Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 06:13:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[121] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[98] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[25] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[24] access for all at Devon stations report
[15] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Railways need investment, says Exeter council  (Read 9670 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2011, 22:04:50 »

From mid devon star

Exeter and the rest of the South-West must get better rail provision if it is to cope with the growth being planned over the coming years, says the city council.

The council is asking the public to support its call for improvements to Exeter's rail system

http://www.middevonstar.co.uk/news/devon_news/8884306.Railways_need_investment__says_Exeter_council/
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:09:53 »

This was also reported in the Express & Error and is illustrative of the rank hypocrisy of Exeter City Council; when the Newcourt development was being considered ECC had the opportunity to insist that a new station on the Avocet (Branch line from Exeter to Exmouth) Line, between Topsham and Digby & Sowton, be provided but utterly failed to push through what was originally listed as an essential component of the plans.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:38:10 »

They will spend millions on a footbridge over the m5  That goes nowhere, I wonder what improvements to the citys railways we could have seen for that 5 million
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:30:20 »

They will spend millions on a footbridge over the m5  That goes nowhere, I wonder what improvements to the citys railways we could have seen for that 5 million

Won't it go to the science park? (whenever they build it!) Wink

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 12:27:32 »

I'm willing to bet that bridge won't be used for years, anyway before we drift off topic I notice marsh Barton station idea has been thrown up
woody

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:03 »

Quote from that Mid-Devon Star link,^The rail network in the South-West is still stuck in a different era and we need for it to be taken into the 21st century".The recently announced Great Western main line Electrification/IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) project certainly confirms my worst fears that the South West is well off the Dft and indeed Firsts radar in the 21st century.
bambam

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 18:18:07 »

The council wouldn't just waste money on a footbridge. It will be useful for the science park. Also where did you get the 5 million figure from, because to some extent I agree, it could have been better spent.

Edit note: Quote marks amended. Chris.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 18:26:04 by chris from nailsea » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 18:29:41 »

Hi, bambam - welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

Sorry, but purely in the interests of clarity, I've made a minor amendment to the quote marks in your first post - hope this is alright.  Embarrassed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 22:36:08 »

hi there, i posted this a few months ago so forgive me for not remembering the exact details.... but im pretty sure that i saw it on the local tv new as was irritated by the cost of the thing, in the few months that have passed ive decided that i will only quote things that are online and can be linked back, and more to the point nothing off local tv news unless it is backed up by other sources.... im trying to find you proof of the cost online and struggling.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 23:21:58 »

That footbridge seems to be part of a ^5.5 million package of developments - but the bridge itself cost ^4.2 million.  From the Express & Echo:

Exeter's new M5 footbridge unveiled

Highways officials have unveiled an artist^s impression of a planned bridge across the M5 near Exeter.

The bridge, part of a ^5.5m road improvement package, will provide a pedestrian and cycle link between Gypsy Hill Lane in Monkerton and Blackhorse Lane in Clyst Honiton.

The 120 metre single span bridge will cost ^4.2m.

From southwestbusiness:

Work starts on ^4.2m M5 bridge

Alternatively, the bridge itself cost ^3.75 million.  From thisisdevon:

New ^3.75million bridge over the M5 hailed as iconic landmark

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 23:32:03 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:44 »

In all fairness it is quite a nice bridge when compared to many of the concrete bridges that cross the M5 and motorways of Britains  Wink

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 19:11:12 »

The cost will have gone up due to the extended motorway closure... was ment to reopen at 6 and finally reopened at 830, i belive the cost of a motorway closure per hour is quite high
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 20:20:46 »

The cost will have gone up due to the extended motorway closure... was ment to reopen at 6 and finally reopened at 830, i belive the cost of a motorway closure per hour is quite high

I always wonder about things like this ... who pays the extra "costs", and to whom? 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 23:19:33 »

well its more of a shared cost isn't it, but the highways agency setting up diversions the number of signs and planning that is needed is considerable, and there is the cost of peoples time getting stuck in traffic backed up on the m5 trying to get off and having to go the long way round , i cant remember the exact show or episode but im sure that on road wars or something like that they quoted a million pounds an hour but that seems extreme
bambam

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 16:55:45 »

No its fine Chris, sorry for my error.
how far would about 4 million stretch though on the railways.  I reckon you'd get only one 3 car 172 for that. or if you converted that into linespeeds about 3 or 4 minutes off.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: