19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
Delayed
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 30, 2024, 18:20:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[82] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[61] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[53] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[31] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend First & Volo  (Read 14163 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 15:38:19 »

I now avoid weekend travel as far as posible.
Part of the point of paying the first class fare is the hope or expectation that first class will be relatively free of drunks, dogs, screaming children, rucksacks and baby carriages. On weekday trains this is normally the case.

Weekend first however removes much of the attraction since first class now resembles steerage, but with larger seats.
On a recent weekend journy from Taunton to London, I already had a first class ticket. First class was very crowded, with every seat taken either by weekend first ticket holders, or by their infants, luggage, and belongings.
I only got a seat by removing luggage, against the protests of the owners, whose children screamed for much of the journey.
Not an experience that I would choose to repeat ! But also no grounds for formal complaint or compensation. After all, it would be argued that I got the seat that I paid for, and that FGW (First Great Western) cant be liable for the behaviour of other passengers.

Weekdays only for me now, except in emergencies.

And on 2 weeday trains, we still have a restaurant.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 20:26:22 »

Certainly aim for the 12:00 or 12:55 restaurant services if I can!  I thought weekend first was confined to one coach so regular first class passengers could opt to avoid the problems you encountered?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 20:33:09 »

I thought weekend first was confined to one coach so regular first class passengers could opt to avoid the problems you encountered?
That restriction on which carriage/s Weekend First applied to was removed quite sometime ago. It used to be coaches F and G with H reserved for full fare ticket holders. In fact you pretty much have to go back to the days of Intercity or the early days of the Great Western franchise where this restriction on using coach H applied.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:26 »

The withdrawal of the facility to buy Weekend First in advance and book a seat is a topic that has popped up on RailUK Forums in the past couple of days. With similar confusion about the new retail procedures.

It appears that 'The Manual' retail staff refer to has yet to be updated, so rail staff who are RailUK contributors have been innocently giving out duff advice.

I smiled to myself at that. It's nice to see rail staff don't always get up to date information either. Of course FGW (First Great Western)'s website says you can still book WF in advance of travel.  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 08:10:05 »

It's nice to see rail staff don't always get up to date information either.

On my last trip to Darlington, I didn't fancy returning on the Bank Holiday Friday, so I nipped up to Scotland for a few days instead.

I'd arranged most of my trip at Barnstaple Station (Off-Peak Return Barnstaple-Darlington, 1st Advance Darlington-Glasgow, Open Return Glasgow-Taynuilt, and Std Advance Glasgow-Warrington - Warrington being the most northernly station on the West Coast where I could use the return part of the Barnstaple-Darlington ticket).

One thing I forgot to get was a seat reservation from Warrington to Birmingham so, with a bit of time at Darlington, I tried to book it there.

At first they tried to claim that my BNP (Barnstaple)-DAR ticket wasn't valid via Warrington (although they had no problem with me using bits of multiple tickets for the journey). I tend to come prepared for situations like this, so pulled out the bits of the Routeing Guide including the three maps that applied to the journey I was taking (TP+CM+CE, if anyone cares).

After a bit of ferreting around in the back office, the supervisor brought out a fairly tatty ring binder, and said that my ticket was only valid via Derby and Birmingham.

I then pointed out that the date on my copy was March 2011, whilst his was August 1996!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 09:25:16 »

Do the three maps include the date, or did you have to copy the cover sheet as well?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 09:45:43 »

It appears that 'The Manual' retail staff refer to has yet to be updated, so rail staff who are RailUK contributors have been innocently giving out duff advice.

I smiled to myself at that. It's nice to see rail staff don't always get up to date information either.

I've seen the memo / notice to Retail Staff on this change....so theyu've failed to read it.
TerminalJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 11:00:12 »

Do the three maps include the date, or did you have to copy the cover sheet as well?

The date was on the Routeing pages, not the maps.

Wouldn't have mattered, since at least two of the three maps didn't exist in the 1996 version!

Daily Mail and Daily Express readers please click here.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 14:08:07 »

I smiled to myself at that. It's nice to see rail staff don't always get up to date information either.

I've seen the memo / notice to Retail Staff on this change....so theyu've failed to read it.

Or failed to receive it. The staff offering advice over at RailUK may not have been FGW (First Great Western). A paper memo may not have been distributed to every UK (United Kingdom) ticket office.

'The Manual' is there to help all retail staff  fulfil their TSA (Ticketing and Settlement Agreement.) obligations to offer correct and impartial information. Being an electronic document it shouldn't take 6 weeks and counting to update. FGW are responsible for the entry regarding their WF tickets. ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) are responsible for updating.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 16:06:09 »

Of course FGW (First Great Western)'s website says you can still book WF in advance of travel.  Roll Eyes

Haven't checked recently then? :-)

Oh, and the home page has had a lick of paint too!

One piece of feedback I've already provided - The Live Updates (one thing everyone goes looking at) are no longer on the front page, you have to click through to another page.....better back on home page, methinks.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 16:15:22 »

Haven't checked recently then? :-)

Nope. Website won't render properly on a 4:3 monitor. And some links are dead. I'll forgive FGW (First Great Western) the teething troubles, although they could've used a beta site to iron out problems.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 16:34:56 »

Indeed, I've just found the same problem. Have fed it back.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 16:48:36 »

It would appear that they are working on the new layout while the site is 'live'. Not the best way to update/refresh a website.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 16:53:11 »

Indeed, about 30 minutes longer, I understand.

'tis an odd way of doing this.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 16:56:22 »

I see on Twitter that the FGW (First Great Western) site is having a total overhaul in the Autumn.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: