Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningDelayed
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 23:10:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[138] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[118] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[42] access for all at Devon stations report
[27] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[22] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Email replies from FGW?  (Read 9527 times)
standardsingle

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:27:45 »

Hi just a quick query about emailing FGW (First Great Western).

Should I always expect an autoresponse with a reference when I email them on the email address they give, fgwfeedback[at]firstgroup.com?

I emailed them once last week and got an autoresponse within two minutes with a case reference number.   When I emailed them twice this weekend I got no autoresponse to either email, so I am wondering if that is normal?

I need to resolve something with them soon, so if email is not working I need to know.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:46 »

Five working days for a response from a human is FGW (First Great Western)'s target, but the don't always hit that. So if you emailed (say) Monday last week you would only just be at five working days today.

If the matter is of some urgency then you can of course call Customer Services on 08457 000 125 or              01752 675640.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
standardsingle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:40 »

Hi thanks for the info.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to whether you get confirmation of an email sent to FGW (First Great Western).  I resent my two emails, and one got a confirmation, one did not, and trying again with different IPs or different email addresses also got no confirmation.  So I don't know if their system is overloaded, malfunctioning, filtering by IP, filtering by keyword, filtering by email address or name, or just plain rubbish.

Trading Standards told me to write them Recorded Delivery and suggested talking to Passenger Focus, an entity I'd never heard of.   Passenger Focus turned out to be irrelevant but told me two useful facts.   Customer service phone calls to rail companies seem to get little response, whereas written complaints are handled by a different, dedicated team who are supposed to take it seriously.   Secondly, Passenger Focus told me typical written response time in reality would be about 20 days.

Weirdly, Passenger Focus are not proactive.   They say they can't just send FGW or the Trainline a constructive email highlighting a general issue on the website that could be improved to avoid future aggravation.   They have to wait till a customer has had a complaint rejected by a rail company before they can do whatever they do, or don't do.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:27:09 by standardsingle » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 20:29:14 »

Standardsingle ... you inspired me to come up with a list of all the possible people you could ask / complain / report things too and I had no less that 22 on my list. Some of them would be horrified to be included (preferring not to speak with passengers directly), some of them are for very particular types of issues, and some are very limited in what they can do.

ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships)
ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here)
BTP (British Transport Police)
Booking Office / Enquiry Office
DfT» (Department for Transport - about)
Fellow Passengers
First, Plymouth
Immediate Rail Staff
Information desks
Local Rail User's Group
Manager at Plymouth
National Rail
Network Rail
ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)
Passenger Focus
Press and media
The Coffee Shop and other fora
Tourist Information
Travel Agent
Your Customer Panel member
Your MP (Member of Parliament)
Your subsidising authority

And then I read back though you message and found you had Yet Another - Trading Standards.

I'm not sure that "rights and redress" is quite the place to put it - but would a sticky thread be useful to let people know which of these various bodies is best for what topic, and how to get in touch with each?   Do I see any volunteers to start such a thread?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:18:48 »

And then I read back though you message and found you had Yet Another - Trading Standards.

I'm afraid Trading Standards are no longer interested in 'Trading Standards' for the consumer. You now have to call Consumer Direct, following recent experience.

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/businesssupportandadvice/tradingstandards.htm

Trading standards
Welcome to Wiltshire Trading Standards Service home page. We are here to protect the interests of Wiltshire consumers and businesses.

This website is part of our service to our traders and residents but you are free to browse this site no matter where you live.
Please note: We now have a new number for ALL consumer advice calls. Please ring Consumer Direct on 08454 040506. This helpline is open from 8am until 6.30pm Monday to Friday and from 9am until 1pm on Saturday.

Consumer Direct

Consumer Direct is the national helpline and online service providing clear and practical consumer advice. The service is managed by the OFT and delivered in partnership with local authority Trading Standards Services. Should you need help and advice please contact Consumer Direct by calling 08454 04 05 06 or through the website www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

standardsingle

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:13 »

I'm not sure that "rights and redress" is quite the place to put it - but would a sticky thread be useful to let people know which of these various bodies is best for what topic, and how to get in touch with each?   Do I see any volunteers to start such a thread?

Super idea, this is a very confusing and frustrating field.  Maybe if you just start the thread as people add to it the original post can be updated with contact details for these entitities?   It could help to hear people's feedback on how useful or receptive these entities are.

Yes, Trading Standards are passing themselves off as Consumer Direct now, but everyone still calls them Trading Standards, not least of all because that is what they actually do, apply and enforce Standards.   I have found them very helpful.  Usually in the first instance they advise you of your rights and tell you to write to the company CEO (Chief Executive Officer) raising the exact issue, or category of issue, that Trading Standards have identified for you.

Also, on the original topic of this thread, I did ultimately get replies by email to each issue I raised by email with FGW (First Great Western), but sometimes several days later, and often without any initial acknowledgement of receipt of my email to them.   So if it is serious, do what Trading Standards advised, write a physical letter to the CEO and send it Recorded Delivery (costs just ^1.40 at time of writing).

Also, advertising on websites is, from March of this year, covered by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and it is free to complain to them, you just send them evidence of the advertising and state what you think is the problem with it, but the response is not likely to be rapid.   But it can lead to ads being modified and a judgement against the advertiser being made public for all to see.

standardsingle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:15:14 »

Just a PS, for more discussion of Trading Standards and so on, see this other thread:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=8620.0

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: