Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Apr (1973)
Patent award for Janney (Buckeye) coupling (*)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 03:47:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[110] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[76] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[28] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[27] access for all at Devon stations report
[17] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[14] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Not happy. First time ever purchased tickets online via FGW and I get shafted.  (Read 24191 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2011, 15:10:29 »

I have always purchased tickets either at a station, on board, or via a WebTIS booking engine such as that provided by eastcoast.co.uk.

However this week I needed to book Group Save and, not wanting to make a trip to Temple Meads specially, I decided to do it via First Great Western's website. Wanted to book early so as to increase the chance of either getting a table or at least sitting together.

I completed the transactions and got the best seating available (no tables though  Sad). On checking my account today I discover I have been debited the correct amount of ^61.80 but this has been done as two transactions, ^22.00 and ^39.80 for the two lots of tickets, despite the fact that when I purchased them they were in a 'basket' totalling ^61.80. There is also a 'hold' on my account for ^61.80, which should have been removed once the transaction(s) were complete. This 'pending authorisation' effectively leaves me ^61.80 out of pocket until the 'hold' is removed, or 'drops off the system' as my bank refer to it. Anything up to 5 working days say my bank - it's the retailer that removes the 'hold'.

This has never happened before when I've used WebTIS. Whilst the transaction may not be processed the same day, as soon as it is the 'hold' on those funds is removed. I've never experienced a transaction where the money is debited and the 'hold' remains.

My bank are certain that the retailer is responsible for removing the authorisation 'hold', but of course FGW (First Great Western)'s web support (ie thetrainline in India) say that everything is normal their end.

^61.80 is a lot of money for me to be without even if it is just for a few days. Has buggered up my budgeting. I fear being charged twice and having to go through the tortuous VISA Debit Chargeback process.

Severely p155ed off. Thanks FGW.  Roll Eyes Angry

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 15:22:15 »

I've experienced similar issues. I once booked 12 tickets for a weeks worth of travel to save having to queue in the booking office in Taunton each day.

FGW (First Great Western) debited my account for each individual ticket purchased, which when going over my bank statements, caused me some confusion. Which surely costs them a small sum in bank charges considering 6 of those tickets cost less than the magic ^5

I use Southern to book tickets and they charge me per transaction and I believe they offer groupsave discount too Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 15:35:30 »

I've checked Southern. No Group Save. None of the WebTIS based retailers offer it.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 15:38:20 »

Southern only offer something called "Super Group", which is an advance ticket that actually allows many people to travel.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 17:05:11 »

I've experienced similar issues. I once booked 12 tickets for a weeks worth of travel to save having to queue in the booking office in Taunton each day.

FGW (First Great Western) debited my account for each individual ticket purchased, which when going over my bank statements, caused me some confusion. Which surely costs them a small sum in bank charges considering 6 of those tickets cost less than the magic ^5

On a debit card, it would (they're priced per transaction); on a credit card, you're usually looking at a percentage and it would make no difference to the total fee to the card company.

I've had a hotel put a "hold" against my credit card when I checked in that had an extra "0" added to the end of it - should have been 300 pounds for a week in London but the nice folks put on a hold of 3000 pounds - resulting in some rather awkward problems when I wanted to use the card for something else.   Let's just say I was less that thrilled with them ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 18:56:04 »

My bank are certain that the retailer is responsible for removing the authorisation 'hold', but of course FGW (First Great Western)'s web support (ie thetrainline in India) say that everything is normal their end.

It won't help I'm afraid but it's the card issuer (so the bank) that are responsible for removing the hold.. Some will and some won't. I think the request would have to come from the retailer though (I know this as I've had to do it as part of my job).. The hold on the funds does usually drop off after a few days but that again varies by bank. Your bank should be able to tell you how long it'll take (if they're feeling helpful that is).

I still don't understand why they did what they did though  Smiley
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 18:58:42 »

I have had the multiple individual charges when I once booked eight tickets in one go. Ive not had the "hold" thought with FGW (First Great Western). It did happen with another online retailer and when my bank looked at it and saw there was an identical transaction for the same amount they removed the second one.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 19:43:29 »

I think (admittedly this is based on experience with my US card issuers, not in the UK (United Kingdom)) if the transaction has posted to your bank account then the hold should generally clear at midnight. If it remains there then that's an indication that they may have placed a "double hold" either due to computer error or some other kind of cock up.

Silly question but you didn't "double click" the pay button did you...?

Don't know if it's any help but there's a wikipedia article on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authorization_hold
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 20:14:38 »

I think over here it's usually 4 or 5 days (average) for the hold to be removed (assuming the amount isn't "settled" by then with the bank).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 20:43:54 »

My bank are saying it's an issue with the retailer, and the retailer is saying that they've performed the transaction correctly.

I have fingers crossed that the 'authorization' (is that an 's' or a 'z' blakey or CfN?  Tongue) will 'drop off' tonight. Still annoying though that I do not have access to the funds until the 'drop off'.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 20:50:50 »

Well yes the initial problem does lie with the retailer.. Instead of sending off authorisation requests for the two lower amounts (totalling ^61.80) they seem to have requested the ^61.80 twice.. They definitely should be able to check this out..

And if so, and if the hold is still there, they can (try and) request it be removed..

Good Luck.. In my experience, by the time you've got them to agree to do that, it'll have dropped off due to time passing anyway...

Worth an e-mail to FGW (First Great Western) maybe? They might give you compensation if nothing else..

The "holding onto funds" bit is something I really don't understand the reasoning behind (past the following morning anyway).. I've heard of examples where a computer system has got into a bit of a loop and requested the same amount (for authorisation) many many times until the card limit is reached.. Not good if the customer then has to wait several days to be able to use the card again.. even though they had enough money..
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 22:42:23 »

I think over here it's usually 4 or 5 days (average) for the hold to be removed (assuming the amount isn't "settled" by then with the bank).

It's as long as the supplier feels it's needed, up to maximum of 2 weeks ... or that's what I was told when it happened to me, for my particular supplier. My hotel stay was for a week and I as I recall they put the hold on for that time plus a couple of days.  I can't see why an online railway ticket supplier would need to do it for more than a few hours while they check back with a central point for the availability of a limited resource such as a sleeper berth.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 00:02:16 »

I doubt you would get any joy e-mailing FGW (First Great Western) - they would just refer you to FGW Web Support (AKA (also known as) - Trainline)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 14:04:59 »

Not entirely related, but i've recently had a bill from Virgin Media for my Fibre Broadband. On the bill I noticed a late payment charge... So I queried this with them because I knew there would have been funds in my account to cover the bill.

Apparently during the time I switched banks, my new bank (Santander) requested that my Direct Debit be changed to the account I had with them, and not to take it from my old bank. But someone somewhere messed u and tried to take the funds from my old bank account (Which also had sufficient funds but the DD had been cancelled by Santander). Consquently that bank said no. Neither bank informed me of this and the first I heard of it was when VM issued me a ^10 fee on my account. Angry

I have contacted them and they said it was down to my bank to sort out...! Grrr!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 14:24:26 »

Santander, say no more.  Cheesy

They blocked both my cards as I was using the card for a transaction away from home, apparently I should inform them of this!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: