17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 04:54:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Penzance to Plymouth-branch line or main line?  (Read 10051 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2011, 18:34:35 »

Dropped off my son at Plymouth station this afternoon to catch the 1615 Plymouth to Penzance back to Redruth.What are we greeted with,2x153s full and standing with the next Penzance train not until 1800 and this on a Saturday as well when hoardes of Cornish day trippers to Plymouth regularly start returning home.West of Exeter FGW (First Great Western) are in danger of becoming an absolute joke.
 Once again I say "Penzance to Plymouth-branch line or main line?"
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 18:58:55 »

could be worse could be a single 153  Cheesy, watch this and tell me if things have got better in the last 20 years
... im not sure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CCCKoo42pM
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 20:50:11 »

Dropped off my son at Plymouth station this afternoon to catch the 1615 Plymouth to Penzance back to Redruth.What are we greeted with,2x153s full and standing with the next Penzance train not until 1800 and this on a Saturday as well when hoardes of Cornish day trippers to Plymouth regularly start returning home.West of Exeter FGW (First Great Western) are in danger of becoming an absolute joke in the eyes of 'woody'
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 21:01:44 »

They did invest in doubling part of the line in Cornwall recently but there certainly is a bit of a branch line feel sometimes west of the Royal Albert Bridge. Although I usually only get that far on a long distance train I've noticed the catering can be a bit patchy after Plymouth which is frustrating with two hours still to go to Penzance.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 21:15:59 »

Ah, the days of being able to open the door before coming to a halt!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 22:23:59 »

i noticed that they were even doing that on mk 2's
woody

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 00:39:34 »

Dropped off my son at Plymouth station this afternoon to catch the 1615 Plymouth to Penzance back to Redruth.What are we greeted with,2x153s full and standing with the next Penzance train not until 1800 and this on a Saturday as well when hoardes of Cornish day trippers to Plymouth regularly start returning home.West of Exeter FGW (First Great Western) are in danger of becoming an absolute joke in the eyes of 'woody'
Not just "in the eyes of Woody" mate I can assure you.Neither First nor Great was an expression Andrew Lloyd Webber once used to describe FGW.My remarks though are not aimed at FGW who in general have to make the best of a bad job,but rather the Dft which effectively runs our psuodo-privatised railway to the detriment of both taxpayer and passenger.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 03:01:16 »

i noticed that they were even doing that on mk 2's

Prior to secondary door locking being installed on the mark 2 fleet! It was a retro-fit in the early 1990s on both mark 2 and 3 stock.

Neither First nor Great was an expression Andrew Lloyd Webber once used to describe FGW (First Great Western).

Gosh, it must have taken him a while to come up with a sound bite that witty and original.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 15:45:07 »

Woody says:

I thinkl that's the problem DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) have got they don't know either.

As he also says: My remarks though are not aimed at FGW (First Great Western) who in general have to make the best of a bad job,but rather the Dft which effectively runs our psuodo-privatised railway to the detriment of both taxpayer and passenger.

On the one hand they want mainline services (from London) so they can get to their holiday cottages and their teenage children get to Newquay without being driven, but vaguely recognise that quite a lot of Cornish people seem to "like" travelling by train locally or at least no further than Plymouth.

Hence their dilemma ideally you would have an hourly fast and an hourly all (most) stations following it. Not sure how the timings work but i asumme that the stopper if it left 5 minutes after the fast (connection from London) could get to Penzance before the next fast. I any hour where there is isn't a London XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) then perhaps a semifast serving more stations than the fast. Thus major stations would get 2 tph except the odd hour when they got 1 minor staions would get 1 tph unless they were very minor when ther might be 2 gap if semi doesn't stop.

However my plan would require too much stock and be considered a gross over provision. Better to underprovide and make money.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 22:02:26 »

Penzance-Plymouth really does need to be half hourly, it is a very busy line, even Truro-Plymouth would be a start!

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 23:32:35 »

i don't believe frequency was the issue but capacity making every other hst none stop between penzance and plymouth and putting in a two hourly loco hauled plym to penzance stopping service would add faster london services from penzance and more capacity and better links for local shacks, it would also free up units for elsewhere

then again how much more could that line take capacity wise
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 23:46:31 »

I've only travelled that way once, but when Ollie and I did our 'Cornwall branch line bash' to Falmouth, we were impressed with the loadings on the HSTs (High Speed Train) into and out of Cornwall beyond Plymouth.

I don't have an answer: I merely offer this observation.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 23:51:51 »

I've only travelled that way once, but when Ollie and I did our 'Cornwall branch line bash' to Falmouth, we were impressed with the loadings on the HSTs (High Speed Train) into and out of Cornwall beyond Plymouth.

I don't have an answer: I merely offer this observation.  Lips sealed
Branch line bash in the sense that we only did one Tongue

But yeah I would agree with Chris, the HST (both ways) had enough space to accomodate people.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 23:52:30 »

its a well used service but lets be honest its a very long journey and should at the very least have a trolly for coffee, i realise that when i did it that i did it out of choice and not because i had to travel down there but exeter to penzance on a 150 is not fun and even on a hst it seems to take forever  
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 19:59:46 »

i don't believe frequency was the issue but capacity making every other hst none stop between penzance and plymouth and putting in a two hourly loco hauled plym to penzance stopping service would add faster london services from penzance and more capacity and better links for local shacks, it would also free up units for elsewhere

then again how much more could that line take capacity wise
Non stop Ply-Pnz? pointless, would at least need a Truro stop as Truro's footfall is over double that of Pnz!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: