Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:38 London Paddington to Swansea
21:16 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:44 London Paddington to Hereford
21:08 London Paddington to Reading
Delayed
18:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:38 London Paddington to Swansea
19:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:30 Cardiff Central to Warminster
20:44 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
21:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 21:45:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[134] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[49] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[47] access for all at Devon stations report
[30] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[25] Misleading advertising?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Split' Advance Purchase tickets  (Read 7215 times)
devon_metro

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2011, 13:07:09 »

Just curious as to whether I am covered for delays when using split advance purchase tickets?

I've booked Southampton Airport - Reading - Yatton tickets, since the route via Salisbury is shut. I've given myself 24 mins in Reading IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

Cost ^13 as oppose to ^33 walk up!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 13:53:49 »

No you're not.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 16:20:32 »

No you're not.

Not quite as simple as that. It depends whether you take the restrictions on Advance Purchase tickets as being more important than the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) allow you to buy multiple tickets for one journey, so should you be delayed on the first part of your journey (provided you catch your first booked train) then I would expect the railways to honour the NRCoC and allow you later travel on the second or subsequent parts of your journey. NRCoC makes no destinction regarding the type of tickets held. As long as you have allowed sufficient time at your interchange station (24 mins at Reading is more than enough) then I'd say you are fine to catch the next train if you missed your booked one through a delay to your previous leg.

Over at RailUK Forums this subject crops up with regularity and the two schools of thought are both passionately argued. There's plenty of evidence there from on train staff that they are happy to allow later travel as long as it was the railway that caused the delay. I, too, am in the camp that NRCoC takes precedent.

Should you experience a problem by not being on your 2nd booked train, with on train staff who say you are not valid to travel, then I'd suggest only accepting a UPFN (Un Paid Fare Notice (used on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)))) and not parting with any more money.

Unfortunately it's not in the TOCs (Train Operating Company) interests to provide a definitive answer when it comes to using split Advances, so we are only really left with what the NRCoC says:

19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey....

I'm attending a Fares Symposium with members of RailUK Forums in a couple of weeks time and I've no doubt that this issue will be high up the agenda!

If you'd like to read more on both interpretations then try this:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=combination+of+tickets+advance+site:railforums.co.uk&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=1&cad=b

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 16:41:48 »

I would probably agree with the post above, except to say that you'll likely have more sympathy from the gripper on Train 2 IF both (or more) journeys are on the same TOC (Train Operating Company) *and* the delay was rail-related.

I've known grippers on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) not care two hoots for the reason given when their train was missed owing to another TOCs delay. It is definitely *your* responsibility to be at your joining station in time to catch the connection.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 16:45:39 »

Thanks for that BNM, I did think that was the case. In the unlikely event that the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is delayed then i'd simply approach the Train Manager on the Bristol service and ask if it was ok to travel. Afterall - the railway is inconviencing me by having to go via Reading if I wish to avoid a god awful coach journey, which with luggage is not fun. FGW (First Great Western) TMs(resolve) are generally ok I find, so long as you approach them before boarding and don't assume you will be ok.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 16:50:45 »

Thanks for that BNM, I did think that was the case. In the unlikely event that the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is delayed.....

Unlikely? Not in my experience!

I have a meeting with FGW (First Great Western) Revenue Protection in the next month or so, so will ask that very question & get the answer from the horses mouth....
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 17:46:23 »

FGW (First Great Western) TMs(resolve) are generally ok I find, so long as you approach them before boarding and don't assume you will be ok.

Reading through the thread I was going to say that - I usually find if you approach the TM before getting on (and not just FGW) they are usually more sympathetic than if you just wait for them to find you.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 20:38:48 »

Have to say that my attitude when travelling with split tickets (only done it very occasionally with advance tickets) is that I know I'm taking a modest risk by doing it and it's not reasonable for me to expect any staff to bend the rules if I come unstuck.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:14:07 »

I am with the NCoC interpretation of the rules (as, I note, is Barry Doe).  These are you minimum rights and no-one can take them away from you.  You should stick up for yourself cos the TOCs (Train Operating Company) are not going to do it for you. (but obviously be as helpful, calm and businesslike with any staff who take a different view). 
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 13:06:02 »

a majority of FGW (First Great Western) staff are good as gold with such situations should they arise, as long as you approach them first,
there is the odd jobsworth but overall very good,

we had a family bereavement last summer, when we  were in London on a leisure trip when i got the call, went to Paddington, spoke with the train staff about returning home to Cornwall early, we were due to travel that evening, but went to paddington around mid morning
The train manager was very compassionate, and he also allowed us to travel in first class without charge. My partner was quite clearly distressed at the time, which probably showed the TM(resolve) we were genuine and not trying to "blag" it.

As long as they are made aware of circumstances prior to boarding the staff are normally very accomodating.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 14:21:55 »

Cheers for the comments chaps, should be fine. Next challenge will be making sure i'm at Southampton Airport for 16:22!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 22:26:28 »

A further addendum to the good discretion shown by FGW (First Great Western) TMs(resolve):

I recently travelled on GroupSave 4 tickets from Taunton to Paddington. One of our party dropped out at the last minute due to illness and I discovered it was not possible to zero excess from GS4 to GS3, despite the total fare being the same. Told by the booking office at Taunton that the only option was to buy GS3 and submit the GS4 tickets for refunds, minus ^10 admin fee. As I'd split the fare into three legs that would've been ^30 in admin fees.

Instead, went for the option of boarding with original tickets, seeking out the conductor/TM and explaining. Did this for every train and each FGW conductor/TM encountered was more than happy to let us travel.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 17:45:16 »

Pleased to announce that I am posting this from onboard the 1700 Pad - Bristol having easily made ny connection as we speed towards Swindon at 125 Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: