Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 04:55 26 Apr 2024
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 04:58:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: FGW Customer Panel - vacancies / minutes (merged topics)  (Read 27773 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 21:51:38 »

What a patronising reply that will only get the customers who this panel is supposed to be set up for rather annoyed. How do I know because I am a FGW (First Great Western) customer!

This is not a step forward its a step back to keeping customers informed which Andrew Haines put much effort into when he was MD which made such a refreshing change. FGW appear to be going back into their shell again when it comes to communicating with the people who use their services. When was the last 'news' item to appear on their website? Ah yes 22nd of November!

Gosh FGW hardly bother to update their website as it is with news items and press releases. The one thing that was good on it was the providing of the previously excellent minutes to let everyone know what was going on in FGW land. There was nothing in those minutes that I could see that was commercially sensitive. Its not as if FGW have competition when it comes to running trains in the West. The M4 is a road not a company.

Come on FGW you can do better than this.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 13:22:26 »

Thanks John R for posting that. I had also emailed the CP asking about this.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26:48 »

I too have emailed the panel with regard to the minutes (more like seconds!), but I note that it is impossible to contact my representative directly. All correspondence goes through FGW (First Great Western). As we have seen with the response JohnR got, FGW will reply directly if they so choose, effectively cutting contact with your panel member. So it would appear that Customer Panel members are not there as a conduit to FGW.

The latest minutes provide no useful information to customers whatsoever. The excuses given about commercial sensitivity don't wash - I've seen nothing in previous minutes that was of use to a competitor.

The CP is supposed to be there to represent passengers views, and if those views are going to be ignored or filtered out before they even get to the individual panel member then there is little point to the panel.

A representative body for customers should be independent of the service provider and not be their puppets.

I suggest that any FGW customer who has an issue that isn't resolved by Customer Services not to bother with the Customer Panel. Instead, raise your issue with Passenger Focus.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 08:30:07 »

So they're not hiding anything, but 'a large amount of what is discussed..... is commercially sensitive'.

Why not just publish the minutes and redact the commercially sensitive bits?

"Commercially Sensitive" really bugs me. Most of what we are talking about is our money either paid directly through fares or indirectly by taxes.

What has happened to open Government? if we don't know how a heavily subsidised indusrty is spending our money how can we know they are not ripping us off?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 16:36:56 »

Sorry, I have only just discovered this thread - usually, I get an email every time a thread is started. It didn't happen this time.

I too have emailed the panel with regard to the minutes (more like seconds!), but I note that it is impossible to contact my representative directly. All correspondence goes through FGW (First Great Western). As we have seen with the response JohnR got, FGW will reply directly if they so choose, effectively cutting contact with your panel member.

We do get advised of each contact made through the Panel inbox and the contents of the enquiry. FGW do then choose as to who answers it - but even if the Panel member doesn't get to answer it, we all see the FGW response. WE all get a monthly report, and if we get to answer / follow up a specific query, then it comes direct & pretty immediate. The Panel member can choose to answer it in their own words or via FGW Customer Services.

So it would appear that Customer Panel members are not there as a conduit to FGW.

Yes we are & we're fiercely independent too. I do believe that you can ask who you're Panel member is, and request your comminication be passed to them. Only if it refers to a staff issue will it be witheld for internal investigation - but we still get told it hass arrived.

The latest minutes provide no useful information to customers whatsoever.

I did make that submission.

The CP is supposed to be there to represent passengers views, and if those views are going to be ignored or filtered out before they even get to the individual panel member then there is little point to the panel.

See above. In my experience of other Panels, this is one of the best. We get pretty much unfettered direct access to the vast mahority of high-level management, as and when we want, to discuss matters that are customer-oriented. I regularly discuss matters as & when & how I want to. It represents the customer.

A representative body for customers should be independent of the service provider and not be their puppets.

I am happy that I am no puppet. I wouldn't waste my time with FGW otherwise.

I suggest that any FGW customer who has an issue that isn't resolved by Customer Services not to bother with the Customer Panel. Instead, raise your issue with Passenger Focus.

And unless it's major, or a regular complaint, you'll get far better attention coming to us. That's a guarantee. And yes, we've been known to involve PF (Penalty Fare) if we feel it's serios enough.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 20:27:28 »

Thanks for those detailed replies, Chris.  I'm sure many of us would like to thank you and your fellow panel members for the hard work you no doubt put in.  The minutes were clearly very useful to many on here though, so hopefully your submission will be heard.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 23:49:04 »

Yes, thanks indeed, ChrisB.

In view of the interest that has been shown in this particular subject, I've taken the opportunity to merge some historic topics with this one - purely for completeness and continuity.

I hope this helps.

Chris.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 08:42:27 »

Thanks ChrisB for the response.

No email acknowledgement or response from FGW (First Great Western) as yet.

Ian
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 10:49:01 »

Having not read the CP minutes for a while since the revamp of the FGW (First Great Western) website, I strayed into its depths this morning and notice that while the Sept 2011 minutes are still useless, the Jan 2012 minutes are back to the more detailed information, I wonder if this is a real change of policy or somebody simply put up the wrong version (previous doc files were labelled website version)?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 11:33:03 »

Panel members requested more meaningful minutes be placed on the web....we do lusten to our fellow customers!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 19:09:11 »

Panel members requested more meaningful minutes be placed on the web....we do lusten to our fellow customers!
And it's very much appreciated Chris.
IanL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 20:16:53 »

Thanks Chris, Seeing the questions and replies does make a difference.

However it is a year since I emailed FGW (First Great Western) (as mentioned in the post dated March 2011) and have still had no reply!

Ian
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 20:41:58 »

Progress, of sorts, at last. It's taken a fair while for FGW (First Great Western) and the CP to address the issue of the minutes. Thanks for your update ChrisB.

Personally, I feel that more could still be included. I'm not party to these meetings and have no idea how long they last, but two pages of A4 still seems a little sparse. And why the lack of names? Customer Panel member (who?) asks. FGW/Network Rail/DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (who?) responds....

Still not easy to find on the FGW website, so for the benefit of all, here's the links to the most recent minutes:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/About%20us/customer%20panel/Customer%20Panel%20London%20%20Cotsworld%20meeting%20minutes%2018%20January%202012.pdf

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/About%20us/customer%20panel/Customer%20Panel%20West%20meeting%20minutes%2025%20January%202012.pdf

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 20:48:06 »

And the May minutes ought to go up soon - I'll mention it....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 13:04:16 »

Two months since the last Customer Panel meetings. No minutes posted on the website yet......

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: