27/04/24 12:49 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
27/04/24 14:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
27/04/24 15:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 02:13:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[141] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[73] access for all at Devon stations report
[47] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[17] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[3] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[2] Cornish delays

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: EAST Coast to abolish its last restaurant cars later next month  (Read 7300 times)
woody

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2011, 22:53:48 »

EAST Coast will abolish its last restaurant cars later next month
http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/general/2011/04/13-east-coast-restaurants-seem-set.html
Instead, all passengers in First will be offered complimentary food at their seats, following a practice established by Virgin on the West Coast route almost a decade ago.
 Meanwhile, the British restaurant car still survives ^ just ^ on four First Great Western trains each day. The company said it had no plans to withdraw them.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:48:10 »

At the time of writing I note that an early day motion has been supported by 14 MPs (Member of Parliament) - but only two in FGW (First Great Western) land - and both of those in West London. http://www.edms.org.uk/2010-2011/1442.htm

I am a firm supporter of Pullman Restaurant cars and believe they add to the journey's attraction over other forms of transport.

If I have a morning meeting in the West Country I can travel down on the sleeper and then have a proper meal at lunchtime on the way back - and then work the rest of the day and into the evening without having to worry about self-catering.

Alternatively I can travel down on one of the evening trains, eat on the way, and stay in a hotel - knowing I will have arrived after most food places of any quality have closed.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 17:07:13 »

It sounds like a backward step, but that is known as progress !
It must however be said that the meals to be offered at-seat instead do appear to be proper meals, rather than the hot snacks offered by FGW (First Great Western) on travelling chef services.

On the other hand, the food offered by Virgin SOUNDS quite attractive, but I have been very dissapointed with that actually provided.
Nothing like the meals on FGWs few remaining restaurants which are excellent.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 19:14:38 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 17:09:42 »

I can say I've never eaten in an east coast restaurant car but I do know - they are pretty good....

Peterborough to KGX is about an hour but I have yet to have them fail to provide me with almost anything from the menu - and the lasagna at 6.50 is bloody good

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 18:11:44 »

Details and pictures of the new East Coast First Class food offering can be found here:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/east-coast-unveils-first-class-food-revamp

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 19:34:40 »

Details and pictures of the new East Coast First Class food offering can be found here:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/east-coast-unveils-first-class-food-revamp

LOOKS OK, but so does the airline food offered by Virgin.
I fail to see how offering free food is going to save money, as is implied.
I also doubt that serving food throughout first class, as appears to be proposed, will be popular with those who dont wish to dine.
The serving and consuming of food and drink involves a certain amount of disruption and is unlikely to be popular in the quite coach.
It might be better to confine the food service to the first class vehicle next to, or incorporating the kitchen, this would minimise the staff time and trouble and avoid disturbance elswhere in the train.
To avoid wastful or needless requests for food, it might be better to charge for the meals, not perhaps the full cost including all the overheads of running a railway, but a charge of from ^10 up to ^30 say, according to what is ordered
At busy times, this service should be for First class passengers only, though if space permits it might be reasonable to admit standard class as well. It would be well to advertise the facility, perhaps calling it a "restaurant car"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:27:10 »

I took a trip up the ECML (East Coast Main Line) last week and the revamped catering arrangements are being given plenty of advertising at stations.  My train was on time both ways, with a well stocked trolley service, an on-train cleaner.  I was impressed, as I had some horror journeys back in the much maligned GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) days.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:34 »

A recent report in a railway magazine is very negative indeed about the new arrangements.
It is reported that "food is free, so we dont have to provide anything" and that sandwidges are offered promptly, and THEN the menus are brought around, with those who have partaken of a sandwich refused a meal.

Time to bring proper restaurants back and end this failed experiment I feel.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 13:01:44 »

I would disagree. The new service is excellent, having used it many times over the last year. There is a decent quantity of food, the staff are very friendly. On a 3 hour journey, it is possible to have 6 cups of tea, 6 soft drinks, and 3 rounds of food (sandwiches, hot meal crisps and cake).

Before this, you had to pay for the food. Why on earth would I pay extra to travel First Class and then have to pay more for refreshments? This way of doing First Class is here to stay. The sooner FGW (First Great Western) modernise their offering the better.

Perhaps have some proper meals served (like the VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises) Primo option), but it should still be included in the ticket price. There is a reason restaurant cars have been axed.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 16:10:28 »

In the interests of fairness and correctness, FGW (First Great Western) does not require you to pay a first class fare to use the Pullman restaurant: it's open to standard class passengers, subject to there being available space, and although they are technically expected to return to standard class accommodation at the end of their meal I have not heard of people being rushed to finish their food. So not strictly true to say you'd have to pay for a first class fare and then again for the food.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 16:58:47 »

Fare enough, but the current excellent complimentary service was being compared to the old service, where you had to pay for the food after paying for a 1st class ticket.

Obviously 2nd class passengers can have a meal in the restaurant car, but this is a waste of space. If you want to eat, go First Class and enjoy the complimentary service!

The VT (Virgin Trains - former franchises)/EC method also makes it easier for busy commuters to do work, whereas I'd imagine that it would be frowned upon if someone got out their laptop/papers in the restaurant car!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 18:07:10 »

A 161 page thread with over 2500 posts, the majority negative, about East Coast's 1st Class Comps is running over at RailUK Forums.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44279

No need to read the whole lot. Pick a few pages at random and you'll find negative comments and reviews which paint a very poor picture.

My last two trips on East Coast have been Standard Class so I'm yet to experience the 1st 'service'. On one of those trips I could've chosen a relatively cheap 1st Class Advance but chose not two partly because of the peer reviews I'd read about the poor service.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 19:10:27 »

Why don't you try it then?

Remember that Railforums is mainly enthusiasts and staff members - not a cross section of the travelling UK (United Kingdom) public. I'd imagine that most feedback is positive - you get plenty of high quality food and the drink keeps flowing without transactions! Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 19:54:03 »

As I said, I'll take the judgement of my peers. Many contributors to the RailUK thread are business travellers who happen to be rail enthusiasts. That said I may well try it soon, but one trip may not be representative. That's why I'm more than happy to believe the poor reviews from regular users.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 20:42:54 »

If I were on Business from say, London to Edinburgh, and could afford First Class i'd rather the option to buy a properly cooked meal than sandwiches and a microwaved meal if i'm lucky.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: