07:27 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Delayed
05:23 Westbury to Salisbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 05:41:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[120] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[90] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[77] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[76] Saturdays: Rochdale / Manchester onto the Settle and Carlisle
[56] Broadgage unwell.
[49] Newcomers start here ... and a reference for older hands

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 5379 times)
Heart-of-Wessex

legendaryrain3@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:43:03 »

Hello all!

Here is a bit about me. My name is James Underwood, I'm 24 and live in Trowbridge.
I was born in Trowbridge but lived in Melksham from the 80's right up to 2006 where I moved to my own flat in Trowbridge.

I am a huge rail enthusiast, my main aim is to complete every train for sight and visit every station that exists in the UK (United Kingdom) (bit of a mission yes!)

I am a regular traveller on the FGW (First Great Western) network, and often travel on the Heart-of-Wessex ranger and sometimes the Freedom of South West and Freedom of Severn and Solent rovers.

That's about all really, any questions then feel free to ask Smiley
Also, I'm not the best at grammar or explaining things well due to a small condition I have which I won't go into detail about, but please accept my apologies for this!

Kind Regards,

James.

Proud fan of the Pacer fleet!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:23:59 »

Hello Heart-of-Wessex and a warm welcome to the Coffee Shop.  Cheesy

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:24:02 »

Hi, James ... welcome to the forum.  I *am* going to take you up on that invite - we used to get a lot of posts from a chap called Jim who, as I recall, also lived in Trowbridge - there are lots of his posts in the archive.  For the sake of myself and other older members, can you tell us whether or not you one and the same person?  Thanks!

P.S.  Trowbridge to London - Sundays 3rd July and 17th July to 28th August - new service at 07:33, change at Swindon. Also good for day out to Didcot. Hope we'll see you on the train.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:54:37 »

Hi, James ... welcome to the forum.  I *am* going to take you up on that invite - we used to get a lot of posts from a chap called Jim who, as I recall, also lived in Trowbridge - there are lots of his posts in the archive.  For the sake of myself and other older members, can you tell us whether or not you one and the same person?  Thanks!

P.S.  Trowbridge to London - Sundays 3rd July and 17th July to 28th August - new service at 07:33, change at Swindon. Also good for day out to Didcot. Hope we'll see you on the train.

although the other jim/ james is only 14/ 15 according to one of his introduction posts so wouldnt of been living there in the 80s? although being 24 would make you born in 1987??? so wouldnt of lived there all through the 80s?

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 12:27:53 »

Rich,  I'm sure you're likely to be right, but not everyone's such an avid researcher as you.   I get confused at times between james158, 159jim, james_h, jim (I'm sure that at least 3 of those 4 are different people), and by taking up this James's invite, we can know not to assume prior knowledge of old threads.   Put another way - I show a first time visitor to our training centre around, pointing out lots of facilities, on the first visit.  By the fifth visit, he'll know darned well where the coffee machine is and I would be wasting everyone's time and patience showing him.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:43:08 »

i see your point grahame, i was equally irritated by the posts by one of the above mentioned asking questions, then not responding to replies, despite having made other posts in the forum!

Heart-of-Wessex

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 13:12:24 »

woah woah!

I was not inteding to cause a stir on here. I am sorry for the short post, there was a bit more I could have added but it was 07:40 odd in the morning, and I needed to get to work for a half past 8 start in the office.

I am just near the end of my Lunch break now, just thought I would come on here and explain things. I see Grahams point and am not offended at all, I can see the link, but I am happy to back myself up that I am not Jim.

I do know of Jim Hale you speak of, and have spoken to him before. I know he has not lived in Melksham at all before, and I know he didn't seem to be a follower of Save The Train etc. I haven't read any of his posts and I can guess that most of it is rants?

I didn't know bignosemac was on here, could you confirm that I am not a 15 year old, as I am the same Heart-of-Wessex found on the Rail UK (United Kingdom) Forums.
I also have a different youtube account to jim (search for username james143611).
One thing, I have also met Graham before, at a save the train meeting in Melksham many years ago. I have seen you since and was going to say hello but I think you have forgotten me, it was only breif and I know you see a lot of faces so I would understand.

I am sorry if I caused trouble, but I am who I am (if you want a drivers licence, I can send one for ID purposes) and am on here to talk about the network and support the melksham service, not cause rants about it.
Thank you for the info on the London trip Graham, I do hope to travel on the train in August on a Sunday, will look up some advance fares first though.
Note, I will be slow in responding to any questions in the day time, as I say I am at work from 8:30 - 16:30.

Kind Regards,

James.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 14:26:35 »

James, thanks for getting back ... I got a query "is this someone we already know" and just thought it most straightforward to simply ask.   Thanks for the confirmation.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 15:48:54 »

James Underwood and 'Jim' definately not the same person. Think i've met both to confirm!  Smiley
Heart-of-Wessex

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 17:26:39 »

Yes I think I met you once briefly at Hawkeridge Jn bridge before heading off to the station to get the skips up to Bristol on the RugEx, complete with ex-Valley Lines Virgin MK2s (god that was some time ago!)

I am sorry Grahame (I spelt your name wrong in the last reply, I didn't mean to Embarrassed)
I have re-read my post, I probably typed it all wrong, I didn't mean to sound...what's the word... aggressive or anything along those lines, just thought I would prove that I am not another Jim  Smiley

Anyway, now that's over, I hope to enjoy my stay with you nutters lovely people  Tongue

Grahame, you have a PM.

Regards,

James.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 18:59:33 »

Yes I think I met you once briefly at Hawkeridge Jn bridge before heading off to the station to get the skips up to Bristol on the RugEx, complete with ex-Valley Lines Virgin MK2s (god that was some time ago!)

Yep - that's where I was thinking I had met you too.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:53:32 »

thats some impressive memory being able to pinpoint when you met each other!!

Heart-of-Wessex

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 09:12:49 »

I believe it was 2007, but it was at Hawkeridge bridge, and Devon_Metro was on the east side, standing on the bit of road near the fence (north side) just off the bridge itself Smiley

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: