26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 21:59:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm leaving the West  (Read 7852 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2011, 19:16:27 »

Bit of a sad week coming up, as I'm currently packing boxes to move house on a week Tuesday.  I've been in Bristol for just short of three years and very much enjoyed my time here.

I will be moving back in with my parents (north of Portsmouth) for a few months before (hopefully) moving up to London in September where I've been offered a place on a Master's degree.

With regards to travelling with FGW (First Great Western), I'll be making at least 10 return journeys between Cosham and Bristol before June (hence my post asking about carnet tickets).  After this, it'll be quite unlikely that I'll need to travel with FGW in the near future on anything but a very irregular basis Embarrassed

Since first using FGW in the summer of 2008, they have improved at an incredible pace.  The customer service is now very good and services are only cut short as a last resort.

I have also seen the Severn Beach Line grow.  When I first moved here, I counted a maximum of 12 people on a train.  Over the last year, I've seen almost full trains at similar times to those I travelled on previously.  With Bristol's roads being particularly bad, I can see how this line (and community rail services elsewhere) are very beneficial to people living nearby.

The Coffee Shop forum has made me feel like more than "just a passenger".  The help and advice provided here has been second to none.  Informative news posts have also kept me up to date with the latest developments.  Thank you to Graham and the rest of the team for keeping the site a friendly place.

I want to wish everyone on here good luck with improving/maintaining the service at their local station(s) and will make sure I pop in regularly to maintain my knowledge.

Take a look in "The Lighter Side" for a traditional photo quiz from my time here.

Tongue
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 19:59:53 »

Wow!  Thanks very much for that heartfelt post, Brucey!

Best wishes for the future, from all of us - and please do keep logging in to the forum here!

Regards,

Chris.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 20:09:39 »

The very best of luck in the future Brucey!

Your help and assistance, particularly when offering fares advice to others has been most welcome.

Please do keep your hand in on the forum when you're not too busy doing your Masters. Can I ask what you are studying?

Finally, I'm regularly in that London so maybe one day we could hook up for an ale or two once you've found a decent 'local'!!! I've managed never to bump into you on the Severn Beach Line!

Best wishes,

bignosemac.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 20:14:40 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 22:15:39 »

Can I ask what you are studying?
At the moment, I'm studying BSc Biochemistry.  Subject to my exam results at Bristol, I'll be doing a MSc in Bioinformatics (which in one short sentence is basically the application of computer science and maths to biological problems) Cool

Finally, I'm regularly in that London so maybe one day we could hook up for an ale or two once you've found a decent 'local'!!! I've managed never to bump into you on the Severn Beach Line!
Yes, that'd be good.  Its a shame that I've not met anyone from the Coffee Shop in "real life" - my schedule has been very busy during the previous meets!  I am looking at living in South (or South West) London somewhere, so commuting into Kensington won't be too much fuss and travelling "home" to Pompey will be easier.

There is one thing that I must do before I leave Bristol: travel between Avonmouth and Severn Beach by train.  I've been meaning to do this for months but not managed it.  I might try to fit this in on Saturday, if I can find time.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 22:21:11 »

Maybe it's time for a Coffee shop meet up in London then at some point... Grin
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 22:27:34 »

I reckon if we do it should be in Victoria, then we can all go and see Wicked Tongue
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 22:42:25 »

I reckon if we do it should be in Victoria, then we can all go and see Wicked Tongue

Seen it  Roll Eyes Tongue
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 23:02:12 »

Brucey, we'll be sad to see you less often ... and happy to see you occasionally.   I'm up for a meetup in Victoria ... that would be back on home territory for me.  Platform 3 or 4 for the Orpington train calling at Brixton, Herne Hill ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 23:03:13 »

Yeah me too Jo

Actually what I am really going to want to see is Les Mis once Matt Lucas and Alfie Boe have joined the cast.

But that's a bit off topic so Brucey I wish you well, and yeah drink in London be good Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 00:35:55 »

There is one thing that I must do before I leave Bristol: travel between Avonmouth and Severn Beach by train.  I've been meaning to do this for months but not managed it.  I might try to fit this in on Saturday, if I can find time.

Well, if you're able to make it, Brucey, I'd be delighted to join you, for that particular treat!  Grin

Options for me will be the 1116, 1316, or 1516 from Bristol Temple Meads - I can't make it any earlier, as I'll be working at Bristol Parkway.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 14:07:06 »

I'm just trying to rearrange some things on Saturday to fit this in - will let you know tomorrow Chris if I'll be able to make it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 17:13:11 »

Fair enough, Brucey - and thanks!

No need to break your neck trying to make arrangements - though it would be great if we could also get bignosemac along, too!

CfN  Grin

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 17:50:20 »

Unfortunately, bignosemac is busy this Saturday. He's meeting the GFs (Ground Frame) parents.

<gulp>

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 17:57:30 »

Good luck with that, bignosemac!  Roll Eyes

Travelling on the Severn Beach line is only done properly if one is on an HST (High Speed Train), of course ...  Grin

Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 23:28:09 »

I'm clear with nothing on saturday so can join the fun! well as much funs as severan beach line is - beats flat cleaning

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: