Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
19:44 Swindon to London Paddington
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:26:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock cascade of class 150s  (Read 154098 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2011, 13:20:06 »

Might just be possible that the arrangment could be ending this week. hopefully the class 121 will also work so that another pacer doesnt have to be used to cover
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2011, 15:45:53 »

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) still seem to have 150s to spare without these two depuising for 158s and even 175s.    The 121 is usually replaced by a 153 if not available although some times a Pacer.     
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2011, 15:53:34 »

I have read on wnxx about some drivers suggesting to take 1 of the class 142's in London Paddington as part of a farewell tour. I would  like to see the looks on people faces as a pacer turns up at Paddington
Round about 1998 and over the turn of that decade Wales and West used to run a 21 25 Cardiff to Paddington and returning at 01 45 via Bath.  FGW (First Great Western) (or their equivalent at that time) had withdrawn the service so Wales and West decided to bid for the gap in the days before DFT (Department for Transport) micro-managing.   It was booked to be worked by a 158 and proved quite popular until the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) put an end to it.     Now for the punch line !!!   One night due to non-availability of a 158, it was worked by a 143 and kept time !!!  It was also worked by a 150/2 on a very rare occasion.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2011, 16:40:41 »

I have read on wnxx about some drivers suggesting to take 1 of the class 142's in London Paddington as part of a farewell tour. I would  like to see the looks on people faces as a pacer turns up at Paddington

It's been suggested before: see http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/chris64ex4/Rail%20odds-sods/142030ExeterWestYard10-06-2008.jpg  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2011, 17:20:59 »

ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) still seem to have 150s to spare without these two depuising for 158s and even 175s.    The 121 is usually replaced by a 153 if not available although some times a Pacer.     
Since posting have learnt 150282 loaned by ATW to Northern Rail so that proves the point, I think, of their availability.
northwesterntrains

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2011, 13:39:20 »

Since posting have learnt 150282 loaned by ATW to Northern Rail so that proves the point, I think, of their availability.

There's a heated debate going on another forum now about North Wales having surplus capacity outside the peak summer season, while the North West seems to have a peak season all year because as soon as one event/season finishes, another starts, so there's always some lines that need more than the bog standard 2-3 carriages.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2011, 20:53:23 »

Reported 150102 now arrived at the Marsh and 150101 out in traffic today but have no details of it's work
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2011, 19:00:48 »

I would prefer it to be definite information rather than a quote on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum but it appears that 150202 and 150214 are being prepared at Tyseley for transfer to FGW (First Great Western).    They are being reformed after being split to form middle cars in 150/0s to turn them into 3 Car Units and with through access between each coach.   I have read of a suggestion that the Driving Controls had been removed from the cabs as being redundant at that time so a process of re-fitting will have to be carried out.
I am aware that the ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) daily hires have finished but can anybody confirm if the SWT (South West Trains) 158 is still used on the afternoon Brighton diagram.     If still in use on FGW, my hunch is that it will remain until conditions are right for the 2 Car 158s to be formed into 3 Car Sets and provide 3 Cars on the Brighton.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #203 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:06 »

Round about 1998 and over the turn of that decade Wales and West used to run a 21 25 Cardiff to Paddington and returning at 01 45 via Bath.  FGW (First Great Western) (or their equivalent at that time) had withdrawn the service so Wales and West decided to bid for the gap in the days before DFT (Department for Transport) micro-managing.   It was booked to be worked by a 158 and proved quite popular until the SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) put an end to it.     Now for the punch line !!!   One night due to non-availability of a 158, it was worked by a 143 and kept time !!!  It was also worked by a 150/2 on a very rare occasion.
Did the Pacer actually get to Paddington?

I know one made it to Reading, as per this uk.railway posting:
At one stage the train out of Waterloo was the return working of a train from Pembroke Dock. Once a Pacer was allocated to the diagram - fortunately it was cancelled at Reading (though even Pembroke Dock to Reading all night in a Pacer isn't my idea of fun). If it had managed to get on to Southern metals someone would probably have stopped and red carded it for having lost half its wheels. ;-)
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #204 on: September 19, 2011, 15:50:55 »

Yes, the 143 reached Paddington
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2011, 19:35:07 »

Thought it went to Waterloo not Pad?
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2011, 19:46:30 »

To Paddington.    How I am be so certain as the train (21 25 ex Cardiff) replaced an FGW (First Great Western) train to Paddington which had been withdrawn.Could not have gone to Waterloo as Pacers are prohibited from 3rd Rail
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2011, 20:03:26 »

Could not have gone to Waterloo as Pacers are prohibited from 3rd Rail

'Tis a myth. They run in service every day over the 3rd rail in Merseyside. Similarly they ran to Eastleigh for refurb not that long ago.
phile

View Profile Email
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2011, 20:35:39 »

It was Railtrack Southern at the time who were apprehensive of them.    Ther also banned them on their patch altogether because they were afraid of them being too light weight to operate Track Circuits and not show up in Signal boxes.   Thar is why they are not allowed beyond Warminster for example.    Other TOCs (Train Operating Company) were not so apprehensive.     Special dispensation was obtained for them to go to Eastleigh
Apologies.   I shpuld have said Railtrack Zones not TOCs
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 13:02:24 by phile » Logged
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2011, 23:09:13 »

can anybody confirm if the SWT (South West Trains) 158 is still used on the afternoon Brighton diagram.

Yes, it's still used... I had the pleasure of sitting in declassified First Class Seating and a nice cup of coffee onboard last week Wink Grin Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30
  Print  

Jump to: