07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 10:07:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[113] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[85] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[73] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[72] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[53] Broadgage unwell.
[46] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: HSTs to Weymouth in 2011?  (Read 18541 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 15:39:06 »

It doesn't explain why stop boards have been installed at Maiden Newton and Dorchester West though......

possibly for extra olympic trains?
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 16:17:19 »

didnt FGW (First Great Western) look at using a HST (High Speed Train) on the summer saturday service to/from weymouth during the duration of the olympic's
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 20:26:22 »

be carefull what you wish for.....  Roll Eyes

doesnt this kind of make a class 155?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
CliveD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 11:48:18 »

tramway, thanks for the info - I obviously missed that little nugget when scanning the timetable.

Anyway, thought I'd venture out to see what delights turned up on the 0909 today, and was "rewarded" (if you can call it that) with in order 150123+153318+150129. A total of 10 passengers on board from Bath, 12 from Westbury, and 9 forward from Frome. Problem is that although this train as well as the 1655 return are shown in FGW (First Great Western)'s pocket timetables, they do not appear if you use the NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) (checked on the FGW and National Rail web sites). No surpise really, as neither service is shown in the Network Rail National Rail Timetable.

However, in conversation with the train crew, it does seem that it is still on the cards that the 0909 and 1655 could be worked by at HST (High Speed Train). The issue appears to be whether Bristol HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) drivers are taken time out to learn the route to Weymouth themselves, or have Bristol West drivers acting as pilotman. A case of watch this space to see what (might or could) happen?

And just for info, the following Weymouth service was formed of ... 2 coaches!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 13:46:00 »

How many years has this extra summer service been running and yet it still doesn't appear on NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) or in the National Rail Timetable? It really isn't good enough not to be showing this service. FGW (First Great Western) really need to get this fixed so it does appear in all timetables so everyone knows it's running before the peak summer traffic gets going.
ashurstdave

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 22:56:31 »

I telephoned ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) Management this afternoon ( 2nd June ) regarding this matter.  The reply was it is an unadvertised additional train and First GW (Great Western) have not informed NRES that it is a permanent service, therefore it is up to FGW (First Great Western) to make the decision whether they want it to be downloaded into Journey Planner.  However, if the service is unadvertised ( eg. relief, excursion or additional), FGW would not have to give notice of its withdrawal.     
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 23:03:38 »

Thank you very much for that useful information, ashurstdave - and may I offer you a warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!

Chris  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 19:06:03 »

However, if the service is unadvertised ( eg. relief, excursion or additional), FGW (First Great Western) would not have to give notice of its withdrawal.     

That's quite a telling comment from ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here). FGW will receive no penalties and the service will not affect statistics if it is cancelled. And with another service within the hour in both directions then FGW have no obligation to pay charter compensation to passengers should the service(s) be cancelled.

Clever. Possibly even Machiavellian.  Undecided

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 17:55:46 »

Talking of 3 X 153 working the Weymouth additional this Summer, I recall in the Wales and West Days (late nineties to Millenium) a 09 05 Sats Cardiff to Paignton and return in the Summer worked by 3 x 153 and during High Summer was 4 X 153.

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 19:41:22 »

unless the driver is unlucky enough to end up in one of the new cabs which is more cramped than the other the class 153 is ideal if you have a few together, loads of space for luggage comfy seats big windows tables..... bit noisy but then again so would all the kids on the weymouth service?
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 12:39:30 »

be carefull what you wish for.....  Roll Eyes

doesnt this kind of make a class 155?

Err that's not a Picture of a 3car class 153 but a Single 153 standing in front of a pair of 153's coupled together

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 17:11:32 »

ok so i took the picture 2 seconds too late, i assure you that the 3 class 153's arrived ecs from plymouth and i took this photo seconds after they split, i was hoping noone would notice the error  Tongue
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 18:30:22 »

... as if we didn't have enough pedants on the forum already ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 22:36:21 »

Talking of 3 X 153 working the Weymouth additional this Summer, I recall in the Wales and West Days (late nineties to Millenium) a 09 05 Sats Cardiff to Paignton and return in the Summer worked by 3 x 153 and during High Summer was 4 X 153.

Ran through to Wessex Trains days too!

Re: Class 153 cabs - the 'small end' is apparently more spacious for the driver than the original cab!
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 21:26:39 »

Can anybody confirm, please,  that the extra Saturday Weymouth is actually being worked by 3 X 153 ?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: