Train RunningShort Run
09:23 London Paddington to Oxford
14:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 07:21:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[134] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[113] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[23] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[22] access for all at Devon stations report
[14] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[12] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock cascade of class 150s  (Read 154111 times)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2011, 09:04:57 »

looks as if porterbrook are looking into reforming the class 153 Units back into 2 Car sets to allow them to  comply with the new Disability access rules due in 2020

I must be missing something obvious here, but how does coupling two non-compliant cars together make a compliant unit?

I think it is because the reduction in capacity of a single 153 when fitted with a DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) compatible toilet and wheelchair space is too much, but by reverting to a two car unit you win back the space of the two small cabs, and then only one carriage has to have the major modifications - the other could become fully seated with its toilet removed.

So as a two car 155 the overall BCR (Benefit Cost Ratio) is totally different to that of 2 individual 153s?

Paul 

Interesting, would the cabs actually go? They could just use the space saved by not having a toilet at all in one car to replace the seats lost by having a bigger toilet in the other car. Still no word on any plans for Pacer replacment or DDA modifications for 2020 though.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2011, 16:46:52 »

Interesting, would the cabs actually go? They could just use the space saved by not having a toilet at all in one car to replace the seats lost by having a bigger toilet in the other car. Don't really know about what the small cabs replaced, when the 155s were originally converted, but presumably they took up some useful space that was otherwise unused.

I've never been in a 155 (as they are all up north) - so does anyone know how the middle of the complete 155 unit is currently fitted out?

Still no word on any plans for Pacer replacment or DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) modifications for 2020 though.

Would you seriously expect there to be?  They've got 9 years to go - even if they waited to issue an ITT (Invitation to Tender) for 3 or 4 years from now they'd still have bags of time...

Paul
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2011, 11:29:52 »

Still no word on any plans for Pacer replacment or DDA» (Disability Discrimination Act - about) modifications for 2020 though.

Would you seriously expect there to be?  They've got 9 years to go - even if they waited to issue an ITT (Invitation to Tender) for 3 or 4 years from now they'd still have bags of time...

Paul

The ROSCOs» (Rolling Stock Owning Company - about) are unwilling to buy DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) due to possibility of further electrification. If Pacers are to be replaced using new EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) rather than building new DMUs (either directly or through cascades) then plans do need to start emerging now, and of course DDA discussions for mark3 and 153 vehicles have already started.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2011, 21:28:19 »

I don't believe in posting certain items posted on other Forums without substance and which may be merely based on what somebody may state they have heard or stories that are just based on rumour.  Howeve, this would appear to be genuine in so much as The London Midland website states that the introduction of 172s in service on the Snow Hill lines will commence next week, September 5th. No details are published as to how many will be in service at the outset and the rate of introduction, but we should then expect the arrival of the 150/1s to FGW (First Great Western) as they become released.   (Note 150108 and 150126 already arrived in advance) .
Kingfisherdart

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2011, 23:17:08 »

A (usually very reliable) website, has mentioned that whilst 150108 and 150126 have arrived with FGW (First Great Western), two additional 153s will be heading this way.

Anyone shed any light on this?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2011, 23:29:49 »

I thought FGW (First Great Western) already had the 2 class 153's from London Midland which it was decided would be staying with FGW?
Kingfisherdart

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2011, 08:08:01 »

That's what I thought! But as it mentions 108 & 126 which arrived after the 153s, as well as being dated 26/08/11, made me wonder whether it was an additional 2 on top of the 2 we already have..? Website was www.thejunction.org.uk
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2011, 11:41:29 »

The two 153s just announced by DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are presumed to be the two already with FGW (First Great Western), but they could have been on temorary hire previously and yet to be officially transferred.  So the junction might just be reporting the administrative follow up, IYSWIM...

A further possibility is that it wouldn't be that unusual if those two 153s already with FGW went back and were replaced by a different pair.

Whereas the original 9 ex LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 150s have apparently already been 'transferred' to FGW even though only two have arrived, i.e. the reverse is the case with the 150s...   Then there's the two more 150s due as part of the recent allocation, so although 9 have been transferred, there are still 9 to arrive, so it's easy to see how reports get muddled...

Paul
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2011, 15:13:34 »

Interesting, would the cabs actually go? They could just use the space saved by not having a toilet at all in one car to replace the seats lost by having a bigger toilet in the other car. Don't really know about what the small cabs replaced, when the 155s were originally converted, but presumably they took up some useful space that was otherwise unused.

I've never been in a 155 (as they are all up north) - so does anyone know how the middle of the complete 155 unit is currently fitted out?

Most of the space on 155's is used for luggage / package storing shelves. The 155 only have 1 toilet, the space in the other coach is a stand up bike store. The only loss of seating must be in that coach where a toilet is placed where the bike store was. Since the mini drivers cab is in the parcel space at the end of vehicle it is no wonder that it is tiny. Therefore I suspect that these cabs would not be removed should they be reformed into 155's, perhaps just closed off?

Edited in an attempt to unmangle use of the 'quote' function - this required some educated guesswork on my part, hopefully it hasn't altered the meaning of what the poster intended.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 16:07:21 by inspector_blakey » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2011, 15:46:50 »

AIUI (as I understand it), they could keep non-compliant vechicles in traffic anyway if the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) grants a derrogation.
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2011, 16:35:23 »

Thanks I B.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2011, 20:26:25 »

AIUI (as I understand it), they could keep non-compliant vechicles in traffic anyway if the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) grants a derrogation.

I'm not sure they can derogate after 2020 can they? They will finally have to be compliant....
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:02 »

Yes i think they have to be made compliant and if tehy cant they have to be withdrawn and replaced, probably one of the reasons why the valley lines look like they are going to be wired. Also has another advantage of freing up some class 150's perhaps some could be sent down to west wales and some to Northern or FGW (First Great Western)
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2011, 13:28:47 »

For Pacers to be DDA compliant the following needs to happen:

1. Removal of the double step or all station platforms in Pacer areas rebuilt to the same height and a minimum width to avoid any ramp issues.  The latter would require compulsory land order purchases to make platforms wider in some cases e.g. at Guide Bridge station.
2. New DDA toilet at either front or rear of train (due to door layout) or Pacers to have no toilets and to be kept for short routes only.  The latter would require a number of Pacers to be cascaded away from North West England which has too many Pacers to keep them only on short services.
3. New doors that are strong enough to deal with a wheelchair crashing in to them.  Also new door controls.
4. Replacement seats on most 142s as the bus bench seats are too low down to comply.
5. New larger, brighter destination displays and on board PIS (Passenger Information System).

The cost would run in to hundreds of millions, so it isn't economically viable to do.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2011, 13:34:32 »

It was decided that transport needed until the end of 2019 to be fully accessible in the mid 1990s.  DfT can't just say 20 years later that wasn't enough time, they needed to say that years ago if it was the case.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: