be used to improve the access and exit points on to the A4 from Station Approach.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 20:22:35 »

Noticed in recent weeks more than one or two Bristol hackney cabs with "Say 'No' to Temple Meads permits" posters stuck in their windows.....

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 22:29:19 »

Taxi drivers using the approach road to Bristol Temple Meads railway station will have to pay to pick up passengers.

First Great Western said the ^375 permit was needed because the front of the station was congested and charging was normal at other stations.

The National Taxi Association in Bristol (NTAB) challenged this but Bristol Civil Justice Centre ruled in favour of the rail operator.

No-one from NTAB was available to comment on the ruling.

Kevin Bartlett from First Great Western said: "We are pleased the court has clarified the policy of the permit scheme in place at Bristol Temple Meads and our motives for bringing it in.

"We look forward to putting the legal dispute behind us and to start working with the Bristol branch of the National Taxi Association, taxi drivers and other key stakeholders to improve the station environment for both our customers and taxi drivers."

Previously a NTAB spokesman said the cab drivers had not paid fees at Temple Meads since 1974 and "firmly believed" the move was just a "money revenue-raising exercise".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-22312459

I find it hard to understand the economics of the Temple Meads taxi rank; it seems to me that a lot of drivers must spend hours waiting for a fare, and supply seems to far exceed demand. Maybe this scheme will make things a bit less frenetic?

From my own viewpoint, the requirement for taxis has greatly diminished as the Severn Beach service has improved; in the unlikely event that there's no suitable train then the extended No.70 bus will do at a push.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 22:46:12 »

Agree - was in Bristol for a conference today and instructions said taxi would be ^6 to Old Market.  It would have to have been a deluge to make me take a taxi.  Was a very pleasant walk through temple quay and the back streets. Beyond temple quay though some better signing would be welcome.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 07:37:19 »

First Great Western said the ^375 permit was needed because the front of the station was congested and charging was normal at other stations.

Previously a NTAB spokesman said the cab drivers had not paid fees at Temple Meads since 1974 and "firmly believed" the move was just a "money revenue-raising exercise".

I find it hard to understand the economics of the Temple Meads taxi rank; it seems to me that a lot of drivers must spend hours waiting for a fare, and supply seems to far exceed demand. Maybe this scheme will make things a bit less frenetic?

I suspect there's a degree of truth (and a degree of selective comment) on both sides.

Just because charging is "normal" at other stations doesn't mean that it has to be applied at every station.  I could apply FGW (First Great Western)'s argument back to them and say that it's normal to provide peak hour trains and services throughout the day to and from large towns they serve, and so they should provide such services to my home town in the interest of normallity ... which they don't do.

But on the other hand, it's more that just a money-raising exercise ... it's an exercise that raises money while looking to address an issue that probably does need addressing ...

Who pays the 375 pounds in the end?   Is there a supplement on station pickup fares for taxis?   

Side question:  Is a fee payable to use the rank at Chippenham?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: