Bristol Bus Boycott announced (*)

Train RunningDelayed
23:03 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 29, 2024, 00:01:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[129] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[111] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[41] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[39] access for all at Devon stations report
[25] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[20] Misleading advertising?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do when the ticket machines butcher your online purchased tickets  (Read 8149 times)
Pineapple

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:36:01 »

"Butcher" is about the only family-friendly word I can think of that captures what happened.

A few weeks ago, I bought 2 Advance Single tickets for the 29th April (for BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) and back, including reservations for both journeys) and a Plusbus (for Bristol, mostly because getting a railcard discount on bus tickets is very much worth it; I can walk to my destination in Cardiff) at thetrainline. I elected to pick up my tickets at the station, to see if it was something that works for me (I would usually prefer to have them sent to me by post, as I have done before, but this will not always be convenient for me), and planned to pick them up while I was in town on any of the days before then.

When I went to pick up my tickets on Sunday at BRI, the ticket machine printed the Plusbus fine, but for my other tickets, it printed out seat reservations without actual tickets. I stood in front of the machine for about two minutes, looking at the tickets, noticing that they had the line "only valid with ticket number #####", refering to ticket numbers that I didn't have, thinking "this ain't right". The mackine hadn't printed out anything else in that time (not that I expected it to; it had said on screen that it was only printing 3 tickets), so I went to the ticket desk.

I explained my situation, and after looking at what the system had done (including printing out a few pages titled "Transaction Details", which among other things, had my debit card number on them in plain text; I hope that those were shredded after I was done. I really do...), he told me that according to the system, the ticket had printed out correctly (...), that I would have to buy a new ticket to travel (which I did, although an off-peak return was cheaper at that point), and that the only thing I could do was file a complaint against the ticket machine.

So... now I'm ^7.05 out of pocket, and preparing a complaint. But I'm wondering if there's something else I can do. I used the online chat in thetrainline's support section, and the person I spoke to mentioned that this is something I would need to take up with the station staff (and rightly so, IMO (in my opinion)), and that, according to the NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage), "it is their duty to print the new ticket for me". After reading the document over, about the only relevant thing I can find is clause 7.

Quote from: NRCoC (National Rail Conditions of Carriage) Clause 7
The Train Company whose trains you have the right to use, or who has agreed to provide you with any other goods or services, is responsible for providing the goods or services it has agreed to provide.

Does this apply here? And is there anything else that I can do, apart from this complaint letter?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:27 »

I had that....... except in my case I had the tickets not the reservations!

I went to try to find the TM(resolve) once I got on the train and explained the situation

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 14:05:07 »

The type of machine used at BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) has two hoppers and two printers.  One prints all the reservations, the other prints the actual ticket.  There must have been a problem with the ticket printer.  Did the ticket office person actually check the machine to see if there was a problem?  Did people using the machine later also complain?

I would be pursuing FGW (First Great Western) as their machine was faulty and they also told you to buy a new ticket.

BTW (by the way), buy your tickets from the FGW next time.  It is The Trainline but just branded differently and without any booking fees.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 16:46:23 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, Pineapple - and sorry to hear about your bad experience with that machine at Bristol.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: