13:18 Hereford to London Paddington
Delayed
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 11:46:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[114] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[55] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[47] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[46] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[38] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[34] Broadgage unwell.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Picking up tickets without a card.......stupid *****ing system - RANT  (Read 14494 times)
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« on: February 15, 2011, 15:48:42 »

Ok, so last night I booked my ticket home without actually having my card (I have the numbers written down).

At ANY station near where I used to live, or near where I live now, there has been no issue collecting the tickets with some form of ID and the booking reference.

Discovered Paddington insist on you phoning web support to get *authorisation* added to your ticket to collect with identification.  So thats what I did to collect the ticket yesterday morning.

Now, I thought, I'll phone up to get authorisation to collect tonights home and tomorrow back with my passport - at which point I will be reunited with card and no issue.

I thought I'd be honest and say I had left it at home - no they can't give me authorisation to collect the tickets if I have forgotten it - but can if lost or stolen.  So luckily we had not got as far as my booking reference so I guess I have to wait half an hour and phone back and tell them its lost!

This is ridiculous when all the other stations just hand them out!

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 15:49:45 »

Also, in the past ive booked tickets for friends/family and they've just gone with the references to collect.

How in the name of god can you book a ticket for someone else and have them collect it under this stupid system

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 16:02:17 »

You can't.

You pick it up & mail it to them.

Called fraud prevention. Blame the crooks.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 16:03:31 »

Just phoned back - authorisation granted

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 16:04:29 »

You can't.

You pick it up & mail it to them.

Called fraud prevention. Blame the crooks.

Except I've done it in an emergency for one of my friends who was stuck in the sort of situation I could have bee stuck in on sunday - stranded with not enough cash or cards and no access to any.  Booked it online - an hour or so later, collected with the reference and her drivers licence

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 16:11:37 »

'Emergency' weas the magic word. Normally you can't.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 16:14:32 »

'Emergency' weas the magic word. Normally you can't.

And I repeat, I had had them handed out at almost every other station, including temple meads, parkway, yatton and wos, hereford etc etc

First time I knew you even had to do the phone thing was a couple of fridays ago travelling home with my mate (genuine lost card then) and had to go through the rigmarole of phoning with 20 minutes before the booked train!

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 16:23:36 »

Yes, *you* can pick them up without your card, friend's *can't*, except in an 'Emergency' situation....
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 23:31:47 »

A lot of fraud so the whole collecting without card issue is really being clamped down on now.

No station should issue it without the payment card unless the original seller has put otherwise.

Trainline/RailEasy etc.. do not intend to be used for third part transactions*

Telesales can do third party for you.

*except Trainline business.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 01:48:51 »

But does that explain why they can do it for lost/stolen but not - forgotten card!

Stupid

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 02:02:33 »

Sounds like trainline being awkward, I've not known them to reject it before.

Rail Easy however tell people to buy new tickets in my experience.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:07 »

Sounds like trainline being awkward, I've not known them to reject it before.

Rail Easy however tell people to buy new tickets in my experience.

Was the FGW (First Great Western) website help line - is that train line?  Think it was because I *forgot it* so my fault as opposed to lost/stolen which was not my fault

and I could not buy a new ticket as my fricking debit card was AWOL (Absent Without Leave) from me and without it and my drivers licence I could not cash a cheque - but if I could not get home with a ticket I had bought I could not solve the issue!

I had enough cash to get me a cuppa on the way home until I was reunited......

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 03:26:48 »

Sounds like you need to get thee a credit card and keep it in a different place from the debit card. I get airmiles and everything with mine... Plus I lucked out inexplicably at Christmas and got upgraded to Club World flying back to Blighty - bonus! The credit card was also my saviour a few years ago when an ATM(resolve) ate my debit card without reason one Friday afternoon at about 1531 (probably wasn't 1531, but it was certainly very soon after the bank having closed at 1530) and they couldn't re-issue the debit card for a week or so.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:18 »

It IS a stupid system.  Once again the TOCs (Train Operating Company) are allowing the actions of a few crooks to degrade the userbility for other customers.

I have discovered though that my wife and i who each have credit cards on the same account, can use our cards to pick up each other's tickets from the machines because they have the same card numbers on them.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 09:06:09 »

Hint - *Any* card that identifies you can pick up your tickets with the reference number - try it!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: