16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 15:37:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[106] access for all at Devon stations report
[45] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[28] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[5] Cornish delays

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Weekend Upgrade complimentary snacks  (Read 17496 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« on: September 25, 2011, 18:34:50 »

Upgraded to the Weekend First today on a service from Reading to Truro. When i went to the buffet to get a drink and crisps, i was told by the buffet staff that crisps werent a complimentary option. Anyone able to verify this, as FGW (First Great Western) website states,
Weekend First customers may benefit from the extra comfort that First Class accommodation offers, including complimentary refreshments of hot drinks, mineral waters, biscuits and crisps

EDIT I've deleted the exact service to  prevent staff identification!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 18:46:38 »

Aah, this one rears its ugly head again! Lost track of exactly what FGW (First Great Western)'s weekend first offering is, but I think the problem probably arises because there are two different "streams" of products in the buffet - the complimentary stuff, which doesn't have to be accounted for, and the "saleable" stuff which does. The steward can't just have you a bag of crisps from the items on display because they are for sale only, but they should (?) have complimentary bags they can hand out. Sure I've had them before.

In my experience what you get offered for weekend first complimentaries varies hugely depending on the buffet crew. Some have been almost begging me to take more items away from the buffet (including stuff I never new was available because it's not advertised) and other time I've virtually had to crow-bar a pack of biscuits out of them. It really would be nice if FGW could make the weekend first complimentary items clearly advertised (at the buffet counter, even) and then make sure that a consistent level of service is provided.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 20:31:42 »

Yes they do offer Crisps on Complimentary WF.

AFAIK (as far as I know) the only thing that isn't available on a weekend is Fruit.

But quite often I am able to pick up: Nuts, Crisps, Fruitcake, Fruit (Weekday only), Danish Pastries, Olives (Yuck), Granola Square thingys and they did have those Frusli Bars but I haven't seen those in a while. My particular favourite was the Apple and Cranberry one (But would settle for Blueberry Wink )

I'm not sure if the fruit juices are available at weekends though. I have seen people ask for orange juice and get given the whole carton, served in a Tea/Coffee cup with lid, or be told they don't have it.

Now I no longer work in a 9 2 5 job, I travel mainly during the week to visit clients rather than weekends.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:53:47 »

Not sure about the crisps. As the website advertises them, I will raise it next time I pass through the hallowed depot portals.

Deffo no fruitcake, fruit, yoghurt based snacks or newspapers for that matter.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:36:20 »

One of our friendly Cotswold Line train managers often offers us freeby snacks (Muffins) on late evening services when the train is on its last run of the day. When asked if it was OK for him to give them away, he said once "but they will only be thrown away as they will be "out of date" by tomorrow".
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 16:07:30 »

I was under the impression that it was tea, hot chocolate, coffee, bottled water and biscuits!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 18:59:53 »

I was under the impression that it was tea, hot chocolate, coffee, bottled water and biscuits!

This is very true... IF you're not a regular FC(resolve) passenger.

There is a saying in this... "If you don't ask, you don't get!" It's as simple as that really, because when I travel FC at weekends, If I ask for peanuts etc, they are given to me. If I don't I get biscuits instead. (But thetrout being the picky and perfectionist he is, will only accept Shortbread Shocked Roll Eyes Wink )

As I said in my other post, I know they don't have fruit on the weekends (Although you can get fruit in Paddington First Class Lounge on weekends AFAIK (as far as I know)) I also don't think they have the danish pastries on weekends.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 19:36:20 »

I emailed fgw just to query the policy, and they responded very detailed, saying it varies dependent on the service. They said I wasnt entitled to compensation, which I didn't want, as i feel the 20 upgrade is a good fare just to sit in the first class carriages in Extra comfort. However there was a travel voucher enclosed for a future journey in thanks for my comments. I only emailed just for future knowledge on entitlement.

Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 21:37:29 »

Snippy snip snip

However there was a travel voucher enclosed for a future journey in thanks for my comments. I only emailed just for future knowledge on entitlement.

A likely story. Shocked
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 23:01:25 »

an extract from the letter explaining how the complimentary products work, my only comments could be perhaps they write on the advertisment the snacks are "whilst stocks last". It may already say this though.

There may be a simple explanation - such as the complimentary stock of crisps running out and only normal stock remaining. In such circumstances, our Buffet crew wouldn't be able to offer complimentary items from the normal type of catering stock.  I realise that it may sometimes seem as if the easy option would be to supply alternatives from the other goods we have on the train, but our very strict audit regulations make this impossible. Each buffet car has a specific amount of complimentary items that are not for sale. It also has its own specific stock for sale, which is not to be given away. So if we run out of items for sale we can't introduce items from the complimentary goods, and we can't top up complimentary goods with sale items. But, if this were the case, we'd certainly expect our Buffet staff at least to explain this in a polite and customer-focused way. So, we treat what you've reported with the utmost concern. The complimentary items are provided on a discretionary basis, being provided when-and-where they can, but not being inherent within the actual ticket cost. As such, there is no compensation due should we be unable to provide any complimentary refreshments for any reason

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: